Notices

Need the Fit Day Community to Keep me on Track

Old 12-13-2010, 01:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default Need the Fit Day Community to Keep me on Track

x

Last edited by uga09; 02-07-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:33 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by uga09
Hello All,
I am a first time poster and I guess I am looking to everyone out there for two things: advice and encouragement. A little background: I am a 24 year old male; I finally had had enough of making excuses for myself about my weight so Oct 14 of this year I decided to do something about it. Since then I have gone from 226 lbs to 205 lbs. I have done this by being very careful of what and how much I eat. The problem is I have been “stuck” at 205 for 10 days now! I know plateaus are common, I guess I just need some advice on how to get through this one. My close term goal is to be below 200 lbs by New Year and 175 or below by March.
I’m pretty sure that 21 lbs in 60 days is not bad. But I just don’t see why I am stuck! I eat 1200 calories a day and sometimes struggle to get that high. I know that seems low but I eat when I am hungry and never feel like I am starving. Three weeks ago I felt well enough to get back in the gym and have been doing 40 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of strength/ weight exercises every other day. I guess I am just getting down on myself because I am trying to do everything “right” and am no longer being “rewarded.”
So if anyone out there has any advice or word of encouragement please let me know.

Robert
Robert, sounds like you are doing well. I'm sure you'll get advice to eat more, but I don't totally buy into the whole "starvation mode" thing (not that I'm an expert, by any means) and 1200 "good" calories can be fairly comfortable.

Plateaus just happen sometimes. Perhaps change up your exercise schedule? Do something every day?

You could also look at your foods--maybe there are some changes you would make--getting rid of some more simple carbs helped me during a plateau.

How much water do you drink? That can help as well.

Don't get discouraged--I bet you'll see a major drop soon!

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 AM
FitDay Member

X

Last edited by uga09; 05-05-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:26 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I'd see if you can't double that amount of water. And perhaps even some walking on "off" days?

If you're accurate in tracking your cals, then your body has to be burning more cals than you're taking in.

I really admire those stalwart individuals who can weigh in only once a month or less--they likely don't stress over plateaus as much as we do.

Personally, I've had a week or two period where I stayed the same or lost, perhaps a pound. Conversely, out of the blue I've had back-to-back 7 lb. loss weeks. I can't explain it so I try not to worry about it.

I've sure others more knowledgable than myself will add some suggestion.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-13-2010, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

My advice is to increase protein intake and decrease carbs. I always go down a bit if I eat 40% proteins. And maybe you could try to stop exercising for a few days and then start again?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:47 AM
FitDay Member

hi! just wanted to congratulate you on the amount of weight loss so far! you have done so well, so i guess a pat on the back is definately needed! when i platued, upping my protein intake and changing my exercise routine helped me get out of it, so maybe you want to give that a try?
best of luck!

Farah
Old 12-13-2010, 04:56 AM
FitDay Member

X

Last edited by uga09; 05-05-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:06 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by uga09
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I thought that since I was drinking sooo much more water than I used to that it was good enough. I am going to take your advice and see if I can get over the 64oz hurdle (hopefully I can do it and still have time outside of the bathroom). I have been eating a lot of turkey and chicken roll up for lunch and sometimes dinner, but I have been eating 1 cup of Quaker Oat Squares for breakfast. Im pretty sure there are some carbs in that, but that whole good carb vs bad is still confusing to me! One question, what is everyone's opinion on eating frozen dinners (healthy choice, smart ones etc)? I have done that some night because it is easy to compute the calories.....and between the gym and work I dont have a ton of time at night.

Robert
Robert, you may have this, but here's the nutritional info on your breakfast cereal:

100 calories per 1/2 cup

* Total Fat 2g 3%
* Saturated Fat 0g 0%
* Cholesterol 0mg 0%
* Sodium 160mg 7%
* Total Carbohydrate 21g 7%
* Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
* Protein 4g 8%

I'm new to FitDay, but I'm an old hand at dieting (unfortunately). One thing you might consider is changing out that breakfast. Maybe have bacon and eggs for a day or two, see if lowering that 42 g of carb (plus milk?) makes a difference for you.

But carry on, because you're doing well. Best thing to do in a plateau is to stay off the scale. But the times I've been stuck, changing things seems to help. The last time I lost a bunch of weight, I was stuck for two weeks, working out really hard at the gym. I cut my workouts back by about 80% and lost like crazy that next week or two.

But then you've got to change back. I think our bodies just get used to things and need to be reminded who's in charge every now and then.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Robert, Lynette is right on--I think you need a good blast of protein for breakfast. On weekdays I do half a cup of egg beaters, a couple slices of ww low-cal toast with REAL butter and usually 2oz of beef or some backon--about 300 cals total and it really holds you over well until close to lunch time.

I'm not much into oatmeal, but I belive the real oats that you have to cook are much better--less simple carbs and lots more protein and fiber.

I don't personally eat the microwave meals any more simply because of the horrendous amounts of sodium in most of them (not to mention the expense).

I think you've got some good advice so far and that you'll break this plateau in no time.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-13-2010, 05:36 AM
FitDay Member

Hi,

Congrats on all you've done, Robert!!! Big accomplishment already!!!

You mentioned chicken and turkey roll ups for lunch. Are you using cold cuts or the "real" stuff? Cause cold cuts have a lot of sodium. I have noticed on myself that sometimes excessive sodium can stall weight loss.

Just a thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.