Notices

What am I doing wrong?

Old 08-12-2010, 02:37 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy What am I doing wrong?

Hi everyone. I'm new to this. Let me tell you a little about me. I'm female, 28, just had a baby 8 weeks ago. I weighed 173 at delivery and am currently 158-160.
I am finding it almost impossible to lose anymore weight. I have been working out 6 days a week for 40 minutes doing Shaun T's INSANITY workout. It's pretty vigourous cardio/resistance training. I eat between 1500-1800 calories, which is the recommended amount using the formula included in his workout as well as fitday's recommendation. What am I doing wrong?

I have lost some inches, but seem to be at a stall. I have been doing this workout for 4 weeks now (well this monday was the start of my 4th week). I don't physically see anymore changes. I eat usually 50% carbs (no whites), 30%fat and 20% protein, usually around that amount. I eat this percentage because I have a lot of stomach issues (reflux, gastritis) and too much protein upsets my stomach.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2010, 04:19 PM
FitDay Member

Can you give us a little more information? What is your BMR (Base Metabolic Rate), how many calories do you burn exercising and what is your caloric deficit? (BMR + Exercise - Food calories = Caloric deficit). Are you breast feeding?

One reason I ask is that I am a 51 year old male, 5'-11" and approx 225# and my caloric intake goal is 1500-1700 per day. A general rule is to acheive a caloric deficit of 500 to 1000 calories per day. This allows for weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week.

If you are already achieving the deficit then perhaps you need to look at the timing of your meals. How many meals and what is your is your intake at each meal? (Posting your food log would also be helpful.)
Old 08-12-2010, 05:26 PM
FitDay Member

It's hard to say much but I can make some educated guesses as to why progress has slowed.

First, you must remember that your body is getting conditioned to the workout and meal plan. I understand Insanity is a progressive program with the intent of constantly challenging your body to reach new goals, but your diet should do the same thing. If you started Insanity only able to do so much, and kept doing only that much, progress is gonna slow or eventually halt. Treat your diet the same way, maybe drop your calories by another 250 for a few days or a week and gauge progress then.

But at the same time if you're barely 4 weeks into the program you shouldn't be stalling. The only thing I can suggest is make sure you're being exact with your calories. Measure all of your food exactly. A caloric deficit, adequate protein, and moderate exercise are always (barring a physical condition) always, always lead to weight loss.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:12 PM
FitDay Member

You probably aren't doing anything wrong, losing inches is better than losing pounds. Losing inches TRULY means you are losing FAT. So don't get discouraged. Congrats on being a new mom.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
Can you give us a little more information? What is your BMR (Base Metabolic Rate), how many calories do you burn exercising and what is your caloric deficit? (BMR + Exercise - Food calories = Caloric deficit). Are you breast feeding?

One reason I ask is that I am a 51 year old male, 5'-11" and approx 225# and my caloric intake goal is 1500-1700 per day. A general rule is to acheive a caloric deficit of 500 to 1000 calories per day. This allows for weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week.

If you are already achieving the deficit then perhaps you need to look at the timing of your meals. How many meals and what is your is your intake at each meal? (Posting your food log would also be helpful.)
I use whatever equation they gave in the insanity calculator (it was a bunch of multiplying subracting and adding...lol) But anyways my intake according to that was 1800, so I figure eating 1500-1800 would result in weight loss. It is incredibly intense and like I said I do it 6/week, each workout is 40minutes of pure cardio.

I have only lost maybe 2 lbs, but probably 4 inches. Right now I seem to be stalling though. I guess I will try to decrease calories even more, but my concern is that I'm not eating enough and my metabolism is needing more? I do breastfeed, but according to the national association on breastfeeding, they no longer suggest an additional 300 calories per day as they use to.

If I decrease my intake to lets say 1300-1500 calories, should I definately see some change after 1 week? I have read that what you do doesn't fully register on the scale until about 3 days later?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:31 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by heytred
Measure all of your food exactly. A caloric deficit, adequate protein, and moderate exercise are always (barring a physical condition) always, always lead to weight loss.
LOL....this is probably the problem. I don't measure hardly anything. I have been told that I am suppose to weigh even a banana and things like that, but usually I just enter it into fitday as 1 medium banana, and so forth. I do have a food scale, I guess it's just time to really jump on the wagon and be 100%. I don't think I'm actually off by much, but I guess an oz here and another oz there makes a huge difference. I'm gonna start measuring EVERYTHING as of tomorrow (well sunday...I work tomorrow) and I'll see if that makes a difference, if not then I will try decreasing calories.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:33 PM
FitDay Member

You can use the tools on Fitday to calculate your BMR. Enter your body stats (height, weight, age, and your activity level) and Fitday will calculate your BMR. If you set up a weight loss goal it will also figure a caloric deficit for you to shoot for. While this is not perfect (I had to tweak mine a bit) it works for many and is at least a good starting point. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:50 PM
FitDay Member

You know what they say about pregnancy don't you? Nine months up, nine months down. Post partum your body is still going through a ton of hormonal changes and some of the stall out could just be water weight your body hasn't gotten rid of yet. I think the working out is great, whatever it is, and I think watching your diet is also great, but seriously give yourself a little time to recover from the pregnancy, it's a BIG deal and the whole process doesn't end once the baby is born.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
You know what they say about pregnancy don't you? Nine months up, nine months down. Post partum your body is still going through a ton of hormonal changes and some of the stall out could just be water weight your body hasn't gotten rid of yet. I think the working out is great, whatever it is, and I think watching your diet is also great, but seriously give yourself a little time to recover from the pregnancy, it's a BIG deal and the whole process doesn't end once the baby is born.
I know...my husband tries to tell me this everyday...lol. I'm just super active, I exercised daily doing cardio with my first child and was in great shape right after I had him. However with my child I just had, I was very sick and unable to workout, so I lost a lot of my muscle tone. I know I do need to be patient. I only have 20-25lbs to lose but I'm just so anxious
Old 08-14-2010, 01:48 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rpmcduff
You can use the tools on Fitday to calculate your BMR. Enter your body stats (height, weight, age, and your activity level) and Fitday will calculate your BMR. If you set up a weight loss goal it will also figure a caloric deficit for you to shoot for. While this is not perfect (I had to tweak mine a bit) it works for many and is at least a good starting point. Good luck.
Well according to calculators, my BMR is 1520, with my activity level it is 2356. So if I am correct, decreasing by 500 a day I would be eating around 1800 calories. I aim between 1500-1800, correct???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.