FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Any comments on diet frozen meals? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/1791-any-comments-diet-frozen-meals.html)

Deanna0404 08-18-2010 06:19 AM

Any comments on diet frozen meals?

I really get tired of just vegetables and fruits and was wondering how everyone felt about the Lean Cuisines, Weight Watchers, etc.? Sometimes I want more flavor. Should I not be eating these, even if I am staying within my calorie range? And if I shouldn't eat those, any suggestions on some other foods?

Thank you! I just started two days ago at 224 pounds. I am 5'7" and looking to be around 160 pounds.

vsabino 08-18-2010 07:17 AM

I don't think they're necessarily bad. Just watch the sodium content, the carb or fat content if you're concerned about any of the two specifically. These frozen meals don't satiate enough in my opinion, but some days you come back from work really tired, they can save your diet and prevent an otherwise sure binge...
It's not just about nutritional factors, sometimes it's about psychology too... =)

Besides these ready-to-eat meals, you should find some spices or recipes that without adding too many calories give you flavor (it doesn't have to be grilled meat or steamed veggies every day!). For example I love curry and it has very few calories. Try marinating things, etc.

Good luck!

SailorDoom 08-18-2010 06:21 PM

Hi Deanna. I'm on the road a ton for work, often staying in hotels 5 nights a week. If I'm lucky they'll have a microwave and mini fridge in the room. If not, its either go out to eat every night (sounds like a treat until you have no choice) or use the microwave in the lobby (this can sometimes become an elaborate affair involving coolers, various tupperware and a trusty shaker of Mrs. Dash). I'm actually a motivated cook when I am at home and used to be incredibly grossed out by microwave dinners -- It's no better than space food, I thought. All those calories! All those preservatives! What would my mom think??? lol. I didn't even own a microwave until a year ago!

Anyway, I've started getting pretty creative with frozen entrees or combinations of sides and they're really not all that bad or bad for you. My faves are the Amy's brand stuff or the Kashi meals (super healthy!), but I'm usually limited to a rural grocery store or, more commonly, the Wal Mart grocery section for frozen stuff I can't keep in my plain ol' cooler. My current pick are the Lean Cuisine Market Creations meals (they're in a small bag that you nuke). They're not too bad and come in several boredom-fighting varieties. I usually grab one of those and a steamer bag of veggies (Birds Eye and various other brands make those) and eat as much of the veg as I want along with the meal. The Marie Callenders Pasta al Dente are really good too, but compare labels to make the best choices. Another option is frozen brown rice, which you can steam in the bag and combine with stir fry sauce and some veggies. There are lots of possibilities, but as mentioned before, not everything is what it seems -- compare the labels (especially calories and sodium) to make sure your choice is solid.

P.S. If saving $$ is a concern, I would recommend decreasing your intake premade/prepared foods -- it is way cheaper to make a few things at least partially from scratch and rely on frozen meals in a pinch than to eat them all the time. You're less likely to get bored and more likely to stick with it longer (ideally forever -- this isn't just a temporary diet, right?). Plus you get the added benefit of knowing exactly what's in your food, which gives you more "editorial privilige", i.e. the ability to make changes as needed. Just my two cents...

Deanna0404 08-19-2010 02:18 AM

Thank you for all your input. I am already getting tired of the things i have been eating, and it's only been four days. I am very weak also. Don't know what can be done about that. I have to do alot more research to figure out what's best for me.
Low fat and/or calorie recipes seem to have alot of ingredients that I dont currently have, which means more money spent on those items and then what if I never use them again? Spices can get very costly.
So anyway, thank you for all your advice. I will put it all to good use!
I have to stick to this this time - this is the biggest I have been and it disgusts me.

vsabino 08-19-2010 02:37 AM

I get spices in chinese food stores, believe it or not. They cost about 10 times less than in regular stores! As for frozen meals, the weight watchers ones are really tasty!
What do you mean that you are very weak? You mean in terms of not braking the diet or in terms of your body?

Deanna0404 08-19-2010 03:01 AM

In terms of my body - I need some kind of energy booster.

rpmcduff 08-19-2010 03:09 AM

For me keeping my protein intake up (30% fo my daily calories) and my simple carbs low helps me have more energy. Recently I was at my son's house helping him with some car work. He ordered us pizza for lunch. It just seemed to drain me (carb crash?). I ate a protein bar and was able to perk back up. I seem to be able to eat as much fresh vegetables as I want and don't have any problems with energy.

Deanna0404 08-19-2010 03:35 AM

I need to do something to get my protein intake higher. Maybe I should try the protein bars - I'm just not that much of a meat eater. I do like eggs though. It just seems so hard to keep the calorie intake down and eat throughout the day. I am struggling with that - I seem to be eating alot of fruit and there's no protein there.

I will get this all together sooner or later :)

elljak 08-19-2010 06:55 AM

Diet meals are OK once in a while as a standby, but for me - there isn't enough in them, and they are expensive :( -
Cook your own, experiment with herbs and spices to strengthen flavours, cook more than you need and freeze some so there is a quick healthy meal available to you. Cook your favourite meals and find substitutes for the parts or ingredients that are high in fat and fill up on veggies - your own meals are better for you, easier to track (because there are no added undesirables) and there is more of it for the price and for the calories :D

elljak 08-19-2010 06:58 AM

Five or six small meals a day with protein of some description in each - keeps your sugar levels balanced and your energy levels up :)

elljak 08-19-2010 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Deanna0404 (Post 19049)
I need to do something to get my protein intake higher. Maybe I should try the protein bars - I'm just not that much of a meat eater. I do like eggs though. It just seems so hard to keep the calorie intake down and eat throughout the day. I am struggling with that - I seem to be eating alot of fruit and there's no protein there.

I will get this all together sooner or later :)

Apple and cottage cheese is a good standby
Protein powder and cereal
Spicy lentil soup - dead easy to make, tastes good, uses lots of veggies and you can vary the flavour to suit. Freezes well too
Tinned fish is good - mackerel on toast (yummy), tuna and pasta with balsamic vinegar.

Enjoy:)

rpmcduff 08-19-2010 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Deanna0404 (Post 19049)
I need to do something to get my protein intake higher. Maybe I should try the protein bars - I'm just not that much of a meat eater. I do like eggs though. :)

Protein Shakes and whey powder are probably better alternatives than the protein bars. The bars have more carbs, fat and calories. You can create a treat making a protein shake and adding a few berries. High in protein and you get a dessert!

Deanna0404 08-20-2010 03:13 AM

Thank you for all the tips! I actually did better yesterday than I have all week. I felt like I ate alot but actually had less calories and more protein. Now I just need to find more foods to eat because I know I will get tired of them fast. I have only just begun and I hate eating the same things all the time. That is the problem I had with weight Watchers was that I found some things I liked and got tired of counting points so I just ate the same things all the time. BORING!!!

I like fruits and vegetables but I tire of those easily also. I can eat watermelon and pineapple like crazy but I also need something salty.

I hate Progresso Southwest Vegetable soup last night and it was very good.

Thank you again!

davej323 08-20-2010 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Deanna0404 (Post 18960)
I really get tired of just vegetables and fruits and was wondering how everyone felt about the Lean Cuisines, Weight Watchers, etc.? Sometimes I want more flavor. Should I not be eating these, even if I am staying within my calorie range? And if I shouldn't eat those, any suggestions on some other foods?

Thank you! I just started two days ago at 224 pounds. I am 5'7" and looking to be around 160 pounds.

As someone else mentioned, those frozen meals are nice to have as an occasional stand-by, but sodium and other preservatives should be a concern if you are thinking about eating them regularly. In order to avoid the pitfall of cheating on my diet when I don't feel like cooking, I try to make big batches of generic ingredients such as chicken breast and hard-boiled eggs. Adding spices and vegetables to some already cooked chicken (or perhaps tofu if you are looking for a vegetarian option) can give you a different flavor of stir-fry every night. Likewise with hard boiled eggs. They can be made into egg salad, added as a green salad topping, deviled, etc. I also like to keep a big bag of broccoli florets in the fridge and a bag of asparagus spears in the freezer because those are also ingredients that can be added to many things to make a quick meal. One of my favorite vegetable side dishes is asparagus cut into bite-sized pieces and sauteed in a little olive oil with some minced garlic. As far as the broccoli goes, it is very easy to put it on a plate, top it with a little cheese and crushed peppers, and cook it in the microwave just long enough to melt the cheese (use low-fat cheese if fat content is a concern on your nutrition plan).

Hope this helps and best of luck!

BlueIx 08-20-2010 05:23 AM

My microwave recently died, and I decided not to replace it right away, to see how much I miss it. And actually, I don't. The extra counter space is great, and though I always tried not to eat too many microwave meals, this ensures that I don't ever eat them. All my food is either raw or cooked on the stove/in the oven... I'm not a great cook, but the best way to learn is to just DO it. I am getting better, bit by bit. I am a vegetarian, and honestly don't find it too difficult to keep the protein up. Remember a lot of green veggies have lots of protein, as well as nuts and beans. Also, have you tried Quinoa (pronounced Keenwah)? It looks almost like sliced up rice, and acts pretty much the same - though it's actually a cereal rather than a grain and has amazing amounts of protein in it. I will often just buy one new ingredient that I've never used before, then look up a bunch of recipes for that thing and decide from there whether I should add it to my list of stuff to always keep around. Trial and error!

I think finding the right foods for our bodies is one of the most important things we can do for our health, yet it's something that so many people are lazy about and then don't understand why they don't feel good.

I wish you luck in your food quest!

davej323 08-20-2010 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by BlueIx (Post 19171)
My microwave recently died, and I decided not to replace it right away, to see how much I miss it. And actually, I don't. The extra counter space is great, and though I always tried not to eat too many microwave meals, this ensures that I don't ever eat them. All my food is either raw or cooked on the stove/in the oven... I'm not a great cook, but the best way to learn is to just DO it. I am getting better, bit by bit. I am a vegetarian, and honestly don't find it too difficult to keep the protein up. Remember a lot of green veggies have lots of protein, as well as nuts and beans. Also, have you tried Quinoa (pronounced Keenwah)? It looks almost like sliced up rice, and acts pretty much the same - though it's actually a cereal rather than a grain and has amazing amounts of protein in it. I will often just buy one new ingredient that I've never used before, then look up a bunch of recipes for that thing and decide from there whether I should add it to my list of stuff to always keep around. Trial and error!

I think finding the right foods for our bodies is one of the most important things we can do for our health, yet it's something that so many people are lazy about and then don't understand why they don't feel good.

I wish you luck in your food quest!

I would be interested to see a study that shows how much of an increase there has been in heart disease and diabetes since the introduction of retail microwave ovens in the mid-80's. Without even seeing such a study I am fairly confident that there has been an increase in both. We have a similar story in our household. I had a roommate move, and she took her microwave with her. We switched to a very small one that we had in storage. It is low-powered and so small that it won't fit a dinner plate in it. Although we had intentions of getting another big one, I am thinking we might just stick with the little one that we have nicknamed the "easybake oven." Having to rely on the easybake oven has forced us to use the electric griddle, oven, stove-top, and barbecue for most of our cooking, and I must say that we are better off for it because we now typically eat whole, fresh food rather than microwaved crap.

blinkblink 08-21-2010 09:30 AM

More protein suggestions

Like you, I am not into eating a lot of meat but I do need to eat protein frequently throughout the day. Your salty cravings and protein needs can both be addressed by a handful of nuts or seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, etc). Just try not to overdo, a little goes a long way! Some other suggestions for non-meat protein sources:

- greek yogurt
- dried edamame
- soy nuts (I love the wasabi flavor!)
- spirulina/carob "energy chunks" (usually found at any health food store or co-op with a bulk section)
- chickpeas/hummus

Best of luck!

Jennybeeb 08-21-2010 01:53 PM

I personally order a lot of frozen Fruits and Veggies from Schwan's, and they also have an entire line of "LiveSmart" foods which are limited in calories, sodium, fat, etc.

The food is still delicious, and I lost about 40lbs. while incorporating their foods into my daily menus.

I love that most everything is individually packaged (including their plain chicken breasts) and that it gets delivered to my front door. I'm never tempted with buying junk at the grocery store because I don't have to shop there often except produce and dairy.

I definitely would take a look at Schwan's - they have a lot of healthy items, that are easy to cook while at work, or even if you're just eating by yourself :)

Deanna0404 08-23-2010 01:35 AM

Schwans is a great idea! I am always tempted when I go to the store to buy things I don't need. I always try not to go hungry either - that will kill my diet everytime.

I have to say that I went off the diet this weekend, but not badly. I was doing so well this past week and I truly could feel the difference. I don't want to weigh myself till the end of this week, because if I didn't lose, I don't want to be bummed about it all week.

Thanks to all of your tips and comments!

davej323 08-23-2010 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Deanna0404 (Post 19376)
Schwans is a great idea! I am always tempted when I go to the store to buy things I don't need. I always try not to go hungry either - that will kill my diet everytime.

I have to say that I went off the diet this weekend, but not badly. I was doing so well this past week and I truly could feel the difference. I don't want to weigh myself till the end of this week, because if I didn't lose, I don't want to be bummed about it all week.

Thanks to all of your tips and comments!

I remember a statement about grocery store temptation in the very first Atkins book that I read. Doctor Atkins suggested that we try to do our grocery shopping around the edges of the store. I have followed this philosophy, and except for the occasional personal care and cleaning items, spices, and some frozen vegetables, I never need to browse the aisles of the grocery store. Most of my shopping consists of fresh meat, cheese, and produce. Not only is my shopping a lot quicker than it used to be, but I avoid all that processed temptation in the aisles.

curvygirl63 08-23-2010 07:47 AM

Frozen Diet meals are loaded with so much sodium. The only convenience is the portion size which will tend to make you more hungry. The sodium will also cause you to retain water and you will not show a weight loss and in most cases - you gain. Then, you start to blame yourself and at this point most people give up and quit. It just isn't worth it.

How about making your own "frozen meals". I grill a bunch of chicken, turkey or salmon on the weekend, steam brocholi or stir-fry some veggies and pre-pack my own meals. That way I won't get bored and I control the salt. You do save $$$ in the long run. I keep a lot of salad and cut-up veggies on hand.

It's an investment of about 3 hours on saturday night to have food available during the week. Sometimes, I have so much food cooked, there is no excuse for not having anything to eat or no time to cook. I simply re-heat something I've already prepared. I can go almost 2 weeks without having to cook again.

Give it a try. I'd really stay away from frozen "diet" meals (Weight Watchers, Lean Cuisine, etc.) and make your own.

Good luck.