Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:33 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!! I really do appreciate the immediate support and advice! My signature timeline is clearly off! I don't have a date where I'd like to reach my ideal weight of 150 lbs I have 150 lbs to lose in total... half of my body weight!

I hope to lose 20 lbs by February 1st, 2011... 60 lbs by June 1st, 2011 and then my ultimate goal is something that I do not want to put a date on Everyday will be a challenge for sure... but I WILL do this for myself this time around. It's all about ME for once!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 02:54 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Julie ~ Glad you're here. Set a goal and hang in there. I think it helps a whole whole WHOLE lot to have others who are working for the same thing. You can do it. We all can if we're willing to make the commitment and keep it up. That's where support from others on the same path means so much to me: when I'm feeling tired or weak re food or in a dangerous spot, I can reach out to someone else and maybe pick up a little of their enthusiasm or hope or success. Every time I've successfully lost weight I've done it with others. Yes we can!

lynette185
Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by juliesaid2728
I hope to lose 20 lbs by February 1st, 2011... 60 lbs by June 1st, 2011 and then my ultimate goal is something that I do not want to put a date on Everyday will be a challenge for sure... but I WILL do this for myself this time around. It's all about ME for once!!!
I think that's very smart. One of the things I like about simply writing down my food and watching the calories is that it's a sane, simple, normal way to eat. I'm trying to eat healthier things, but I always do. This time I'm just trying to eat healthier things in line with a calorie count that will allow me to lose weight.

The times I've used diet pills or liquid diets or any other form of severe deprivation, I've felt frantic and anxious about getting DONE so I could quit. And I would. I'd get done, and I'd quit and go back to my old habits which, of course, give me the old results.

The other thing about losing weight is it isn't that I feel bad, hate the way I look, huff and puff and then *poof* 6 months later I'm suddenly better. I start getting better right away.

Even the few days I've been doing this, I feel 50% better than I did. Way less pain walking, lots lots more energy, sleeping better, calmer, happier.

I know this can work for all of us. I'm excited
Old 12-15-2010, 08:51 PM
FitDay Member

Had to take a rest day from the gym yesterday as my Monday 5K finally caught up with me, but I'm fighting fit today and can't wait for my martial arts/weight lifting classes later!

I'll probably be booed and hissed for saying this, but I haven't counted a calorie since the first month of my journey. It just doesn't work for me! I even did a food diary for my gym trainer and he said that I'm eating near enough perfect anyway. It's just from listening to my body, and gaining the knowledge to know what's good/bad and being able to exercise good portion control. If I had to guesstimate I'm probably consuming between 1600-1800 calories a day, maybe up to 2000 on heavy training days.

Anyway, I'm glad I got that out. And I hope everyone is having a fab day! It's almost the weekend!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 09:08 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by WeightlossBoo
Had to take a rest day from the gym yesterday as my Monday 5K finally caught up with me, but I'm fighting fit today and can't wait for my martial arts/weight lifting classes later!

I'll probably be booed and hissed for saying this, but I haven't counted a calorie since the first month of my journey. It just doesn't work for me! I even did a food diary for my gym trainer and he said that I'm eating near enough perfect anyway. It's just from listening to my body, and gaining the knowledge to know what's good/bad and being able to exercise good portion control. If I had to guesstimate I'm probably consuming between 1600-1800 calories a day, maybe up to 2000 on heavy training days.

Anyway, I'm glad I got that out. And I hope everyone is having a fab day! It's almost the weekend!!!
Felicity, that is awesome! I'm so glad for you that you are able to eat "normally" and not have to keep track. You're doing so great--thanks for "coming out" What you're doing is, I think, what we'd all like to be able to do.

What MA do you do? In my last (brief) "thin period" I got into Tai-Chi and had a great time. I did a few classes with a nice Chinese lady, then found another instructor who was a little more "practical". I should get back into it when I'm a little smaller.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-15-2010, 09:16 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hanging in there

Thanks, Michael,
I will be one of your success stories.
Gina
Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 PM
FitDay Member

Default future success story

Lynette185,
Your support is greatly appreciated. I look forward to being one of your success stories. Thanks for gathering them.
Gina
Old 12-15-2010, 11:27 PM
FitDay Member

Felicity, I think that's awesome! I agree with Michael, that I think we all hope to get there some day. I'll speak for myself when I say that I have never internalized any kind of food sense, and I have never exercised portion control. I have always marveled at the way "normal" people eat and it just seems to work out. I really hope this process retrains my mind and body and I can get where you are. For now, calorie counting is a really good tool for me, but I'm really happy for you.

Last night I was a bit hungry about an hour and a half after my workout and I grabbed the hummus from the fridge and these crackers I have that aren't too awful. I looked at the container and realized that I've had about ten servings out of it since I opened it. I used to practically kill one of those in a sitting. Same with this box of crackers. I thought about how long food was lasting, and how my fridge is a bit stuffed and I was wondering how I'm gonna "get through all that food" while it's still good. It's all mysterious to me, and I think that underscores 42 years of an unhealthy relationship with food. I instantly got used to the idea that I can feel full all day on 2,000 calories, but I don't trust myself to control my portions without tracking calories yet.

There was this guy who opened a restaurant locally here, and it just looked to me like a creative kind of tapas place to me. I read an article about the place and the guy who opened it, and it turns out he was some kind of scientist. He said the reason he opened a place that featured no "main courses" but rather a series of small plates to share was that our body chemistry has a limited window for reacting to new tastes. He said that after the first couple of bites the neurons aren't firing in excitement the way they do initially, and that he wanted to keep that excitement going. I think about that more and more when I'm eating, and use it as a reminder to keep my portions small and my variety up.

Be well everyone!
Old 12-16-2010, 12:09 AM
FitDay Member

Felicity ~ I think being able to do it without counting calories is pretty kickass. I started writing down everything I eat here because I've been so dishonest with what I'm eating. I pretty much convinced myself I was eating just like anyone else, but looking back, I was probably hoovering up 4000 calories a day, minimum.

Getting to a point of having retrained myself such that I'm able to simply eat normally, exercise a lot, and maintain my weight is a dream. I'm happy for you. Hope I can do that one day.

Detroit ~ that's an interesting point about the tiny tastes. As I was having dinner last night, I realized I really didn't want the second little salmon patty. I thought about giving it to my husband. I forged ahead and finished it off, but next time, I'm going to remember that deal about a few bites.

Our family Christmas dinners have, over the last 8-10 years, evolved into appetizer buffets. We all love it, far more than cooking a bird, sides, etc. Everyone brings one or two little dishes and we all snack. I think that's similar to what your tapas guy is talking about.

I hope everyone has a lovely, successful, sane eating, peaceful day.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:11 AM
FitDay Member

Okay, here's a -100++ inspiration for all of us, and especially for the guys:

One Mans trip to the Half: 200 pounds lost! Photos inside!

With amazing photos!!

Even better... his last post was 2009, but his weigh-ins are shown on the left:

Weigh in
12/03/10 - 333.8Lbs
12/31/10 - ???

Still keeping it off a year and a half after hitting his target weight.

Last edited by lynette185; 12-16-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.