April Fool's Day 10% Body Weight Loss Challenge >

April Fool's Day 10% Body Weight Loss Challenge

Community
Notices

April Fool's Day 10% Body Weight Loss Challenge

Old 02-28-2011, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

Hello all,

Kaitlin, stay positive. I think they have already given you sound advice. With the amount you work out, it is possible you are gaining muscle weight. If you go to a gym they sometimes offer to measure your body fat % there, or you can do it online with your measurements (I don't know how accurate it is, though). And definitely if you lower your calorie intake to 1200 you will see results. Do your clothes fit differently? I find it makes me feel a lot better if a pair of jeans is not so tight than seeing a 1 pound loss on the scale.

Mike: congratulations on managing to lose weight even in camp. Sounds like you had a really nice time (and ate yummy food).

Geoffers: Looks like the Zone Diet is really working for you! Congratulations.

As for me, I am down one pound this week, which is good. Halfway there for the challenge and even though I don't know if I will lose the pounds in the weeks that are left, I am happy to see results and will continue at it.

Have a great week everyone!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by MAIN80
Hello all,

Kaitlin, stay positive. I think they have already given you sound advice. With the amount you work out, it is possible you are gaining muscle weight. If you go to a gym they sometimes offer to measure your body fat % there, or you can do it online with your measurements (I don't know how accurate it is, though). And definitely if you lower your calorie intake to 1200 you will see results. Do your clothes fit differently? I find it makes me feel a lot better if a pair of jeans is not so tight than seeing a 1 pound loss on the scale.

Mike: congratulations on managing to lose weight even in camp. Sounds like you had a really nice time (and ate yummy food).

Geoffers: Looks like the Zone Diet is really working for you! Congratulations.

As for me, I am down one pound this week, which is good. Halfway there for the challenge and even though I don't know if I will lose the pounds in the weeks that are left, I am happy to see results and will continue at it.

Have a great week everyone!

Main80, COngrats on the pound loss! You are doing great. Everyone is so encouraging here- so kind!

Thank you everyone!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Kaitlin,
Measuring body fat isn't an exact science. Pick 3 online calculators, get 3 different results! But they all use the same principle:- they measure bony bits of you (hips, wrist) and compare them to the fleshier bits (waist, forearms). From that they calculate your body fat%. If you can find a reliable machine to do it then fine, but the machine I was using was so inconsistent it's ridiculous. You could try Home Body Fat Test, a FREE site which could give a starting point for your BF%, but you'd have to go back in a couple of weeks to measure progress. I like this particular site because it seems to give low results compared to others!!

If you have a smoothie for breakfast and an apple for snack, you're basically getting nothing but fruit sugar carbs all the way until lunchtime. Have you thought about some natural yogurt or 2% milk to get a little protein earlier in the day? I only ask because my Zone diet makes a point of not only having a good 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat mix, but having that mix in every meal. The Zone theory is that when you get a sugar rush from carbs the body produces insulin which encourages the absorption of the sugars and therefore inhibits the release of stored fat. I know you're not following the Zone, but perhaps you might want to consider getting some more balance into your meals.

Are you getting enough protein? The general RDA of protein in the USA is 0.8 g per KG of bodyweight. You're 191.4lb, which is 87KG, which means 70g (2.5oz) of protein per day. You work out a lot so you could increase that a little to say 3oz. You should be eating that much every day, and then cut back on the carbs to fit your calorie target. It's extra carbs that get laid down as fat, not extra protein.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:06 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default The Home Stretch!

Don't look now, gang, but it's March 1st!

Four short weeks left in the Challenge. Some have already met (and exceeded) their Challenge goal, some are close, and some need to shift into high gear.

Let's put the pedal to the metal and get this done!

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all the support and advice guys! I'll try them all

And you're right michael...4 weeks left- this is going to go super fast!!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Geoffers
Hey Kaitlin,
Measuring body fat isn't an exact science. Pick 3 online calculators, get 3 different results! But they all use the same principle:- they measure bony bits of you (hips, wrist) and compare them to the fleshier bits (waist, forearms). From that they calculate your body fat%. If you can find a reliable machine to do it then fine, but the machine I was using was so inconsistent it's ridiculous. You could try Home Body Fat Test, a FREE site which could give a starting point for your BF%, but you'd have to go back in a couple of weeks to measure progress. I like this particular site because it seems to give low results compared to others!!

If you have a smoothie for breakfast and an apple for snack, you're basically getting nothing but fruit sugar carbs all the way until lunchtime. Have you thought about some natural yogurt or 2% milk to get a little protein earlier in the day? I only ask because my Zone diet makes a point of not only having a good 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat mix, but having that mix in every meal. The Zone theory is that when you get a sugar rush from carbs the body produces insulin which encourages the absorption of the sugars and therefore inhibits the release of stored fat. I know you're not following the Zone, but perhaps you might want to consider getting some more balance into your meals.

Are you getting enough protein? The general RDA of protein in the USA is 0.8 g per KG of bodyweight. You're 191.4lb, which is 87KG, which means 70g (2.5oz) of protein per day. You work out a lot so you could increase that a little to say 3oz. You should be eating that much every day, and then cut back on the carbs to fit your calorie target. It's extra carbs that get laid down as fat, not extra protein.

I'll add is some milk to the smoothie for protein or maybe some protein poweder....THANKS
Old 03-02-2011, 12:08 AM
FitDay Member

Kaitlin, I'm sorry you've hit a frustrating plateau. I've read in other threads about calorie cycling to break such plateau's, and I kind of understand the concept but not well enough to try to explain or apply it to your situation. Gosh, 6'1" and in the 190s sounds pretty darn healthy to me, but what do i know .

You might want to research the calorie cycling to see if it is a potential solution for you. I agree with Michael about significant calorie deficit for results. At the same time, we all have to eventually find a groove we can live in after we've reached our ultimate goals. So be careful not to cut below your comfort level.

Lots of smart people here with lots of experience and advice on nutrition balance, and I'm listening closely always trying to pick up some good knowledge.

Good luck!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Dbreakdown!

I think I am in "healthy" weight range - but for personal satisfaction I'd like to loose anyother 10 pounds..and mantain that! It will be so nice once i can just workout and mantain the weight..not worry about it so much!

I've heard of calorie cyclin before, but not that much- anyone know more about it??
Old 03-03-2011, 12:13 AM
FitDay Member

This week is almost over! Time is going by so fast it is amazing! I made plans yesterday for a girls night on 4/1/11 and i was in shock that it is right around the bend! I told my friends "this is my deadline for my 180 goal, hopefully when i see you i'll be a bit more lean.."

How is everyones week going? I weighed myself this morning and i was 189.4 which is down 2 lbs from the 191.4 weigh in this monday... Which i am happy with! However- frightfull it will go back up over 190! I have nothing going on this weekend so i can really just relax and not worry about having to go to a party and "resist"...

so, how is everyone? any fun weekend plans?-
Old 03-03-2011, 12:34 AM
FitDay Member

My week's going pretty well. I was another 2lb down on the scale this morning at 155lb. That's 10lb down for 2011 so far and just 5lb remaining to my April goal.

Also, I saw a physiotherapist today about my shoulder. I was worried I'd torn my rotator cuff but she told me that it was just inflammation of a fluid sac. She also commented favourably on my muscle tone which boosted my ego no end!! I've got some rehab exercises to do and some anti-inflamms to chow down on and I should be back to normal in a few weeks.

This weekend my daughter is being "confirmed" at Church. My wife takes her to Church each week, (I don't go because I don't believe a word of it) and there will be a bit of a family get-together afterwards. That'll test my diet!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.