Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
FitDay Member

I'm aiming for about a 100 grams, which is probably about a gram per pound of lean body weight. I'm trying hard not to lose muscle mass as I lose weight, so that's why I'm keeping my protein that high.

I used to always wonder how people managed to eat that much protein. Then I discovered a couple of very useful things: Frozen, individually vacuum sealed tilapia fillets, and frozen, boneless chicken breast pieces.

I've always hated cooking and dealing with meat/chicken/fish because it's slimy and disgusting, and I tend to forget it in the fridge for too many days before I get around to cooking it. But I found that my grocery store has bags of frozen fish and chicken, and it's real easy to just reach in and grab one.

On my strength training days, I usually poach two tilapia fillets after my workout. That like 40-something grams of protein right there. Other times I'll take out four chicken pieces and defrost them in the microwave while the George Foreman grill heats up. Then I cook them on the grill for a few minutes, and just eat them plain, or dipped in a bit of olive oil. Or I'll cut them up and then stir fry them in a tablespoon of olive oil. Everything is better with olive oil.

I really don't like cooking. My kitchen is microscopic and hard to work in, and I'm constantly being interrupted by my darling children, who won't touch healthy food with a ten-foot pole ("Ewww, it has texture! And smell! Gag! How am I supposed to eat that?!"), so it's rarely worth any kind of effort. So I'm a big fan of quick, one-ingredient foods.

Oh, and tuna. I'll eat a can (4 oz, drained) of tuna with a spoonful of chutney mixed in. You can also mix cottage cheese into it, too. It's not too pretty to look at, but it's good, and has a lot of protein.

Starting weight: 157 lbs.-- June 23, 2010
Current weight: 149 lbs.
Mini-goal: 136 lbs.-- November 1, 2010
Target weight: 120 lbs.-- February 21, 2011
elderwanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I get in around 200g/day
01gt4.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
FitDay Member

I had been in the 160g-200g/ day protein range with a standard low-fat approach. In transitioning to Primal, though, I noticed my protein intake is dipping as I increase the fat calories. I'm closer to 120g/day now, but the pounds are coming off again, and faster this time.

I'm 5'10", male, currently 178lbs (down from near 200), targeting low-160s.
m330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:01 AM   #14 (permalink)
FitDay Member

I've averaged 95.9G of protein per day for a bit over a month.
135for35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoeyCoey View Post
I consume on average 10% of my daily calories in protein or about 63g a day (.84g/kg) when I am moderately active, and when I become very active, I see it go up to about 110g. The increase is mostly because I have trouble betting enough calories from fruits and vegetables when I am very active. I either eat 20 bananas a day, or I throw in some beans, lentils, nuts, etc.
you really eat 20 bananas' a day?
DecemberBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
FitDay Member

I want to lean out too...I'm thinking about trying the USDA food Pyramid recommendation of macro nutrient breakdown...see what happens. I did however find that I can get up to 90g of protein without the protein shakes...which I prefer because those things are costly.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
FitDay Member

It really depends on my activity levels. Recently I haven't been doing too much movement so I'm probably (guess) getting around 50-70g/day. This has come from my morning oatmeal with protein added, cheese (love plain mozzarella), and a small amount of meat, lentils, and different types of beans. Small amounts come from vegetables too.

When I'm more active (lifting weights 4 times a week, some form of cardio every day) I try to get minimum 100g, shooting for 130g/day. Usually this involves, in addition to the above, more protein powder (mixed into milk), more meat, eggs, and more beans and veggies. Hm.... I guess that's more food in general =]

My rules:
1) eat real food - more vegetables, moderate meat, moderate fruits, less grains, less sugar, less vegetable oils.
2) exercise - moderate intensity cardio, sprinting, heavy lifting, dedicated stretching and mobility.
3) live - relax, de-stress, meditate.

Disclaimer: I'm not professionally qualified to make any formal recommendations. I've just done my homework and I'm my own guinea pig. All of my data, unless otherwise cited, comes from a sample size of n=1 (me).
tandoorichicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:37 AM   #18 (permalink)
FitDay Member

The question is how many grams of protein do you eat per day. Generally I'm all over the map, usually between 80-150 grams depending on the day. I aim for around 130-150, which if I keep it to my calorie budget is between 30-40% of my intake.
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
FitDay Member

30% of my calories for protein, usually about 100 gm., all from real food. I don't do protein powders.
noelminneci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:34 AM   #20 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floatalicious View Post
I always have a tough time getting enough protein without ending up with too much fat too!

How do you eat your lentils?
ha...rarely do honestly...I haven't had lentils in a while; but when I do eat it i eliminate other fats in that days diet like nuts...but then I'm short on calories...ugh.

Tags
protein