The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Community
Notices
Like Tree29Likes

The Official Unisex 100+ Pounds to Lose Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 02:15 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by NYCMike
Bill - Welcome back... I have been wondering how you are doing. It's funny, we have been on a very similar trajectory...

Today I am celebrating 3 months of 'recovery', and I am down 57 LBs! Taken as a whole this has been the most difficult but healthiest and happiest 3 months of my life.

I wanted to take a moment to thank all of you for your support and encouragement... Fitday, these forums, and all of you have really helped me get to this point and I can't thank you enough!!
Mike,

It is good to hear from you and the rest of the group! I have been struggling with some non-health issues that just took more of me than I cared to give, I was just too emotionally drained to even get on here and say hello. For that I am embarrassed and do apologize. Can you imagine how much 57 pounds are? The next time you are at the grocery, take 3 (count em' THREE) 20 pound sacks of potatoes (unless you are from certain parts of the south where I grew up and then take 3 bags a taters!) and set them in your cart. THAT is what you left in the past my friend. Three very heavy sacks of potatoes that you no longer carry every step of the day. Feel proud of your accomplishment and share your strength, knowledge and support with those that are still finding their way! Our friend ViruInside can use your support, your vision and your strength! I am certain many others need your magic words as well.

I implore you. Do not stray far from here as I have done. We need each other and together we all can succeed! (you would never know I have been listening to motivational CD's in the car would you! :-) )

It is great to hear from you and even better to bask in your success!

YOU ROCK DUDE!

Bill in KC
Old 08-13-2011, 02:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VirusInside
Just an update on my progress... My neck still hurts from that BRICK WALL i ran into. Can't seem to get over this hill. In other words, still no losses. I'm relapsing like crazy. But there's good news. I went to the doctor today (who is monitoring my weight loss efforts), and he prescribed me a month supply of phentermine. He said it'll knock my appetite out and help get me back on track.

Anyone have any experience with Phentermine? Words of wisdom? Warnings?

If nothing else hopefully it'll give me that mental boost I need to get back into that weight loss mind set.
Please accept my apologies as I do not know your gender. I am however certain you are struggling. For that I can offer three things. #1 DO NOT DESPAIR! Many times your body needs time to adjust to the changes it is experiencing and simply will refuse to let go of any weight until it is ready. If you are exercising, watching your diet (not dieting, but adjusting your intake to a healthy level) and reaching for your dream you cannot fail.

#2 Understand you are HUMAN! We all are most certainly error prone and we are dealing with the demons that got us to where we are now) Unlike a drug addict or an alcoholic, you will be exposed to food every day. Drunks and druggies can choose to remove themselves from the environment that is creating and feeding their addiction. You may not.

You are already stronger than I. You have lost 59 POUNDS (please read my post to NYC MIKE!) I had to have bariatric surgery to help me fight away the demons that forced me to eat more than what I should. I was an insulin dependent diabetic who still could not make the needed changes to move forward. In short, I had to have a crutch and you are taking the stance of a warrior. You are battling this thing with your very soul.

#3 (and most importantly) You ARE NOT ALONE! I am posting this to the entire forum. My email is [email protected] If you are struggling and want to talk. Here is where I can be found. When I answer your email (and I will) my cell is part of my signature. We are possibly the most discriminated class of people in the US. The overweight are the last to find employment and the first to be terminated. (it has happened to me 5 times in the last 20 years)

Do not give up. By your accomplishments, you have demonstrated you are a fighter and we need more people just like you! Keep reaching for your dreams and NEVER, NEVER give up!

Bill in KC
Old 08-13-2011, 11:20 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Bill, great post, thanks for sharing!

This journey can be a struggle, but giving up is NOT the answer (I know, I've given up in the past and suffered the consequences). The great thing here is that we don't have to be perfect. If we have a little "time off" for whatever reason, just get your head right and get right back on track.

I'm slightly ashamed that I consumed at least three day's worth of calories on Friday during our bike trip. Did better on Saturday, only two day's worth. But, today I am right back on track and in a few days those extra calories will be long gone. I guess that point I'm trying to make is that this is a life-long journey and a stall or even backslide isn't the end of the world.

If I can be of any help, even just a sympathetic ear I encourage anyone to PM me--I don't have all the answers, but I understand what you're going through.

Regards,
Michael
Old 08-14-2011, 08:13 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the great post Bill. You really know how fire a person up.
Just another update, it's now day two of my phentermine experiment, and all I can say is it sure does work. My doctor only wanted me on the 15mg (lowest possible dose) and only for one month. But so far I can really tell it's working. Could just be a placebo effect, but hey, I'm not complaining. I know these things often carry a stigma with them, and I wouldn't even resort to them if I didn't honestly think it was necessary. But it is under doctor supervision, so I'm not too worried.

I'm also in a really good mood these last couple of days, don't know why.

Thanks again Bill for the words of encouragement.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:48 AM
FitDay Member

Default Checking in

Good day my Fitday Friends,

I have been back a week and monitoring the forums. I have been eager to get back to you guys and see how everyone is doing. It has been some time since I posted as like many of you, I have been having some challenges in life. It is time to focus.

We need to be kind to ourselves and not expect perfection and to understand our limits. I am not making excuses, but rather, the realization that life is not all or nothing. Our priorities will shift and our energies will be needed in different places.

I consciously allowed myself to be less rigourous as I dealt with multiple stresses in my life. The stressers are not gone, in fact, I expect some things to worsen before they get better. What I do know is that without the 70 loss this pass winter/spring, I would not have had the resiliency to deal with the last 2 months. I also know that without a return to the good habits, that I will not be able to build the strength for what is ahead.

Weight loss is progressing, albeit at a very slow pace (5 lbs since the end of June). I am down to 215 as of this morning.

I must establish a routine and the proper balance. I am eager to take care of me. To all the new comers to Fitday, welcome! To my FitDay friends, it is great to be back!

Wishing you all healthy and happiness.

Plan your plan, Work your plan.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:13 PM
FitDay Member

Bill - Thanks a lot for the (very) kind words, you should be equally proud of everything that you have accomplished. BTW, I think absolutely nothing less of you (or your successes) for having the surgery (I sense a little self judgmental tones in your posts). Each one of us faces our challenges in our own way and I am very proud of your successes (YOU did that, not a doctor or anyone else). Not to mention that you lost 60 before the surgery. Sorry to hear that the non-health related stress, I hope that everything is okay... and more importantly, I hope that you are not using the stress as an excuse for unhealthy behavior (stress management is easily one of my biggest demons).

Virus - Great to hear from you and am very glad to see you getting back on track. I have never heard of the 'phen' treatment, sounds interesting. I am not surprised that you are feeling better... usually if I go astray for a few days once I get back to healthy behaviors, my mood reminds me that I am doing the right things and I feel better.

I have heard so many people talk about balance in the last few posts, and you could not be any more right. Healthy lifestyle is not about being perfect, it is about striking the right balance. I ate at one of the best pizza places in nyc on friday night, but I had gone running earlier in the day and the rest of the weekend has been very healthy. Overall, this has been a really positive, healthy weekend and the scale is showing it.

One of the biggest things I have overcome during my 'recovery' is the thought process that if I eat this particular 'bad' meal, then I may as well throw away the whole day or the whole weekend and I would go completely off the deep-end (sadly, that is an understatement). Now, I can have a particular meal that may not be the healthiest but I try to plan ahead and get some exercise earlier in the day, and make sure that I am back on the wagon the next day. During the last three months where I have been the most successful in my life, I have also been the most social and have gone out more, etc. Again, I am constantly working on balance. Work, Exercise, Eating, Drinking, Life...
Old 08-15-2011, 03:58 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, I think I picked the perfect time to read the latest posts! I need a boost today. I have been stuck for the last 3 weeks. Just can't seem to lose anything, after losing 29. I am going to try extra protein for a few days and see if that helps. However, I am NOT a protein person, lol! Veggies and fruit are much more my style. I'm not a vegetarian, just don't like a lot of meat.

Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by zahut
Wow, I think I picked the perfect time to read the latest posts! I need a boost today. I have been stuck for the last 3 weeks. Just can't seem to lose anything, after losing 29. I am going to try extra protein for a few days and see if that helps. However, I am NOT a protein person, lol! Veggies and fruit are much more my style. I'm not a vegetarian, just don't like a lot of meat.

Have a great day everyone!
Young Lady,

Try a Clif brand Builder's Bar (you can get them all over but I have found Sam's Club to be a good place) They have 20 G of Protein and in a lot of ways taste like a chocolate bar. I have never known a lady who did not like chocolate. They are low in fat and high on protein. I have one every two or three days. I use this brand because they taste less like drywall than the other brands I have tried (how is that for a ringing endorsement!) In any event, the extra protein should do the trick!

All my best...
Old 08-15-2011, 05:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by NYCMike

I have never heard of the 'phen' treatment, sounds interesting.
Yeah, it's just a prescription strength appetite suppressant. Some people swear by it, and others condemn it. Like most things I guess. Of course it can be habit forming, so I understand the concerns people have. A lot of users get addicted to it, especially those who use it without a doctor's supervision and take too much or for too long. I'm only on it for a month, and at the lowest possible dosage, so I'm not worried.

So far it seems to be working though. I only had 1200 calories yesterday. I feel full much, much sooner. And hunger is pretty much a non-issue. This is only supposed to be a way to help me get back on track and in the weight loss mind set again. I just hope I can keep pace once I stop taking the stuff.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 AM
FitDay Member

Bill, you are so right......I love chocolate! I will try one. Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.