The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread >

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Community
Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:17 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I've been reading through this thread from the beginning and it's very interesting, though I'm only on page 19. I especially appreciate the tips from Michael about things like picking out what to eat at a restaurant before going. One of the things I really liked about the early days of the thread was people posting their reasons for why they wanted to lose the weight. Here are mine:

+I want to keep up with my son when he gets to the playground and later for hikes and camping. I don't ever want him to feel like we can't go places because I am not able-bodied enough to handle it, if there's something I can do now to become more able.
+I want to hold my son on my lap comfortably when he gets bigger without my tummy getting in the way!
+I want to feel more able-bodied and enjoy movement more, especially stairs. I used to love going up the stairs two at a time, and now I avoid them because of my knee.
+I think I was rejected from getting hired at some jobs I was very qualified for because of the employers' attitudes toward my weight, and I don't want that to happen again.
+I want more energy during the day, and lower levels of insulin (I have high insulin production, one of the precursors to diabetes).

The good news is I already have a little progress on my goals--I feel I am getting a bit more energy during the day, just by limiting how I eat, and this website is helping me do it.

I am wondering if anyone (Michael?) has tips on how to replace favorite couples' activities that revolved around food. Right now when we get a night with a babysitter, our pattern is to eat out. On Friday nights we would always split a frozen pizza to celebrate the weekend. I don't want to do these things that trigger overeating, but I need ideas how to replace them so we can enjoy couples' time.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:43 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Great post, thanks for sharing! Over time we tend to forget how great those little things are. At almost two years into my lifestyle change now, I'm pretty used to not being morbidly obese and don't think about it all the time. Now, that can be a problem, too, as old habits can creep back quickly!

As to food-related events, I agree they are tough. I, and others that have joined me on this weight-loss path have had pretty good results incorporating a "day off" once a week or once a month into their plan. This gives you a time to enjoy a favorite food or even without remorse. I do think it is important not to use this as a time to go "nuts" and eat everthing in sight and I also advise that one log the food, no matter how bad it is.

Something else you can try is to substitute more healthy choices for a favorite meal. I love pizza and eat it a couple time a week, but I make my own lower-cal version using whole wheat pitas and lowfat mozz cheese. They taste great but are nowhere near as bad for you as a fresh or frozen "real" pizza.

Just some ideas! Do keep us posted as to your progress.

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 AM
FitDay Member

Hello, all!
You all seem like a tight bunch who give eachother a lot of support. I hope I can be included, as that's just what I need!

Start weight: 257 lbs
Current weight: 210 lbs
Goal weight: 185 lbs

Last edited by Galamaga; 10-26-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:16 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi Galamaga, welcome. I am new to the group too and also joined it because support is just what I need.

Update: I weighed today at 266. I am pleased, but trying not to get too overexcited about losing 5 lb in my first week, since my goal is to lose slowly and steadily, eating in a fashion I can stand to maintain for the rest of my life. If I get too wild about losing extra, I will eat with too much restraint and then rebound the other way.

Challenges right now:
(1) My MIL has been staying in our living room several days a week, helping with the baby. I get very cranky & stressed around her and also don't like her seeing me measuring my food and eating so carefully, so it is stressful.
(2) I am eating kind of repetitive meals, which seems like a recipe for disaster. I am trying to eat 20% fat, 20-30% protein, which is way less carb for me than previously. I have to figure out some new ways to eat that will give me lots of fiber and protein and keep me satiated without driving me bonkers!
(3) It is getting HOT here, and I hate exercising in the heat, but my main exercise is stroller with the baby. I am going to work on getting out for our walk by 8am, and see if I can get him up earlier as the days get even hotter.

Hope everyone is doing well and has a healthy, relaxing weekend!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Updates?

Friday update! I am continuing to work on my goals, though I think the honeymoon period has worn off. I am less eager to log foods and looking for ways to make logging faster and easier. Last night I had a series of dreams about eating pies and cakes! Each time I realized it was a dream I was like "I hope I have more of those dreams but don't actually do that."

I've been getting out for some morning walks, but not as many as I'd like. My challenge for this coming week is to persuade myself to get up earlier.

How is everyone doing this week? Hope you all have a healthy weekend.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by ellenne
Friday update! I am continuing to work on my goals, though I think the honeymoon period has worn off. I am less eager to log foods and looking for ways to make logging faster and easier. Last night I had a series of dreams about eating pies and cakes! Each time I realized it was a dream I was like "I hope I have more of those dreams but don't actually do that."

I've been getting out for some morning walks, but not as many as I'd like. My challenge for this coming week is to persuade myself to get up earlier.

How is everyone doing this week? Hope you all have a healthy weekend.
How's the week going? Keeping motivated over the long haul is a challenge, I know. That's why we really need to consider this a lifestyle change--something to be maintained indefinitely (unlike a "diet" which has connotations of at some point ending).

I'll be two years into my lifestyle change on May 5th. Can't say it's always easy, and I have been far, far from "perfect" but I think it does get easier.

Keep the faith and keep us posted to how you're doing.

Regards,
Michael
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 AM
FitDay Member

Hi everyone! It's my first day at fitday and after reading a lot of the posts I feel this is the place for me. I've started to develop medical issues because of my weight and well, it's been a wake up call. I have 2 boys that are my life and I can't even imagine not being there for them so I'm committed to this and would appreciate all the advice/motivation I can get!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
FitDay Member

Ok well I have been lurking on the discussion boards for a few days now. And I finally feel like I have the courage to post. I'm a 41 year old male. I'm 6'2 and weight 359 lb.

I, like so many others, have always had issues with my weight. When I was in high school I was an athlete. I played football in the fall and baseball in the spring. I spent my winters and summers in the gym. I was always on the bigger side but I was very active and also did alot of outside work.

After high school I entered college. I wasn't quite good enough for college sports (even at a smaller college). I stopped working out. I partied (probably a bit too much), and ate like I was still playing sports. OOPS. So I put on weight with ease.

Fast forward...For the past ten years I have been working as a paramedic in a suburb of Philadelphia. We have always been on the go and eating whenever possible. This has lead me, and many of my coworkers to very bad food choices. So the pounds continued to pour on.

After a promotion I'm mostly behind a desk with a bit of time in the field sprinkled in. I have given every excuse in the book to not eat healthier and workout. You name it, I believed it. The thing is, there is no excuse. We have an excellent gym facility at our station and a trainer. However, I continued to make excuses. Over the past year a few things happened that really made me realize I needed a change (I will gladly share them but I feel like I am ranting a bit too much already).

Finally, last Wednesday I decided that enough is enough. I started to log everything I ate and have been working out. I'm not sure if I truly lost anything so far because the scale I had access to just read 'ERR' when I stepped on it. How's that for a kick in the gut? I bought a scale that actually works for me.

I already feel better and know that I am going in the right direction.

I can't make promises. I don't know what tomorrow will bring. But I do know that I will continue to log my food, work hard in the gym, and make every attempt to have a good calorie deficit. I have decided on a life change, not a diet. I am making small changes every day that will hopefully lead to big changes in my life.

I apologize for the length of this post. I will try to keep it brief in the future.

I look forward to being a regular here as much as possible.

Thanks all,

Chris
Old 05-04-2012, 12:09 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by cladams
Ok well I have been lurking on the discussion boards for a few days now. And I finally feel like I have the courage to post. I'm a 41 year old male. I'm 6'2 and weight 359 lb.

I, like so many others, have always had issues with my weight. When I was in high school I was an athlete. I played football in the fall and baseball in the spring. I spent my winters and summers in the gym. I was always on the bigger side but I was very active and also did alot of outside work.

After high school I entered college. I wasn't quite good enough for college sports (even at a smaller college). I stopped working out. I partied (probably a bit too much), and ate like I was still playing sports. OOPS. So I put on weight with ease.

Fast forward...For the past ten years I have been working as a paramedic in a suburb of Philadelphia. We have always been on the go and eating whenever possible. This has lead me, and many of my coworkers to very bad food choices. So the pounds continued to pour on.

After a promotion I'm mostly behind a desk with a bit of time in the field sprinkled in. I have given every excuse in the book to not eat healthier and workout. You name it, I believed it. The thing is, there is no excuse. We have an excellent gym facility at our station and a trainer. However, I continued to make excuses. Over the past year a few things happened that really made me realize I needed a change (I will gladly share them but I feel like I am ranting a bit too much already).

Finally, last Wednesday I decided that enough is enough. I started to log everything I ate and have been working out. I'm not sure if I truly lost anything so far because the scale I had access to just read 'ERR' when I stepped on it. How's that for a kick in the gut? I bought a scale that actually works for me.

I already feel better and know that I am going in the right direction.

I can't make promises. I don't know what tomorrow will bring. But I do know that I will continue to log my food, work hard in the gym, and make every attempt to have a good calorie deficit. I have decided on a life change, not a diet. I am making small changes every day that will hopefully lead to big changes in my life.

I apologize for the length of this post. I will try to keep it brief in the future.

I look forward to being a regular here as much as possible.

Thanks all,

Chris
Chris, please, post as much as you like. If you read through this thread you'll see my novella about weight loss.

By coinydink, today is the second anniversary of my re-joining FitDay. I, too, had no idea if I could follow through or how this was all going to play out. All I can say is to come up with a plan you can live with, don't try to be "perfect" (none of us are, and it can derail you if that's what you're aiming for), do your best, be patient, and log every single thing you eat/drink into FitDay no matter how bad it is (you should see some of my 5 to 8K calorie days at camp!).

Let us know how things go and don't hesitate to post up if you need help or suggestions.

Regards,
Michael
Old 05-04-2012, 11:55 AM
FitDay Member

Michael,

Thanks for the support. It is largely because of your posts in this thread that I felt like this was the spot for me (I also found lots of encouragement in all of the posters here!).

Small successes are great. Today in the gym, I was able to extend my time on the treadmill and increase the pace! I also felt good on the stationary bike. I did eat a few more calories for lunch that I wanted but I am having a good and reasonable sushi dinner. I really thought I would be "hungry" but so far that really hasn't been the case. I am upping my water intake. I also was able to easily cut out cream and sugar from my coffee.

I hope everyone else is doing well and feeling well.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.