FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Calories consumed (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/219-calories-consumed.html)

cjohnson728 02-12-2010 11:59 AM

Here's a website I found useful:

Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

twisniewskikozak, maybe try to mix up your activity and your calories. The body doesn't like when things get predictable; it adjusts. The website above gives you a place to put in info; maybe your calories are too low, or read about the zig zag calories and see if it's something you might want to try.

Maybe change to walking, biking, jogging, something besides the dvd's, just to mix it up a little for the stubborn old metabolism?

Good luck!

Cassie

siliconbased 02-12-2010 12:00 PM

Glad this thread is here - I've been tracking myself for this week so far, and I'm amazed at what the site tells me that I should be having each day (according to the bar, 4,842 calories. Yeeek!) In a typical day, I'm ratcheting up only 2100 or so, and that's just going off of last night's. There was pizza, and I ended up having more than I wanted to, but I recorded every slice and I still came up short (2100). I'm 6'3" and my last weigh in November was 422 (I haven't been back since, and I only started tracking this week, exercising last week and this week). I feel a little low on energy around 3-5pm, but that's always been the case for me. I've figured out that if I add a half can of refried (low or no fat) beans right around that time, I can make it to 7-8 pm for dinner without any issues.

I've never been really active, and I like "the good stuff" (as in, healthy) so that'll help me in the long term. To say this will be easy is only fooling myself, just trying to keep it as real as I can.

Edit - if I use the calculator at that site that cjohnson728 posted (I have had it BM'd for a while actually!) it shows I need to be at 4082 a day, or 3378 for extreme loss. Ugh. I can see how folks are confused, so am I.

sault_girl 02-20-2010 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by sunrosa (Post 2985)
I don't think that's correct. That means I should be eating 1800 for "maintenance" which would put me right back gaining weight again. Maintenance for me is 1400-1500, at 150 lbs. Something off about that equation.

I spent the last year at abobut 1500-1800, working out religiously with weights and cardio for 30 - 120 minutes almost every day, and didn't lose an ounce. Cut my cals back recently to 1200-1400, and I'm losing abot a half pound a week.

There are a lot of factors at work.

That <in bold> is my understanding of the number of calories needed for maintenance - 10 calories per pound, so a person weighing 150 lbs should maintain that weight on 1500 calories.

This is not directed at you, sunrosa:

I can't help but think some of the people who are saying they aren't losing any weight on 1000 calories and 15 hours of exercise per day are miscalculating their calories.

siliconbased 02-22-2010 01:01 PM

sault_girl: I hadn't come across that kind of measurement before, thanks. I did some more research on it and the numbers you give are for women, at least according to the sites I saw. A few that I read that didn't seem to "pull from each other" says that men are 12-14 calories per pound, per day, so that would rocket me up to over 5000 calories a day to keep myself balanced at my current weight.

Yuck.

Can't wait to talk to my doctor about this some more, but any numbers are good numbers - I can show her how serious I am, and we can work on it together.

BridgetNicoleM 02-23-2010 03:18 PM

2 years ago I went on this diet that I am on again. I counted calories and didnt go over 1200 a day. I lost 100 pounds in 1 year!! I have started counting calories again and not going over 1200 per day, I have noticed that my clothes are fitting bigger but have not weighed myself yet as it is not time. I want to give myself about 2 weeks before weighing in again. I like to see bigger numbers lossed than I do smaller. Good luck to you all in your weight loss journey. You can do anything that you put your mind to ;)

siliconbased 02-24-2010 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by BridgetNicoleM (Post 4267)
2 years ago I went on this diet that I am on again. I counted calories and didnt go over 1200 a day. I lost 100 pounds in 1 year!! I have started counting calories again and not going over 1200 per day, I have noticed that my clothes are fitting bigger but have not weighed myself yet as it is not time. I want to give myself about 2 weeks before weighing in again. I like to see bigger numbers lossed than I do smaller. Good luck to you all in your weight loss journey. You can do anything that you put your mind to ;)

Woooot! I'm in a similar boat - I'm still a looong way off, but there's a great deal of room in my jeans, even accounting for the stretch factor. I wear 58/38's and they normally take a week to become comfortable, but I'm down to about 3 days after washing them where they are loose again.

The biggest sign that something is going the right way for me is that my fiance can reach all the way around me now when she hugs me. Tickles both of us pink. :)

It helps that I know a guy who was in a similar boat as I was, and now... he's... incredible. I know that if I hit any real road blocks, I can rely on him.

soonamee 02-24-2010 07:21 PM

Kelley, on 1200 calories a day you would be losing more weight than on 1675, but you would probably be losing some muscle.

If you eat too few calories, you do lose weight, just not as much as you'd expect. Basically, there isn't much point in reducing calories below 1000. But still, your body has to run on something, and the less calories you eat, the more it will take from your body. If your calorie intake is severely restricted, your body will take energy from anywhere in your body, including fat, muscles, and organs.

Anyway, if you're only eating 1200 calories a day and not losing weight, I would get a thyroid test. Get your doctor to order blood tests for all the thyroid hormones (not just TSH). Also, get a blood glucose test. If your blood glucose levels are high, you might find it hard to lose weight, and it can lead to type 2 diabetes.

soonamee 02-24-2010 07:39 PM

Keep in mind that the BMR is just an approximation. Metabolism is very much genetically determined. It also reduces with age. A slower metabolism is actually an evolutionary advantage - it means your body uses energy more efficiently.

Also, combining intense cardio with weight training is the best way to speed up your metabolism. On top of the energy you use during the exercise, you burn more for the rest of the day as well. Increased muscle mass also raises metabolism. Combined cardio and weights also has the best effect on blood sugar and insulin levels. Insulin resistance causes more insulin to be secreted, making it very hard to lose weight. Exercise + calorie reduction will decrease your insulin levels.

Incentive 02-25-2010 07:23 AM

Back Again

About 4 years ago I lost 35 pounds on fit day. I was amazed how my eating habits changed and once I started loosing it kept coming off....well, I got off the program, too many happy hours and retirement parties and it started sneaking up on me. Almost 20 pounds, so here I am, back and ready to eat less and move more....lets go gang.

Devansh21 09-14-2021 01:55 AM

Check with Weight Loss Supplements for Men Online Lean+ Assist Men for Healthy Weight Loss by Curbing Appetite & Burn Fat. Buy Fat Loss Supplements for Men @ForMen.Health