Community
Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by VirusInside
Hello fellow losers.

I'm new around here. I'm looking to lose around 150 pounds. I never imagined my weight would get this out of hand. I'm only 21 years old, and I've got high blood pressure (which I've actually had since I was 13, even at healthy weights). Even so I'm here, and I'm dedicated. I'm notorious for fad dieting. That's going to change today. Instead of giving myself a mere 800 calories a day (as I've done before), I'm starting off at a whopping 2000 calories. That will allow me to lose gradually and comfortably, and also give me plenty of room for adjustments as I continue to lose more weight. I'm also looking to become a vegetarian.

Anyway just wanted to throw my hat into the 100+ club and introduce myself. I look forward to getting to know all of you.
Hey, great to have you on board! I was probably 300 plus in HS so I know where you're at. Got down to 175 or so at 21 and of course ballooned back up to 400 or so. Got back down to 184 back in '01 (with lots of false starts in between) and spent the last 8-9 years putting it all back on and then some.

So, around the first of May, got back on FitDay and got serious. Was over the 400 lb capacity of my scale for the first six weeks but on June 19 weighed in at 393--26 weeks later I was at 293.

FitDay works and works well, if you work it. I think your higher calorie count will be fine for now. Eventually you may have to cut it back, but at your age you'll really lose fast. It's not quite so easy when you get older.

Try to make your calories "count"--lean protein, lots of fruit and veggies, you know the drill. Stay away from simple carbs, sugar, beer (my weakness) and the like.

Setting some small goals works well, too. I like to do 10% of my body weight (see the April Fools Day 10% thread for an example).

Don't be a stranger--we're all here to support one another.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 AM
FitDay Member

Out for dinner tonight.

When I was asked if cheese is ok for me, allergy wise, I commented that I was on a diet of sorts. The answer back was that I was not on a diet with his spaghetti.

So, I am going with a small portion and hoping for the best. I will eat celery on the way there.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

Hey everyone. Great to see all the new faces! Welcome, and best to you. You'll find this a supportive place, and full of a bunch of dedicated folks.

Virusinside, your note hit me probably the same way it hit Michael. I've been where you are too, and though I haven't lost and gained as many times as some, I was the healthiest around your age when I became a vegetarian and started doing a lot of outdoor activities. I don't say that to recommend vegetarianism, though I would never try to persuade you against it either...just saying, your story sound familiar.

I think you're really smart to start off with 2,000 calories. That's what I'm on right now, and where I started just about two months ago. I've been really happy with what seems like a steady weight loss, and am not really aiming to speed it up in any way. I do notice that I am already burning fewer calories these days as I get a bit healthier, and maybe I'll consider cutting it down eventually. But I find 2,000 very comfortable, and I never feel deprived or like I want to binge in some way.

Keep coming back with your questions. I know I learn a lot from hearing the answers from the more experienced folks here. Also, if you have any questions about vegetarianism, I was a vegan for five years and a lacto/ovo for another three, so I might be able to help a bit in that area.

Happiness and health to all!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 02:45 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks DetroitBreakdown, for the words of encouragement. I'm really liking it around here so far. I know it's only been one day of my new "lifestyle" but I really feel good about this. So far though, the vegetarian thing isn't panning out. I'm probably just going to wait a while until I get used to the lower calorie intake, before I start trying to juggle in a switch to vegetarianism. Just take it one step at a time.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:54 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VirusInside
Thanks DetroitBreakdown, for the words of encouragement. I'm really liking it around here so far. I know it's only been one day of my new "lifestyle" but I really feel good about this. So far though, the vegetarian thing isn't panning out. I'm probably just going to wait a while until I get used to the lower calorie intake, before I start trying to juggle in a switch to vegetarianism. Just take it one step at a time.
Good plan. One thing I have to say about vegetarianism, from my experience, is that it can easily be unhealthy if you're not either prepared to spend a fair amount of time planning, shopping, and cooking, or relying on mostly raw fruits and veg. Worth a lot of thought before you jump into it. For now, keep it simple.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:06 PM
FitDay Member

Still no downwards move on the scale and tomorrow I will probably have to post a small gain, but I'm getting my fitness back and that's nothing to cry about.
Tried 'Step' today.. It was pretty amusing for everyone else who knew what they were doing. But I left sweaty, so it wasn't a complete wash-out. I'm going back Monday for another dose.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:20 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by WeightlossBoo
Still no downwards move on the scale and tomorrow I will probably have to post a small gain, but I'm getting my fitness back and that's nothing to cry about.
Tried 'Step' today.. It was pretty amusing for everyone else who knew what they were doing. But I left sweaty, so it wasn't a complete wash-out. I'm going back Monday for another dose.
Felicity, that sounds like a good workout. I can't even keep up with the step game on WiiFit so I salute your coordination.

Try not to worry about a small gain (easier said than done, I know)--you'll get it off soon enough.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by WeightlossBoo
The first time I ever did a "step" class was hilarious! I was doing fine with marching and basic step, but as soon as the instructor threw in a cross-over knee, my foot came down hard but only part way on the step and it shot out from under me. That little piece of plastic took out like 3-4 other people who in turned knocked down several more. It was like watching human dominoes. I went back to class the very next session, but the instructor wanted me to stay on the perimeter, not in the middle, I wonder why?

It takes a while but you'll get the hang of it, when in doubt march it out. Seriously it's like walking upstairs, one foot in front of the other.

Last edited by almeeker; 01-20-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:11 AM
FitDay Member

Default Slow and Steady

I am down two pounds, whoo, hoo! I still have not figured out all of this eating plan stuff, but I am going to stick with focusing on limiting and counting my carbs. I have diabetes and right now that is the simpliest thing for me and it is working. Trust me that does not mean I am splurging on crap either. I am limiting myself to restaurant food no more than two times a month (my biggest pitfall), no more midnight bowls of cereal (another pitfall), drink juice no more than once a week (yet another pitfall), and increasing my veggies.

I have limited amount of time on the web, so logging the food has not worked for me at least this week. However, I am going to just write it in my notebook. I have seen some of the post about how imporatnt it is to write everything down. In fact, nearly 20 years ago a gym teacher told me that very same thing. SMH, I have great hearing but apparently my understanding is impaired.

I am happy about my succes this week because it was a diificult week emotionally and I didn't slide into my old habits. It was hard and I surprised myself. I think each week I will slowly add something new and take one step at a time.

My tasks for the next week are simple - write down everything (if time permits log it) and set up mini goals. I don't remember if Michael or Detroit suggested that to virusinside but I like that and will work on mine.

Good luck to everyone! You guys are great and the support and advice is awesome. Take care!
Old 01-21-2011, 03:40 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by 1bellama
I am down two pounds, whoo, hoo! I still have not figured out all of this eating plan stuff, but I am going to stick with focusing on limiting and counting my carbs. I have diabetes and right now that is the simpliest thing for me and it is working. Trust me that does not mean I am splurging on crap either. I am limiting myself to restaurant food no more than two times a month (my biggest pitfall), no more midnight bowls of cereal (another pitfall), drink juice no more than once a week (yet another pitfall), and increasing my veggies.

I have limited amount of time on the web, so logging the food has not worked for me at least this week. However, I am going to just write it in my notebook. I have seen some of the post about how imporatnt it is to write everything down. In fact, nearly 20 years ago a gym teacher told me that very same thing. SMH, I have great hearing but apparently my understanding is impaired.

I am happy about my succes this week because it was a diificult week emotionally and I didn't slide into my old habits. It was hard and I surprised myself. I think each week I will slowly add something new and take one step at a time.

My tasks for the next week are simple - write down everything (if time permits log it) and set up mini goals. I don't remember if Michael or Detroit suggested that to virusinside but I like that and will work on mine.

Good luck to everyone! You guys are great and the support and advice is awesome. Take care!
I'm glad to hear about your success--great job!

They say it takes 28 days to establish a new habit and/or break a new one, so keep up the healthy eating.

I am a big believer in mini goals--I might have said that I like to do "10% of body weight"--it really gives me a sense of accomplishment yet can be done in a reasonable time frame. 10 pound increments are good, too. Personally, I'm hoping to move into the "80s" this week.

Keep us posted as to your progress!

Regards,
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.