The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Community
Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 07:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 1bellama
I am down two pounds, whoo, hoo! I still have not figured out all of this eating plan stuff, but I am going to stick with focusing on limiting and counting my carbs. I have diabetes and right now that is the simpliest thing for me and it is working. Trust me that does not mean I am splurging on crap either. I am limiting myself to restaurant food no more than two times a month (my biggest pitfall), no more midnight bowls of cereal (another pitfall), drink juice no more than once a week (yet another pitfall), and increasing my veggies.

I have limited amount of time on the web, so logging the food has not worked for me at least this week. However, I am going to just write it in my notebook. I have seen some of the post about how imporatnt it is to write everything down. In fact, nearly 20 years ago a gym teacher told me that very same thing. SMH, I have great hearing but apparently my understanding is impaired.

I am happy about my succes this week because it was a diificult week emotionally and I didn't slide into my old habits. It was hard and I surprised myself. I think each week I will slowly add something new and take one step at a time.

My tasks for the next week are simple - write down everything (if time permits log it) and set up mini goals. I don't remember if Michael or Detroit suggested that to virusinside but I like that and will work on mine.

Good luck to everyone! You guys are great and the support and advice is awesome. Take care!
Grats on the weight loss Mecompco is right, the first few weeks are the hardest. Not that it's going to be "easy", but it will get easier.

Logging really is crucial, at least for most of us. It's way too easy to cheat otherwise. The other nice thing about logging your foods is you get to see how many calories each of them has, which will make it easier to guess how many calories something has if you can't look it up that second.

I hear ya on the midnight cereal too. I used to eat like 3 servings of sugar filled cereal almost every night. Or I'd have some Grape Nuts telling myself "it's healthy" then dump a ton of sugar on it.

Anyway, keep up the good work. You can do it.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 1bellama
I am down two pounds, whoo, hoo! I still have not figured out all of this eating plan stuff, but I am going to stick with focusing on limiting and counting my carbs. I have diabetes and right now that is the simpliest thing for me and it is working. Trust me that does not mean I am splurging on crap either. I am limiting myself to restaurant food no more than two times a month (my biggest pitfall), no more midnight bowls of cereal (another pitfall), drink juice no more than once a week (yet another pitfall), and increasing my veggies.

I have limited amount of time on the web, so logging the food has not worked for me at least this week. However, I am going to just write it in my notebook. I have seen some of the post about how imporatnt it is to write everything down. In fact, nearly 20 years ago a gym teacher told me that very same thing. SMH, I have great hearing but apparently my understanding is impaired.

I am happy about my succes this week because it was a diificult week emotionally and I didn't slide into my old habits. It was hard and I surprised myself. I think each week I will slowly add something new and take one step at a time.

My tasks for the next week are simple - write down everything (if time permits log it) and set up mini goals. I don't remember if Michael or Detroit suggested that to virusinside but I like that and will work on mine.

Good luck to everyone! You guys are great and the support and advice is awesome. Take care!
Congrats...each day is a new day and we have choices with each new day. I like others am a believer in creating small mini-goals and tracking those for a month, before adding increasing those goals. The problem with most New Year's resolutions is they aren't achieveabe in the short term and set-us up for failure. It is amazing what success we make one step and one day at a time. You can choose something as simple as:

- record all my food and activity each day
- do an "X" activity 5 days out of 7
- drink 8 glasses of water
- get X hrs of sleep

Figure out what will make a difference in your life and commit to no more than 4 mini-goals per month. Don't make the mini-goals out of reach, make them doable and you will be on your way in no time, looking back at the fabulous progress you have made.

Welcome and keep in touch...
Old 01-22-2011, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default The Good, The Bad, The Ugly....

What a week....

Emotionally...I have been on a pretty even keel, despite challenges at work. In fact, I have been damn good, with focus and enegry.

Heathwise, I have been taking heavy doses of Cold FX to stave off a cold...everyone around has the flu but me....(cross my fingers)

MINI - GOALS FOR THIS WEEK:
Track food (7/7 DAYS)
Daily Activity (6/7 DAYS)
8h sleep (6/7 DAYS)
Plan meals (7/7 DAYS)

In fact, I added the elliptical 3 times this week (for 12 min each) to my almost daily balance ball / pilates workout.

Results:
- Ate average of 1200 cal per day
- carb (48%) protein (26%) fat (25%)
- clothes fitting well
- compliments at work on my 'looking good'
- NO LOSS OF WEIGHT, no gain either.

Well that is out of my system...I fee better already LOL!

Have a great weekend everyone...and be kind to yourself!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

I'm so happy today. I woke up this morning to another loss of 2 pounds. That puts me at a 4 pound total loss. In the last 3 days! I'm sure that rate won't continue, but I can't complain yet.

Oh and the best part is I'm eating anything I want. I even had fast food last night! (subway). I'm just making sure to track everything into Fitday, and not go over my calorie allotment. So far it seems to work.

Last edited by VirusInside; 01-22-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:27 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by VirusInside
I'm so happy today. I woke up this morning to another loss of 2 pounds. That puts me at a 4 pound total loss. In the last 3 days! I'm sure that rate won't continue, but I can't complain yet.

Oh and the best part is I'm eating anything I want. I even had fast food last night! (subway). I'm just making sure to track everything into Fitday, and not go over my calorie allotment. So far it seems to work.
That's great! It "seems" like I lose faster with high protein, lower carb food choices, but who knows? Really, for weight loss purposes, a calorie is a calorie. I think of the nutritionist who ate Hostess Twinkies, Cupcakes and the like for a month and lost 20 pounds. If you stay under your calorie burn number, you'll lose weight.

Now as far as health and nutrition goes, of course we don't want to live on Twinkies and we may very well have a more consistant loss when eating certain foods. I really think a good, healthy mix of carbs, fat and protein is the answer.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-22-2011, 10:08 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
That's great! It "seems" like I lose faster with high protein, lower carb food choices, but who knows? Really, for weight loss purposes, a calorie is a calorie. I think of the nutritionist who ate Hostess Twinkies, Cupcakes and the like for a month and lost 20 pounds. If you stay under your calorie burn number, you'll lose weight.

Now as far as health and nutrition goes, of course we don't want to live on Twinkies and we may very well have a more consistant loss when eating certain foods. I really think a good, healthy mix of carbs, fat and protein is the answer.

Regards,
Michael
Yep! My husband loses weight with higher protein, lower carbs. The downside is, he now has gout, which is brought on by a high uric acid store in the body, which comes from proteins.

My youngest daughter, on the other hand, loses weight if she cuts out gluten. One year she lost weight, and looked cute, I might add, by eating nothing but chocolate and marshmallows.

My best diet ever was the Zone, which is a healthy mix of carbs, fat and protein. I lost weight at a steady, healthy rate.
This time I decided to simply cut portions of everything and if I need seconds, go for the veggies avoiding fat and sweets.

But I am still allowed to have that wedge of pie, but it needs to be half size and the scoop of ice cream, is about 2 T, no more. I am also allowed bacon, only 1/2 slice, not 2 slices.

The only thing I have said "no" to since I started this time is fast food.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:44 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by rainbow24
Yep! My husband loses weight with higher protein, lower carbs. The downside is, he now has gout, which is brought on by a high uric acid store in the body, which comes from proteins.

My youngest daughter, on the other hand, loses weight if she cuts out gluten. One year she lost weight, and looked cute, I might add, by eating nothing but chocolate and marshmallows.

My best diet ever was the Zone, which is a healthy mix of carbs, fat and protein. I lost weight at a steady, healthy rate.
This time I decided to simply cut portions of everything and if I need seconds, go for the veggies avoiding fat and sweets.

But I am still allowed to have that wedge of pie, but it needs to be half size and the scoop of ice cream, is about 2 T, no more. I am also allowed bacon, only 1/2 slice, not 2 slices.

The only thing I have said "no" to since I started this time is fast food.
I kind of stumbled onto the Zone calorie mix and by coinkydink the 40/30/30 mix it reccomends is pretty close to what I was doing, anyway so that's what I shoot for.

I really don't have any foods that I'm not "allowed" but I do abstain from sweets and baked goods, even on my monthly "day off". And really, I don't even crave them anymore.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-24-2011, 01:25 AM
FitDay Member

Yay!!! I lost another 2.4 lbs last week!! I am soo excited!!
Old 01-24-2011, 04:17 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by juliesaid2728
Yay!!! I lost another 2.4 lbs last week!! I am soo excited!!
Julie, that's great--feels good, no?

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-24-2011, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

YES! Another 2 pounds down. That brings me to 7 pounds of weight loss so far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.