The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Community
Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 01:37 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by SisterJen
PS. I'm not going to have any accurate measuring methods (my scale, cups, etc.), and I'm not sure how much say I'll have in what goes into the kitchen or who/how it is prepared. I will be keeping a written log and entering it as often as possible, but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with this as an extended issue? Any insights would be helpful.

Thanks
Wow, Jen, this is going to present a challenge for you. No Internet is a major bummer! But, as to recording food, why not bring your measuring cups/food scale with you? Surely they can't take up that much room to pack?

As far as calories, I guess you could go old school--pick up a paperback calorie book and write stuff down in a notebook.

Just brainstorming here--perhaps you could phone your data to a friend and have them enter it in your account?

There must be somewhere that has an Internet connection--library?

If you can't control the cooking methods of your meals you'll just have to do your best. If it's high calorie food, try to limit the portions and/or avoid the worst things.

It is a plus that there is an exercise facility--perhaps you at least partially offset any poor food choices with exercise.

In any event, do your best and don't despair. Even though it sounds like the situation is going to last a while it's not forever.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-26-2010, 02:45 PM
FitDay Member

I can't offer much differet advice Jen.

My mom had surgery last Oct. and I had to be with her, but my biggest challenge was lack of sleep because I was her only caregiver while she recovered. I had control of the meals and portions.
I had to go to the local library for internet use, but that was limited to 5 days a week, if my mom was napping when the library was open.

My mother's second surgery is probably in May, so I will be off again then.

Annette
Old 12-27-2010, 12:11 AM
FitDay Member

Jen...I wish your mom the best for a good outcome and speedy recovery. Try as best you can to take care of you while you're there. Maybe you'll meet someone in the complex to make friends with.

Michael had some great advice. I'm sure the situation is going to be stressful at times. Try not to let that motivate you into unhealthy habits. Keep your goals in mind and know that you can do the best you can while there, and that we'll be here for you when you can reach out or get back.

Be safe and healthy,
Matt
Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Jen ~ You're probably gone by now, but I just wanted to say that I sympathize with your mom's condition. 12 weeks, right to work ~ su@ks!!! Hope that works out. And hope you can keep on track while you're there with her.

Boo ~ sorry about your ear infection. That is a really terrible pain. Hope you're on the mend by now.

Monday! I've been away for the holidays. Cooked healthy food for Christmas dinner, which was a nice change. Holiday dinners and family gatherings are usually my cue to bring on the butter. And the sugar. And the 3 desserts per person ~ ha!

I got over my work-related hissy fit being able to spend time with my folks. Daddy's 93 and has dementia, but this was a wonderful time with him. He was more present than he's been in a long time. Blessings.

A few months ago I bought a little book to keep in my purse. My intention at the time was to write down 5 good things that happened each day. I didn't do it, but it's something I want to do, so I'm going to start today. That keeps me focused on what's going well so I don't get bogged down in the actual horror of my present effort to clear out my house (20 years, major collector), shut down my business, and move to Yucatan. Sigh.

Five positive, happy, good things that happen each day to distract me from this overwhelming process. I can do it.

Food's good. I think I have an allergy to peanuts. Eat a peanut = major aches and pains in the joints. Weird.

Have a great day everyone ! Annette, Brad, and everyone else who's just dropped in, WELCOME!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Jen, glad you made it safely. Enjoy the warm weather--we got hammered pretty hard up here in Maine.

Sounds like you're going to be doing some walking--that's great, even if the weight room was a bust.

Do your best estimating portions until you can get a measuring cup. After a while I find I can estimate pretty well.

Sounds like it's time to take stock of the 'fridge--trash anything that's spoiled and make room for some good stuff.

In any case, keep to your plan as best you can and take care of yourself and Mom.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-28-2010, 11:09 PM
FitDay Member

Default Must get back on track

I've been on vacation, at home, and trying to cook every meal instead of eating out so much. Son is home from college, husband is moody, going back to work today to check on some projects. I'll be glad to be at work, because I can get something done without having people in my way. I have actually gained weight and feel so bad about it. I cannot exercise bec I have a herniated disc in lower back, just had epidural, feel fine, but doc says no exercise. Routines are good for me. I'm off my routine. I need to buy some scales. I threw my old ones away because they lied so much Seriously, they were way off. They would read as if I weighed less than I actually did. I usually weigh at work once a week. I need to weigh everyday at the same time. I may even put the scales in the kitchen.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:10 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning people ~ Jen, glad you made it. I think you might be pleasantly surprised at what all the walking does for you. Scoop ~ you're here, and that's a start. I do better with routines also. Michael ~ morning cupcake!

I have a storage container coming to my house today, so I'll be able to move out everything I'm keeping in preparation to sell the rest. Maybe this will get me out of this terrible feeling of being stuck in my life, wanting to move to Yucatan, but trapped by a lifetime accumulation of cr@p.

So happy day. A little inspiration...

YouTube - Weightloss timeline 100 lbs in 5 months
Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 AM
FitDay Member

Jen...so glad you made it safely. It certainly doesn't sound like an ideal situation, but the way you describe the walk to various things you'll want to do is fantastic. A couple of miles a few times a week will be tremendous exercise. Also, If you find yourself doing any housework, like cleaning out the fridge, making space, that too will work in your favor. I find I get a better workout from vigorous housework than I do at the gym sometimes. Probably from bending and stretching in ways I normally miss.

I'm sure that once you get settled in you'll begin to feel better about the food situation. Do your best to estimate things, and use the food browse to find like-foods to get you in the ballpark. I find estimating in cups and fractions of cups easiest when I'm away from my routine, ingredients, and other tools.

Take good care of you and your mom and check in when you can. I'm thinking positive thoughts for both of you.

Matt
Old 12-29-2010, 04:52 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by scoop715
I've been on vacation, at home, and trying to cook every meal instead of eating out so much. Son is home from college, husband is moody, going back to work today to check on some projects. I'll be glad to be at work, because I can get something done without having people in my way. I have actually gained weight and feel so bad about it. I cannot exercise bec I have a herniated disc in lower back, just had epidural, feel fine, but doc says no exercise. Routines are good for me. I'm off my routine. I need to buy some scales. I threw my old ones away because they lied so much Seriously, they were way off. They would read as if I weighed less than I actually did. I usually weigh at work once a week. I need to weigh everyday at the same time. I may even put the scales in the kitchen.
Good to see you. Take it really easy--you don't want to overdue and reinjure yourself. I'm still on vacation, too and find it makes it much more difficult to keep my routine.

IDK about weighing every day--I have too much fluctuation to do that, but if it works for you, do it!

Take care and let us know how you're doing.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-29-2010, 04:59 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by lynette185
Good morning people ~ Jen, glad you made it. I think you might be pleasantly surprised at what all the walking does for you. Scoop ~ you're here, and that's a start. I do better with routines also. Michael ~ morning cupcake!

I have a storage container coming to my house today, so I'll be able to move out everything I'm keeping in preparation to sell the rest. Maybe this will get me out of this terrible feeling of being stuck in my life, wanting to move to Yucatan, but trapped by a lifetime accumulation of cr@p.

So happy day. A little inspiration...

YouTube - Weightloss timeline 100 lbs in 5 months
Cupcakes--yum!

To paraphrase some wise guy "we don't own our possessions, they own us". I have so much junk I can't even begin to clean house. I guess if you're forced to, then you must.

Keep your spirits up--it sounds like you're goal of moving is happening. I'm sure this is going to be stressful--make sure not to numb it with food--it's a short-lived reprise (as you and I know all too well).

Another great link--thanks.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.