Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by juliesaid2728
Hi Everyone!

How is everyone doing? I had another great week! Down 2.4 pounds
I can't believe how well I am doing this time.. it's like I am finally getting it! I am 110% dedicated and this is IT!!

I have my one cheat night a week.... does anyone else do that? Although I found that last week on my cheat night, I am feeling guilty even eating that!! Is that normal?
I know it's good to have "bad" fats.... to help your metabolism, and keep people sane!!
Julie, that's great. Isn't it wonderful when things just "work"!?

I was doing a bit of a "cheat" once a week (basically so I could drink some beer, in moderation) but decided it wasn't worth it. So, now I do one "cheat day" a month. I find that I still watch what I eat and don't go crazy. I may have 3,000 or 4,000 calories that day but it all averages out.

Other than trans fats, I don't think fats are "bad", though I do tend to keep an eye on saturated fats but don't worry about them too much.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by SisterJen
I don't mean to be a pesimist, but from everything I've ever seen or heard (inculding my nutrition class that I had to take for my program) that is WAY to fast . Just remember that the faster you loose weight, the faster it will return.

Part of that is from the natural survival instinct of starvation mode, but another part of it is mentaly being able to have your mind align whth your actual physical appearance. Remember the story of the tortis and the hair, slow and steady wins the race .

That said, congrats on your loss to date, and don't be surprised if the weight starts coming off slower once the inital water weight loss stabalizes.
Well, if you're over 350 pounds and just starting out, I don't think that is at all unreasonable. I'm sure some of that is fat, but I'd be surprised if the majority wasn't fluid--which is fine--the fat loss will come soon enough.

Having lost weight really, really fast in the past, I also agree that a more reasonable pace is best. It will allow the skin to (more or less) keep up and perhaps more importantly, let the mind adjust to the "new you".

If you've ever lost a couple hundred pounds, you know how it can really mess with your head. It's sort of like people who get a face transplant. You KNOW it's really you, but it doesn't LOOK like you, if you know what I mean.

This is just my take on the situation as someone who's "been there, done that" a time or two.

Regards,
Michael

PS Jen--good to see you--have a great day!

Last edited by mecompco; 02-01-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 AM
FitDay Member

Hey, good people, something Michael said: You KNOW it's really you, but it doesn't LOOK like you brought up something that's been on my mind. So, I wanted to run it past y'all and see what your thoughts on it, as it's something with which I'm kind of struggling.

So, I'm about to officially hit 50# lost (woo hoo), and despite my weight loss pace being moderate and within the recommended range (about 1-1.5#/wk), I currently find myself in this "what the hey do I look like??" mode. I look at other women and I'm like, "Does my body look like hers? Do I look that big/small/normal?" It's an odd predicament. I've taken pix of myself, but for some reason I'm still having this bizarre issue with body image. I think part of it is that even though I've been this size/ weight before, I've never been this size/weight AND been working out 6 days/wk... So, naturally, my body at a size 16 now is WAY different than my body at a size 16 in the past. I just can't seem to get it to jive in my head. Can anyone relate, or am I just babbling? Hehe, thanks for the space to vent, anyway!

Last edited by changeisgood29; 02-01-2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 02-01-2011, 09:48 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by changeisgood29
Hey, good people, something Michael said: You KNOW it's really you, but it doesn't LOOK like you brought up something that's been on my mind. So, I wanted to run it past y'all and see what your thoughts on it, as it's something with which I'm kind of struggling.

So, I'm about to officially hit 50# lost (woo hoo), and despite my weight loss pace being moderate and within the recommended range (about 1-1.5#/wk), I currently find myself in this "what the hey do I look like??" mode. I look at other women and I'm like, "Does my body look like hers? Do I look that big/small/normal?" It's an odd predicament. I've taken pix of myself, but for some reason I'm still having this bizarre issue with body image. I think part of it is that even though I've been this size/ weight before, I've never been this size/weight AND been working out 6 days/wk... So, naturally, my body at a size 16 now is WAY different than my body at a size 16 in the past. I just can't seem to get it to jive in my head. Can anyone relate, or am I just babbling? Hehe, thanks for the space to vent, anyway!
I hear 'ya! I'd hoped to avoid it this time, but I'm experiencing some of the same thoughts. I DO know that I no longer draw stares when out in public, and there are many people bigger than me (just got back from Wal-Mart, and I was BY FAR not the biggest person there as I used to be).

Is a 285 pound man "normal" looking? I kinda' think so, but....

Another weird problem is no knowing how people you know remember you. You think, hmmm--was I 185 pounds the last time I saw them, or 450? Or somewhere in between? I know it's sad, but it is what it is.

So, I don't have any answers. I don't think it's hitting me quite as bad as last time--I dropped around 200 pounds in way less than a year and I just don't think I ever adjusted to it. That's one reason I've adopted a more sedate pace this time.

Just sharing this stuff here helps me--perhaps that will be enough?!

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 AM
FitDay Member

Sharing definitely helps! Thanks for the input!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default Self-Image

I am reading the posts on our perceptions of ourselves....I have a slightly different version of the story. I spent my youth, teens, and young adult life (upt to age 35) as a competitive athlete in a sport where competition was by weight division. I could tell you on any given day, what I weighed, what I ate, what I did and have 25 years worth of daily journals. Then I had three car accidents IN THREE YEARS.....and was not able to workout, shifted my enegry from sports to my family and work...and somehow I went from a lean 14% body fat, muscular 145 lbs women to a 288lbs blob....but I had been athletic for so long, as I got soft and bigger, I still had the self-image of the prior me in my head. It wasn't until after my hysterectomy that I realized how much things had crept upon me and that I couldn't even touch my toes or put on my own socks. As I start to work out and regain flexibility, I feel like the old be is trying get out of this monkey suit of blubber that has insulted me for the last 10 years. I know it takes patience, but man I am looking for the healthy me...

Thanks for listening...it's great to have a place to share.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:19 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Bubbs21
I am reading the posts on our perceptions of ourselves....I have a slightly different version of the story. I spent my youth, teens, and young adult life (upt to age 35) as a competitive athlete in a sport where competition was by weight division. I could tell you on any given day, what I weighed, what I ate, what I did and have 25 years worth of daily journals. Then I had three car accidents IN THREE YEARS.....and was not able to workout, shifted my enegry from sports to my family and work...and somehow I went from a lean 14% body fat, muscular 145 lbs women to a 288lbs blob....but I had been athletic for so long, as I got soft and bigger, I still had the self-image of the prior me in my head. It wasn't until after my hysterectomy that I realized how much things had crept upon me and that I couldn't even touch my toes or put on my own socks. As I start to work out and regain flexibility, I feel like the old be is trying get out of this monkey suit of blubber that has insulted me for the last 10 years. I know it takes patience, but man I am looking for the healthy me...

Thanks for listening...it's great to have a place to share.
I agree, Jacqueline, it is nice to be able to talk amongst peers.

See, we are 180 degrees opposed in our body image--I was a fat kid, fat teen, fat young adult, and now fat middle aged guy. With a few brief exceptions--got down to 175 at 21 for a short while, then back down to 184 from around 400 back in '01 and now back down to 285 (it's funny--what's a "blob" to one person is "looking pretty good" to another).

Fat is normal to me--it's adjusting to being "thin" that's the problem. I'm glad that "thin" is your normal. Once that extra weight is off you should be home free!

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-01-2011, 12:41 PM
FitDay Member

I can completely relate to not knowing what you look like. About 7 yrs ago I lost 110 lbs (sorry to say 50 of those lbs crept back on). I got down to 210 lbs and really did not realize how much my looks had changed. I had people I'd known for years not recognize me and when looking at photo albums I realized when I picked out a shot that I thought looked like my current self I was acutally 40 lbs heavier. Ironically pretty much the weight I am now.. Body image is a strange thing and I wonder if your brain ever does catch up to what your body really looks like.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:59 AM
FitDay Member

This discussion of self-image really hits home with me too. I have a terrible time relating my appearance to other fat people, or people in general. I almost always would see someone who were much bigger than me, and thought that's about what I look like. On the few occasions when I was with someone I trusted, I would ask "am I that big" and they would look at me funny and say, hell no. I have to admit I never believed them. I thought they were just trying to be nice.

I also often had the experience of people's shock when I had occasion to tell them what I weighed. They would say that i carried it well, but again, I always thought they were too skinny to really know what 250, 300, or 350lbs really looks like. Now that there's biggest loser, I think more people know what these sizes really look like (with the dreaded shirts off).

When I look at myself in the mirror, I don't see a difference after losing 32lbs. But I see the difference in the way my clothes fit (or no longer fit). I have a strong memory of what my legs looked like when I was 170lbs, and I'm hoping that my few thinner memories kick in and I'm somehow able to adjust my vision.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default good morning everyone

I love this thread of 100+
I started to feel like a lerker just reading everone's posts. So I am posting to introduce myself. I am 39, female and tired of sitting out when I should be out and doing everything I want to do.

Jan 4/11 was 265.5
Feb 1/11 now 248.5 and feeling great

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.