Notices

What Am I Doing Wrong?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default What Am I Doing Wrong?

Posted in Men's Only...thought I would post here for more exposure.

I have started a regimen and entering my 5th week. I dropped my caloric intake to about 1400/day on average. I spend 30-40 minutes each morning working out. Initially I lost 7 pounds, but I keep bouncing with 2 pounds now. I will lose it and then 2 days later it is back. I switched from "white foods" to wheat (including pasta). I eat a breakfast of 2 eggs, 2 slices of whole wheat toast and 8oz of 1% milk. I drink 3 cups of black coffee. I have a banana at about 9:00am and then a lunch of about 400 calories. I drink 2 16.9oz bottles of 5 calorie Crystal Light throughout the day. About 3pm I have an apple. Dinner is restricted to 600 calories or less. A small snack around 9 pm of either light popcorn or a handful of almonds or an orange. I drink 12 oz of 1% milk with dinner. I usually have water or another Crystal light with snack.

My wife is following the same routine, except she eats salad for lunch(no dressing) and she has lost maybe 3 pounds. Neither one of us can figure out why we aren't losing anything. We are both getting frustrated at not seeing results. Any ideas or tips appreciated!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:50 AM
FitDay Member

Have you been keeping an eye on your carb intake? All carbs convert to sugar in your body, including the complex carbs although they convert much slower than the refined carbs. Bananas are very high in carbs, fruit in general has quite a lot of carbs mostly in the form of naturally occurring sugars, but again...sugar!

If you are using fitday, don't let your carb ratio go above 40% of your calorie intake. Another thing is to cut down on the crystal light, I know it is so much better than plain water but some studies have suggested that your body will react to the artificial sweeteners like they do to sugar, so even though you aren't adding calories, your body will have an insulin reaction to the aspertame.

Another idea is to eat more calories in the early part of your day, and less towards the end...meaning make your breakfast and lunch your biggest meals, and keep dinner light and avoid carbs in your evening snack.

Remember to drink a lot of water all thru your day.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering about the carbs. I am running about 48% right now, fat at 31% and protein at 21%. I'm not quite sure how to take the fruit thing as everything I read says to eat it daily. Is there fruit that is lower in carbs than others? I know from reading most of the recipes I can find that my diet is very hard to achieve as we do not like a lot of the foods, i.e. Salmon, collards, brussell sprouts, etc. I need to find a source for "normal" people food...lol!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:50 AM
FitDay Member

These all seem like sound recommendations, and I agree with the part of eating less as it gets later in the day, maybe even consider removing the evening snack if possible. You do want to get your carb ratio to less than 40% as well. One other recommendation is to try and "mix it up" with your regimen. For instance, have an apple one day, but try carrot sticks another day, and then some other low-calorie snack another day.

Is your workout all cardio? If so, try adding some weight training because muscle will help your metabolism burn fat faster.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:00 AM
FitDay Member

My regimen is a combination of cardio and weights. I use Jillian Micheal's video to workout with. I also walk at least once a day for 1 mile. So is it better to workout in the am or pm? We currently start our workout at 5am.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

hello again! 8)

I think working out in the morning is great as it kick starts your metabolism for the day!

I was not suggesting you cut out fruit by any means, just limit it...don't go on a fruit free for all!!! HAHA!! Apples are an excellent choice, you should google the health benefits of the simple apple (skin must be eaten of course), you will be amazed!

I am not a huge fan of the vegetables either, it makes this pretty restrictive. One trick I learned was to make a vegetable chicken soup, and add all kind of veggies to make your broth, run them thru a food processor first if you have one. You can throw in onions, carrots, turnips, spinach, brocolli, cauliflower, green beans, garlic, cabbage...well you get the idea. Once this has all cooked return it to the food processor (or put in blender) and it will turn into a really hardy thick soup base, full of veggies!! From there you can add veggies you do like, chicken and spices. Super low calorie, and low carb, and low fat, but filling and delish!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default What am I doing wrong?

Muscle weighs more than fat. Have you measured?
Old 02-02-2010, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by haarvik
Posted in Men's Only...thought I would post here for more exposure.

I have started a regimen and entering my 5th week. I dropped my caloric intake to about 1400/day on average. I spend 30-40 minutes each morning working out. Initially I lost 7 pounds, but I keep bouncing with 2 pounds now. I will lose it and then 2 days later it is back. I switched from "white foods" to wheat (including pasta). I eat a breakfast of 2 eggs, 2 slices of whole wheat toast and 8oz of 1% milk. I drink 3 cups of black coffee. I have a banana at about 9:00am and then a lunch of about 400 calories. I drink 2 16.9oz bottles of 5 calorie Crystal Light throughout the day. About 3pm I have an apple. Dinner is restricted to 600 calories or less. A small snack around 9 pm of either light popcorn or a handful of almonds or an orange. I drink 12 oz of 1% milk with dinner. I usually have water or another Crystal light with snack.

My wife is following the same routine, except she eats salad for lunch(no dressing) and she has lost maybe 3 pounds. Neither one of us can figure out why we aren't losing anything. We are both getting frustrated at not seeing results. Any ideas or tips appreciated!

First I am not sure how much you weigh but If it were me I would do at least 1 hour of working out,that means keeping your heart rate up (walking is fine to start) ,not sure of your age so cannot tell you were it should be.

Second dont weigh so much once or twice is enough you'll dive yourself nuts weighing all the time.

Third still limit your grain intake to maybe a slice or two of whole wheat bread a day and maybe a little starch once or twice a week.

Fourth you can still loose weight drinking coffee but it will slooow the process down because its a stimulant.

Fifth you need to drink some more water and STAY AWAY from crystal light.Alot of people think that drinking diet drinks make them lose weight but in all actuality it does the opposite it makes you gain weight.

And lastly why do you drink so much milk?Milk has alot of estrogen in it and is not good for men.They give cattle estrogen injections to make them produce more milk,believe it or not.

These are only things that work for me and are not intended to offend anyone.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:57 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by doggiesnot
...You do want to get your carb ratio to less than 40% as well.
Doggiesnot - Thanks for this tidbit. I'll be working to reduce my carbs from 52% ratio to 40% and see how that affects my weight loss regime. Thanks, Regina
Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 AM
FitDay Member

I am also a fan of a.m. walking and exercising - however, be cautious that because you did that in the a.m. you do nothing in the evening and sit and watch t.v. If you have the time, do some form of exercise in the evening as well. Maybe not as strenuous as a.m. workout but keep moving and off the couch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.