The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Community
Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VirusInside
And just like that I'm down another 2 pounds! That brings my total to 30 pounds. It feels good to drop to the next "decade."

^-^ AWESOME VIRUS!!! You are doing so well.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by MelyndaG
This is my first time posting here. I'm 21, Female, 6'1" and 273lbs. My long term goal right now is 190. I feel like the immensity of the amount of weight I have to loose is intimidating, but I don't really know how to set a short term goal and what is reasonable.
I walk for 30 minutes most days of the week and I just started yoga and pilates.
As for my calories, I only started logging them a few days ago, but I seem to be keeping them around 1500 or so. My problem is that darn pie chart. I feel like I'm cutting back on the fatty foods, but the fat section always looks so big. I really hate the taste of low-fat dressings, mayo, and sour cream, so I try to stay away from foods I would be eating those things because it seems like the only way to get around eating low-fat is to just not eat it at all.
I've tried dieting before, but I've never been able to stick to it. I love cheese and pasta and steak and french fries.. I just really love food. It's also an issue that my family doesn't care. I say I want to buy healthy food and they make fun of me or say it's gross. I do the food shopping and make the grocery list, which gives me an advantage, but when I come home with no little debbie treats, people are unhappy. My mother is the same weight as me, but she is shorter. She has so many health problems it makes me sad. Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fibromyalgia, herniated discs in her back, and then some. I keep trying to get her to do this with me but she won't. She doesn't even check her blood sugar anymore. I already have fibromyalgia and the doctors say that if I don't change the way I eat, I will be diabetic in another 10-15 years. I really need support in this or I am afraid I will just quit again.
Hi Melynda,

I understand your situation. I am the one that buys the food in the house too and it is hard with my little ones not to get the guilt trip about not having sweets around. I still buy ice cream for them but I tell myself it is for them not for me. That has helped some. My kids eat what I eat for dinner and if they don't like it they get peanut butter and jelly. So far they haven't complained. I fix healthy beef fajitas that they love (tortillas for them but not for me). There are some really great "healthy" cook books out there. I use one put out by Joy Bauer and my kids love the foods. She even tells you how to make "healthy" treats.

I too have fibromyalgia but it isn't something that came with my weight. Fibromyalgia is just as common among "fit" people as overweight people. Both my parents have diabetes too and don't pay much attention to it. It is frustrating but they have their own choice and so do you and I. I am proud of you for taking this step. Now its time to just be brave and tell those you love that you are doing this with or without their support but it would be great if they would support you. You have a lot of people here online who are behind you 100% and here to support you!

Best of luck,
Jerenda
Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 PM
FitDay Member

Don't get discouraged. If your family wants treats in the house and you do the shopping buy only treats you don't like or ones you can resist. I only lost 1/2 a pound this week but it is still a weight loss. One step at a time. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:07 AM
FitDay Member

Misery- Thank you for suggesting those supplements. I am watching my nutrition to see what I haven't been getting enough of. Also my doctor told me I had a few vitamin deficiencies. She wants me to go in for shots and take prescription vitamins, but I think that the OTC vitamins would work too.
As for the sugar replacement, I will try that. I don't really like a whole lot of sugary foods, so I'm lucky in that department. I do, however, take a ton of sugar in my coffee, lol.. I rarely drink coffee, so I see the one cup every other week as no big deal.
Thanks sooo much for that percentage ratio. I've been freaking out that the fat even gets up to 20%, let alone 30% or higher. It just seems high in my eyes. Can you give me some examples of healthy fats?

Jerenda- The PB&J thing is a savior in my family. My brother is 17 and since I've been cooking healthier, it's almost the only thing he will eat. I kinda feel bad for him. I've been looking up healthy recipes online and I've found a few I really want to try.
I didn't know that about fibromyalgia. Most things I read, and even what people/doctors tell me is that one of the causes is weight. Although, they want to link anything they can to weight. Is there anything you have found with diet and exercise that has helped with your fibromalgia?

Munchkkin- Thanks for the idea with the sweets. It will be pretty easy to do since I don't like chocolate.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Misery16226
^-^ AWESOME VIRUS!!! You are doing so well.
Thanks! I feel incredible. I'd love to break 300 in time for my birthday, which coincidentally is right around the end of the next 10% challenge (I'll be 22). All the fun birthdays are over now, it's time to get old, haha. I've at least got to be healthy in the process.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:59 AM
FitDay Member

I've been freaking out that the fat even gets up to 20%, let alone 30% or higher. It just seems high in my eyes. Can you give me some examples of healthy fats?

Hey Melynda Your welcome, I'm glad if i can help a little.

Remember that fat has a higher concentration of calories. So 20% is actually a small (but dense) amount of fats. Check out this webpage, it has a lot of information about healthy fats.

Essential Fatty Acids - Good Fats or healthy fats, Omega-3 fatty acids - PamRotella.com BREAKING NEWS and more!

Also always use an oil that is extra virgin, non-hydrogenated. The cooking-processing kills the EFA's in oils. Extra virgin coconut oil is the best oil I have found, and is what I use. It is made up of 62% MCTs- Medium chain "good fats" that the body uses for energy. Also it can stand higher heat then other extra virgin oils. You can also use this all over your skin as a soothing body oil. ( I even use it as a hair mask to, once a week to make my hair and scalp healthier and softer. Wash it out with shampoo after ) You can buy coconut oil at most health-food stores

Also as for other fats in meat,& dairy. Though they may not all be essential.. Our body needs those ones as well. They are a dense amount of calories which means your body will take longer digesting it, releasing the energy into your body. Making you less hungry or prone to overeating. Food-fat doesn't make you fat unless you overeat it. Just try not to eat anything with a lot of excess oils, cut off the fat and skin on meat, shouldn't use margarine or butter or anything that isn't extra virgin, don't eat anything anything deep fried. Try as often as possible to eat your food raw (except meat). Then you should probably be fine for fat consumption.

^-^ Hope this helps.

Last edited by Misery16226; 03-25-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VirusInside
Thanks! I feel incredible. I'd love to break 300 in time for my birthday, which coincidentally is right around the end of the next 10% challenge (I'll be 22). All the fun birthdays are over now, it's time to get old, haha. I've at least got to be healthy in the process.
^-^ You can do it VirusInside!!!!!!!!! And 22 is NOT EVEN CLOSE TO OLD!~ You are only 2 years and a halfish older then me!
& I'm joining that challenge too I'm super excited.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SisterJen
Just dropped in to say hi to everyone, and welcome to all of the new members. My official weigh in was on Wednesday, and I was down another 3.8#...That makes my total 17.6 .

Keep it up everyone
Jen
Hello!!!!!!!!!!
& Way to go Jen!!!!!!!!! 17 pounds

~~~ YAY~~~

I'm feeling a little too chipper today.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:14 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SisterJen
Thanks Misery...Theres no such thing as "too chipper" in my book. I'm hoping for another few pounds next week .
^-^ awe I'm excited for you. Hopefully I can get some good results on my weigh in to (on Monday) I'm hoping to be in the 230's so i never have to see 24_._ ever again
Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 PM
FitDay Member

This is my first time posting here. I'm 21, Female, 6'1" and 273lbs. My long term goal right now is 190. I feel like the immensity of the amount of weight I have to loose is intimidating, but I don't really know how to set a short term goal and what is reasonable.
I walk for 30 minutes most days of the week and I just started yoga and pilates.
As for my calories, I only started logging them a few days ago, but I seem to be keeping them around 1500 or so. My problem is that darn pie chart. I feel like I'm cutting back on the fatty foods, but the fat section always looks so big. I really hate the taste of low-fat dressings, mayo, and sour cream, so I try to stay away from foods I would be eating those things because it seems like the only way to get around eating low-fat is to just not eat it at all.
I've tried dieting before, but I've never been able to stick to it. I love cheese and pasta and steak and french fries.. I just really love food. It's also an issue that my family doesn't care. I say I want to buy healthy food and they make fun of me or say it's gross. I do the food shopping and make the grocery list, which gives me an advantage, but when I come home with no little debbie treats, people are unhappy. My mother is the same weight as me, but she is shorter. She has so many health problems it makes me sad. Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, fibromyalgia, herniated discs in her back, and then some. I keep trying to get her to do this with me but she won't. She doesn't even check her blood sugar anymore. I already have fibromyalgia and the doctors say that if I don't change the way I eat, I will be diabetic in another 10-15 years. I really need support in this or I am afraid I will just quit again.
hi melynda
i know how u feel about no one supporting u. my family is unsopportive. my mom is 200lbs my dad is 300lbs...and they think its ok. but no one has ne fhealth problems and im afraid the only way they will get that kick in the butt they need is to get a bad health check up. i hope it doesnt get to that. im hoping my weight loss will become a good example for them. im also doing the shopping but they slip in the breads and doughnuts. then once its in the house its sooooo much harder to diet. but if i can do it, then so can u. we all have to just tell ourselves... is that one bite worth our health. thats whats been getting me through.

starting weight 470lbs 2 weeks ago
current weight 457lbs 3-21-2011
next weigh in 3-28-2011

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.