Notices

Losing weight/gaining muscle. PLEASE HELP

Old 11-07-2010, 04:37 PM
FitDay Member

Question Losing weight/gaining muscle. PLEASE HELP

I need some help. I am trying to lose weight and gain muscle. I am 6'2" 276 currently. I have always heard that muscle weighs more than fat..... true or not? If so, then while I am dieting and walking/jogging, and on top of that lifting weights building muscle, then how will I be able to accurately track my weight loss. Seems like my weight would be going up and down like crazy(losing fat gaining muscle). I mean if I lose 10 pounds of fat and put on 5-10 in muscle, how do I keep track and stay positive if the scale keeps telling me the same thing. I think we all know that if we diet and exercise and don't SEE results (scale telling us we are smaller ), we become demotivated pretty easily. I don't think this will happen to me but, I just want to know if there is any way to keep track.

Also my goal weight of 225 is saying I will still be "overweight"..... Like I said I am 6'2" 276, I think it wanted me down at like 190 or something to be ideal... I don't think that would be possible. I forget which body type I am, but it is the one that can't ever really be skinny.... I believe the technical/scientific term we like to use is "big boned"? LOL. Any advice on a good weight goal, or does 6'2" 225 sound good?

Any help would be great!!! Thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 05:08 PM
FitDay Member

Muscle does weigh more than fat.

You also wont likely put on muscle at that kind of rate either....however I really wouldnt worry about what the scale says. Just do your thing and keep doing it consistently. If anything measurements means more than the scale does. They will drop in certain areas a lot.
If you are eating healthy/working out/getting stronger. You will see the results. Dont worry about daily weigh ins. Just stay positive and remember it takes time.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RippedSwim
Muscle does weigh more than fat.
By Volume.

Originally Posted by emmac83
I need some help. I am trying to lose weight and gain muscle. I am 6'2" 276 currently. I have always heard that muscle weighs more than fat..... true or not? If so, then while I am dieting and walking/jogging, and on top of that lifting weights building muscle, then how will I be able to accurately track my weight loss. Seems like my weight would be going up and down like crazy(losing fat gaining muscle). I mean if I lose 10 pounds of fat and put on 5-10 in muscle, how do I keep track and stay positive if the scale keeps telling me the same thing. I think we all know that if we diet and exercise and don't SEE results (scale telling us we are smaller ), we become demotivated pretty easily. I don't think this will happen to me but, I just want to know if there is any way to keep track.

Also my goal weight of 225 is saying I will still be "overweight"..... Like I said I am 6'2" 276, I think it wanted me down at like 190 or something to be ideal... I don't think that would be possible. I forget which body type I am, but it is the one that can't ever really be skinny.... I believe the technical/scientific term we like to use is "big boned"? LOL. Any advice on a good weight goal, or does 6'2" 225 sound good?

Any help would be great!!! Thanks!
You could purchase a tailor's measuring tape and take measurements: neck, upper arm, lower arm, chest, waist, hips, upper leg, and lower leg.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:28 AM
FitDay Member

I would just do your measurements more than worry about the scale. When I took a bootcamp class at Lifetime fitness 8 years ago, I worked out 5 days a week for an hour and only lost about 10-12 pounds after the three month class. But I was so much strong and much more toned so even though the scale said one thing, I was actually a lot thinner and toned than having weighed less than that before.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tips! I didn't even think about the measurements! Also, any cold weather jogging advice? Really hurts to breathe in this weather! I can't run as far because I can't breathe!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:04 AM
FitDay Member

I know what you mean about having a goal that still is overweight. My goal is to get to 192. Now, that is still way overweight for my size, but it's a lot better than the 220 I started with... So, I'm going for that interim goal and then I'll set a new goal for about 172. I'm not sure if I'll set a goal below that even though I'm "supposed" to weigh about 135. I just know I'm going to feel and look a whole lot better at 172 than at 220! Set a realistic goal for yourself - get there in a healthy way - and revel in your success!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:10 AM
FitDay Member

I have always run better in the cold instead of the heat since the humidity kills me. Maybe you can breathe with a scarf over your mouth to keep it warmer??? That's the only thing I can think of. I would just kepe trying to go as far as you can. Your lungs should adjusst to the cold, as long as its not 10 below or anything! I usually only run outside when its above 20 and luckily here right outside of Chicago, we don't have snow yet on the ground!
Old 11-08-2010, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

A pound of fat and a pound of muscle but weigh the same. The pound of muscle will take up less space.

I don't know if this was mentioned but it is a lot easier to gain muscle and shed fat when you are fat. Once you start to get your BF% down it will become much harder. Then you'll probably be faced with having to chose one of those goals and your diet will have to be much cleaner to obtain either goal.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:50 PM
FitDay Member

Just a reply to your mention of your breathing hurting when it is colder. I am not sure how cold it is where you live, but I grew up in Canada (where it gets cold ). I have run comfortably outside in -20C. Colder than -20C does indeed hurt and can be harmful to your lungs when running. This is because the deep inhalations needed for running bring cold air deep into the respiratory system before it can be warmed to body temperature. Therefore I wouldn't run outside below -20C. However, for everything above that, no problem ! I would suggest wearing a facemask or a scarf to act as a buffer layer between you and the outside air. Works well for me. Also remember to dress in layers. I think people unaccustomed to running in the cold often wear too much clothing and then get over heated (also inefficient). Thus- layers!
Good luck!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 PM
FitDay Member

I know exactly what you're talking about when you say the recommended weight for your height seems low. I'm a foot shorter than you, so the bottom end of a healthy weight for me is 99 pounds !! There is no way I even want to weigh that little, I would look like a skinny 12 year old boy! My DH has the same issue, he's 5'-8" and a healthy weight for him is like 168 or some such. Right now he weighs 190 and he looks just about right, even his doctor said so. So that "healthy range" business is just a ballpark, it doesn't fit everyone.

As for running outside, I flat out don't do it in the winter. I'm an asthmatic, and breathing air less than 30 degrees F while exercising will trigger an attack every time. So we have a gym membership where there is a track and a pool. And when it's not possible to get to the gym I have a couple of walking/running workout videos and an elliptical machine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.