FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Weight Loss and Thyroid issues (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/2225-weight-loss-thyroid-issues.html)

POLLYRI 11-20-2010 08:22 AM

I have had thyroid issues for almost 30 years. My TSH bounces all over the place, hyper to hypo and back again all in the same year. My sister has had the same thyroid problems but her TSH has been steady for 30 years. Her weight has been steady for 30 years, mine bounces just like my TSH. There is no magic bullet and your thyroid does control much of this! I am under the care of a very good endocrinologist and they don't know why mine is all over the place. Do the best you can do! It is much harder to get any weight off if you are hypo. When I am hyper I can eat like a truck driver and can't gain or maintain, but my body is CRAZY with exhaustion from being hyper. Hyper is terrible.

bobbienne 11-20-2010 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by LisaAnnie (Post 26054)
Hi Bobbienne, what is NS? Is that for Nutrisystem?

yes Nutrisystem...Sorry for the acronym. :)

Have a good night all!

Pollyri: I guess thyroidism (hypo and hyper) causes fatigue...that stinks...
Hang in there :)

insatiableone 12-08-2010 11:42 AM

Bobbienne--I was curious to know more about a couple things you said. Why were you switched from Synthroid to another form of levothyroxine? Also, what do you know about soy being bad for hypothyroidism?

I just joined the forums a few days ago and wanted to say that I was put on levothyroxine in my teens, before I started to gain weight on antidepressants. I've had my blood tested a couple times a year and the dosage increased a few times, but it seems stable. I still struggle with fatigue, but I don't know that it's related to hypo because my doctor says my levels are normal. It never occurred to me to ask for the lab results, but I don't suffer from most of the hypo symptoms like hair loss. I was intrigued that so many posters on here did ask for their own copies of the lab results, and also that there are more markers that should be tested for. I may have to ask my doctor about this!

I drink soymilk instead of cow's milk because of IBS and I was wondering if I should switch over to almond milk instead. I've read that soy can be bad for women with a predisposition for breast cancer, but I wasn't aware it could impact hypothyroidism. Does anyone have more information on this? I thank you in advance.

J.

vabeachgirlNYC 12-08-2010 12:32 PM

I have Hypothyroidism. I'm also a vegetarian and eat soy everyday. My blood levels are checked every 8-12 weeks. Eating soy and other foods people say can effect the thyroid hasn't had any effect on my thyroid levels/function.

Unfortunately I think every food could be listed as "do not eat if you are hypothyroidism" if anyone searched the net hard enough. Seems like every food was named to cause cancer at one time or another too! http://www.snay.org/menshealth/forum...ns/emo-yes.gif

sachk771 02-11-2019 05:19 PM

My fast friend's father was diagnosed with hypothyroid 10 years ago. I have seen him losing weight gradually by controlling his diet and daily routine of aerobic exercising.

PaulHealthFitness 06-23-2019 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by luceeloo (Post 23911)
I've been trying to lose weight for 2 years now, ever since I was diagnosed with an under-active thyroid and put on Synthroid meds. Would like to hear some success stories and how you achieved weight loss. :(

any updates? once the thyroid hormore kicks in have you had better luck?

PaulHealthFitness 06-23-2019 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by LisaAnnie (Post 25410)
I was diagnosed hypothyroid 3 years ago and have yet to successfully lose any of the weight I gained before diagnosis. Last year I was extremely diligent for 4 months, tracking every calorie, working out at the gym 5 days a week, swimming 2x a week. I put so much effort into it, and lost only 6 lbs. Frustrating!

I've heard it can be done, that low carb is the best route, and that daily aerobic exercise is a must. I know it's more difficult and takes even more motivation and discipline than before I had thyroid issues... I'm still working on that.

How has your weight loss been?

timmothysmith01 03-06-2023 01:41 AM

One might anticipate a minor weight loss (often less than 10% of body weight) when hypothyroidism is treated because a significant portion of weight increase in hypothyroidism is salt and water accumulation.

rishabhdigital 03-08-2023 08:09 PM

Best Ways To Loose Weight With Thyroid Issues

1. Cut Out Simple Carbs and Sugars

2. Eat More Anti-Inflammatory Foods

3. Stick to Small, Frequent Meals

4. Keep a Food Diary

5. Move Your Body and take whey protein

6. Take Thyroid Medication as Directed