Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
How do I know what my "lifestyle" is? >

How do I know what my "lifestyle" is?

Community
Notices

How do I know what my "lifestyle" is?

Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default How do I know what my "lifestyle" is?

Hi, I just joined FitDay. I'm having trouble choosing my "lifestyle", as in sedentary, seated, mostly seated, active etc. I think I am "mostly seated with some movement," although it does changes every day. However I think that pushes the amount of calories I burn in a day too high (I'm not sure I burn 21-2200 calories a day without doing any extra exercise, but maybe I do). The next step down is "seated all day" but that isn't really true for me. I have a part time standing job (16 hrs/week) that on certain days can be quite physical and I am a student so I sit in class for an hour then walk across campus to another class, walk to and from from the bus stop, and at home I usually sit but obviously I get up often. Which one should I choose?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:20 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by mellinahuitema
Hi, I just joined FitDay. I'm having trouble choosing my "lifestyle", as in sedentary, seated, mostly seated, active etc. I think I am "mostly seated with some movement," although it does changes every day. However I think that pushes the amount of calories I burn in a day too high (I'm not sure I burn 21-2200 calories a day without doing any extra exercise, but maybe I do). The next step down is "seated all day" but that isn't really true for me. I have a part time standing job (16 hrs/week) that on certain days can be quite physical and I am a student so I sit in class for an hour then walk across campus to another class, walk to and from from the bus stop, and at home I usually sit but obviously I get up often. Which one should I choose?
I think "seated with some movement" sounds about right from your description.

Use that setting for a month and if the numbers don't add up, move up or down the "lifestyle" scale, depending. Calories burned and basal metabolism are at best an educated estimate and can vary widely with each individual.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:15 PM
FitDay Member

Great, thanks for your help!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM
FitDay Member

My plan is to keep a journal of ALL my foods and activities for a week or two and see how many calories in each, then set the base metabolism and exercise level to match reality. ... Even if reality turns out embarrassing.