FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Weight Loss and Thyroid issues (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/2225-weight-loss-thyroid-issues.html)

luceeloo 10-25-2010 02:05 PM

Weight Loss and Thyroid issues

I've been trying to lose weight for 2 years now, ever since I was diagnosed with an under-active thyroid and put on Synthroid meds. Would like to hear some success stories and how you achieved weight loss. :(

farahb7 10-26-2010 03:39 AM

Hello,
i have had thyroid problems(no thyroid production) and have been on thyrexin since the birth of my second child, 12 years ago. i also had problem losing weight, but 5 months ago i discovered fitday and things changed for me. i registered my food intake and found out:
1 i was not having enough calories a day ( was keeping it at 800-900 in my effort to lose weight)
2 almost all my calories were from simple carbs
3 was not drinking enough water

i changed all this, i have about 1100-1200 calories/day, have been trying to keep my carb/protein/fat ratio at or close to 40/40/20 and drink more water, about 64 ounces/day. I also have tried to exercise on a regular basis. to be honest, i didn't know any of these components of the weight loss on my own, but thanks to the wonderfull, knowledgable people and their support on this fourms i have lost 30 lbs and reached my goal in 5 months. good luck!

luceeloo 10-27-2010 03:36 PM

Thanks for the advice. How did you determine how many calories you need.

Hunny24 10-28-2010 01:17 AM

Its probably a good idea to meet with a nutritionist since they can help you deal with your thyroid issues as well as your weight loss.

farahb7 10-28-2010 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by luceeloo (Post 24035)
Thanks for the advice. How did you determine how many calories you need.

i researched on the internet. there is a website i beleive it's called Calorie Counter Database - Free Online Diet Program you enter your weight, age and some other information and it gives you the amount of calorie you need to maintain your weight and also how much you need to lose weight. there were some other threads on these forms giving information about how to calculate your calore needs as well.

Phylly67 11-03-2010 09:31 AM

I too have low thyroid and on medicine for it. Seems like only that only Atkin's has worked for me. My doctor even told me to go on a high protein low carb diet.

Jane850 11-03-2010 02:00 PM

There is a very active thyroid group on a low-carb board. It seems like a lot of people with an underactive thyroid have difficulty with carbs and they seem to do well on low carb diets. Another thing I've seen mentioned is that your medication might not be optimized. If you are still having symptoms - low energy, hair loss... you might want to talk to your doctor about your med levels and especially your T3 levels.

I was just diagnosed with hypo about 2 weeks ago and so I'm actively researching! I'm hoping that losing weight will be easier when my medication is at the correct level. Good luck! - Jane

LisaAnnie 11-13-2010 05:20 PM

I was diagnosed hypothyroid 3 years ago and have yet to successfully lose any of the weight I gained before diagnosis. Last year I was extremely diligent for 4 months, tracking every calorie, working out at the gym 5 days a week, swimming 2x a week. I put so much effort into it, and lost only 6 lbs. Frustrating!

I've heard it can be done, that low carb is the best route, and that daily aerobic exercise is a must. I know it's more difficult and takes even more motivation and discipline than before I had thyroid issues... I'm still working on that.

noelminneci 11-14-2010 11:31 AM

Well, I'm going to say something different. I am hypothyroid on meds over 15 years and have been at my ideal weight over 20 years because I don't go on diets. My nutrient breakdown is about 50 carb, 30 protein, 20% fat but I mainly concentrate on eating "real" food. I eat healthy food, enough, and when hungry and let my body take care of the rest. Going hungry to lose weight faster causes the body to go into famine mode. I do exercise an hour a day or so, resistance training is my favorite. Before I swore off diets, my weight swing was about 40 pounds and now I am naturally thin by following the principles in How To Become Naturally Thin By Eating More. I am 65 years old, female, and I weigh 128 pounds. I do wish you well in finding out what works for you.

vabeachgirlNYC 11-14-2010 02:40 PM

If you have a thyroid issue, it can make you gain weight no matter how hard you fight it, but when you are being treated and your levels are normal, you can lose the weight you gained.

If you are truly working out and eating healthy you will have more energy and you will lose the weight. If you are still dead tired and not losing the weight ask yourself if you are HONESTLY giving it your all. If you are, demand that your doctor have ALL of your levels checked and get a copy of the lab results so you can see them for yourself.

If your levels are normal then maybe you aren't trying as hard as you thought. Thyroid issue or not, it can be hard to make the lifestyle changes needed to become fit and healthier, but once you do, you realize how much better you feel and look.

As far as the lower carbs... (thyroid issue or not) You just need to find what works best for you. Mine are usually on the lower side but that is because they come from veggie/fruit sources, not the packaged "middle aisle" foods.

farahb7, Congrats on all you accomplished!