Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:43 PM
FitDay Premium Member

So gang, I only lost a pound this week, though that's OK and about what I expected given Thanksgiving and three days at camp last week.

I still hope to hit my next mini goal of "under 300" by New Years Day but it's going to be awfully close.

Official weight of 310 pounds today.

Have a great day everyone!

Michael

PS Saw some friends that I haven't seen for a while yesterday. They said my "head" had shrunk My wife says they meant my "face" but now I'm not so sure....
Old 12-05-2010, 08:46 AM
FitDay Member

Well done Michael, a pound is still a pound! I hope you reach your upcoming goal!!!

(I gained 2lbs this week thanks to my visit from Aunt Flo. )
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi everyone. My name is Nora, I'm 56, happily married, a grandma to 3 and work full time at a nuclear plant. Michael, matt, Felicity et al, i'm very happy to meet you. You folks are doing really great. I have 120 pounds to lose, I'm down from 290 to 277 but still have a very long way to go. I'm a type 2 diabetic and have a knee replacement. I'm looking forward to getting the other one done next summer so i can start walking again.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:17 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Thanks, Felicity. I'm sure you'll see a nice loss next week

Nora, welcome! I'll wager your knees will feel much better with a little "load" off them--it will come off really fast. My knees and ankles feel SO much better--it was getting very painful just to get up out of my chair--now I can almost hop right up. I'm no Dr., but I've heard many folks have "cured" their diabetes by losing weight. It would be wonderful if that could happen for you.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-05-2010, 10:27 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Good things about losing 100 lbs.

Here are a few things I am thankful for. Please feel free to add to the list!

Able to walk more than 50ft. w/o panting for breath.

Able to climb a flight of stairs w/o stopping to rest three times.

No more need for seatbelt extenders.

Able to use the "regular" bathroom stall instead of the "Handicaped" one.

No longer fear the embarassing collapse of folding chairs.

Can now buy clothes at Wal-Mart (they only go up to 3x) instead of costly "Big and Tall" stores that sell 6x and up.

Can fit my entire butt into most chairs with arms instead of perching on the edge.

No longer attract the amazed stares of children and rude people.

Don't have to worry about cracking toilet seats any more.

Can fit into the barber's chair.

Am no longer quite so shy around people with cameras.

Regards,
Michael
Old 12-05-2010, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

Hello there, I was wondering if you tried the HCG drops? I have lost 17 pounds in 27 days and noticed that my body is shaping up. Unlike W/W which I love and lost on, I lost from my head down, but on HCG, its re-shaping my body Just a thought for you Thanks Denyce
Old 12-05-2010, 03:53 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Nora and Denyce...welcome!

Good work, Michael. A pound lost is great when you're off your schedule, which I just found out...

Bit of a rough week for me. It was oddly front-loaded. I was able to work out the first three days of the week, then things fell apart a bit toward the end and while I was out of town. I tried to be careful about what I ate, but I know I wasn't as successful as I would be at home. I was weighing in on Sunday mornings. Just got home from the road, and at 11:30pm the scale says I stayed the same. I suspect if I weigh myself in the morning after taking a comfy seat for a couple minutes the result would be a bit better. Regardless, I'll get on the Saturday schedule starting next week, but for now, we'll call it the end of week one:

DetroitBreakdown: 343

Unbelievably, at 7lbs down, I have many things to be thankful for thanks to my new lifestlye. I'm thankful for:

Energy that lasts through the whole day and no need for naps.

Gaining 4 pairs of pants back from the "too small" pile.

My face looking less puffy.

Moving a notch on my belt.

Taking the stairs again at work without feeling like someone should call an ambulance (had been taking the elevator for the last year).

The money I'm saving not ordering pizzas or picking up fast food.

My girlfriend's genuine support and her excitement in my feeling better in my health and about myself.

I hope everyone has a great week!
Old 12-05-2010, 09:12 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco

Can now buy clothes at Wal-Mart (they only go up to 3x) instead of costly "Big and Tall" stores that sell 6x and up.

Can fit my entire butt into most chairs with arms instead of perching on the edge.

Regards,
Michael
Awesome list Michael, and so very true for so many of us!

I'll add that I'm thankful for;

Being able to visit a supermarket without the temptation to fill my basket with junk food!

Being able to comfortably cross my legs.

Not being restricted to the one shop in my town that did my size.

No longer feeling like I'm good enough for my fiance.

Being comfortable enough again to indulge in certain activities with said fiance... (a'hem)

Not worrying about cracking the shower tray. (I cracked a bath a few years back and it will haunt me forever.)
Old 12-05-2010, 09:14 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default "Slow"weight loss

Jen, I think that is good advice. The last time I got serious about losing weight, I took off around 200 lbs in less than a year. You are absolutely correct about the mind-warp this produces. I don't think I ever did adjust and gradually slipped back into old habits. Going from 400 lbs to 184 in about 9 months was just way too fast--it's like you have a totally foreign body with the same brain. I'd look a store windows when I walked by and not even recognize myself.

This time I decided to take a more reasonable approach and try for 2-3 lbs a week, at least for the first 100 (which I've done).

I wonder if there are any good books/web resources about dealing with this type of adjustment--I'd really like this to be my last weight loss journey and want to be mentally well adjusted if I can.

Regards,
Michael

PS Jen, I'm sure you'll have a good weigh-in, I wish I could do it monthly but it's all I can do to make it only once a week.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:43 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco

Originally Posted by WeightlossBoo
Awesome list Michael, and so very true for so many of us!

I'll add that I'm thankful for;

Being able to visit a supermarket without the temptation to fill my basket with junk food!

Being able to comfortably cross my legs.

Not being restricted to the one shop in my town that did my size.

No longer feeling like I'm good enough for my fiance.

Being comfortable enough again to indulge in certain activities with said fiance... (a'hem)

Not worrying about cracking the shower tray. (I cracked a bath a few years back and it will haunt me forever.)
When people hug me their arms go all the way 'round, not just part way (especially with the kiddos).

Not only can I keep up with the kids, every now and then I out run them.

I can jump out of the shower and grab a towel and wrap it all the way around me, with enough left over to tuck it in and everything is covered.

I used to wear short sleeves year round because my upper arms were hideous and long sleeves made me sweat. Now I have big stack of tank tops for summer, short sleeves for spring and fall and a whole bunch of long sleeve shirts for winter. I even bought myself some sweaters, which I haven't been able to tolerate for years because I was so well insulated.

I used to make my kids "go get this" and "go get that", because I was too lazy/tired/fat, but now I jump right up and race them to get stuff.

Every coat I've owned over the past 10-12 years was some big huge black thing that I bought not for the style, but because it was the only choice available that came large enough to fit me. But not anymore, I went out and found a really nice London Fog wool coat that is not only tailored and fits beautifully, but it's really lightweight and the color is fabulous.

I'm looking forward to the ski season for the first time EVER. I'm even looking forward to buying some new ski pants.

I'm no longer steeped in shame while taking my kids to the pool. I'm even looking forward to buying a new swimsuit, because the 2 I have are getting a tad baggy.

I'm a regular at the gym and every now and then one of the uber-fit types asks me a question or compliments my form or my workout.

mecompco, I don't have any book suggestions for you, but I do know that there are a ton of blogs on people losing weight. I also saw a woman on the Today show that lost 178 pounds and wrote a book called "Half Assed", which I think deals with that issue among others, but I can't say for sure because I haven't read it. I've been reading "Eat This Not That", which has been fairly helpful in terms of teaching me how to make better food choices. I've also been thinking about buying "Thin For Life".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.