Notices

New

Old 01-24-2010, 02:44 AM
FitDay Member

Unhappy New

So I am new to this whole thing. I have just hit rock bottom with my weight and feeling like crap. I am 5'10" and 220 pounds... After I had my son everything I ate just all added up when before I could eat anything and not gain a pound. I just don't know how to start with food. I love food and never do well with restrictions. So i have seen the diets where you have slimfast twice a day or you eat meal replacement bars... I don't think i would be successful with that. Any suggestions? I know i obviously have to cut cals. to loose weight just don't know how
Old 01-24-2010, 03:48 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there and congratulations on taking the first step towards better health.
Before you start on this journey you should try and get your mind ready. Firstly, consider this a lifestyle change, rather than a "diet". Diets are temporary, and will fail in the long run unless you can wrap your brain around the idea that you are making permanent changes.

Next you should do a little research on the foods you will be eating and how they affect your body, moods, mental state, etc. And take a look at what your current diet is doing to you. I find that being aware of what that can of soda pop is doing to me helps me avoid them - even though I LOVE coca cola.

Meal planning is extremely helpful. You know what you will be eating during the day, so it helps you to not reach out for those "no no" foods.

Some of the rules that I follow are:

No "white" foods. Like white flour, white rice, white pasta, white bread, white sugar and potatoes.
Instead it is whole grain variations...whole wheat pasta, brown rice, whole grain cereal, etc. And these should be eaten in measured amounts.

You can have up to 6 eggs a week, and as many egg whites as you wish. I have a whole grain english muffin with an egg for breakfast fairly often.

Try and keep red meat down to once, maybe twice a week. Instead use chicken, turkey or fish.

Eat vegetables (except potatoes). Salads, stir fries, soups, veggie plates...raw or cooked. This has to be the main focus of your diet. As many different kinds as you can eat, the more brightly coloured they are the more nutrients they have.

Fresh fruit is a good choice too, instead of sweets.

Try and drink 6 to 8 glasses of water.

If it seems overwhelming, start slowly, making one change at a time.

Good luck!
Old 01-24-2010, 04:14 AM
FitDay Member

Hello J, Welcome!

I just started a few weeks ago myself, these forums have been very supporting, motivating and full of great ideas from people who have succeeded with their health/weight loss goals, and also from those like us who are just embarking on this journey. Tracking food is really effective, keeps me accountable, and I can see where I 'go wrong' with food choices. Track everything.

Great advice Kathie, thanks for the reminders!!

Don't worry, after cleaning up your eating habits for even a week or so, you will feel better! All the best!
Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 AM
FitDay Member

I'm a little confused I was alwaysd told that potatoes were good in moderation as long as you are eating the skins and watching toppings they are full of vitamins nutrients and fiber also a great source of potassium (better than bananas)

Last edited by kikid315; 01-24-2010 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:26 AM
FitDay Member

J, what has helped me a lot is "the healthy community" thread! Everyone over there is so friendly, and so willing to answer questions. In addition to what the other two said I would suggest finding a buddy to help you through this. Even if it's just someone who will encourage you through this process.