Notices

What am I doing wrong?

Old 08-14-2010, 05:22 AM
FitDay Member

Congratulations on your new baby! I agree with the people who said you've got to give it time. It sounds like you are doing the right stuff, so don't worry.

Pregnancy really is a big deal, and it takes time to recover and get back to normal. Honestly, I didn't feel fully recovered from my first for about two years.

I had two pregnancies (my boys are 12 and almost 9). I know there is all this stuff about how wonderful it is to exercise and keep fit when you're pregnant, but I couldn't do anything physical at all. With my first pregnancy, after the first five months, I couldn't even crouch down to pick something off the floor. My body just wouldn't balance that way, and my knees wouldn't bend normally. I remember standing in line at a store and dropping some coins. I couldn't bend down to pick them up off the floor, and all the women in line just stood there, gawking. Finally some nice man helped me out. Not only was it hard to move, but the extra weight was hurting my feet a lot. So mostly I just sat on my butt all day. Exercising truly wasn't an option.

With my second, it wasn't as bad, but I had a lot of pain in my hips, especially when going up stairs. I was also uncomfortably overheated all of the time. This child was born in late August, so I was heaviest and most encumbered in the hot days of summer. I would go out walking with my three year old, but I'd end up so hot and uncomfortable that I just couldn't bear it unless we stopped at the local independent ice cream shop for a root beer float all the time. With their "super-creamed" ice cream, as they call it. Sure, in hindsight ice-water would have been a better choice, but I felt like crap and needed the root beer floats. Also, I didn't realize how much extra weight fat I was gaining.

I'm just saying all that to let people know that sometimes you can't help but gain weight and get out of shape while pregnant, and shouldn't feel too bad if you've got a ways to go to get back in shape. Slow and steady wins the race.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:58 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ruthieqt
Well according to calculators, my BMR is 1520, with my activity level it is 2356. So if I am correct, decreasing by 500 a day I would be eating around 1800 calories. I aim between 1500-1800, correct???
Right, but also remember this is just a starting place. As heytred suggested you may need to reduces your calories by another 250/day for this to work for you. (I had to customize my BMR so my calorie restriction worked out correctly.)

When and how much you consume at each meal are both factors that will influence your weight loss. Try to spread your calorie intake throughout the day so you are never overloading your body with nutrients it can't immediatley store for energy. If your energy stores (a compound called glycogen) are full and you eat a large meal all those calories get stored as fat. If your glycogen stores are low, like just after exercising, then the calories are converted in to glycogen. Even if you eat just after exercising if you consume too many calories then once your glycogen is re-supplied the excess gets stored as fat.

This is why eating 5 or 6 times a day and timing your simple carbs (white bread, pasta, and sugar to name a few) to just after waking or just after exercising is recommended. Can you lose weight eating 3 times a day? Yes, I am proof I eat only 3-4 times a day. I would love to eat more but my schedule just isn't conducive.

Hope some of these ideas help!
Old 08-15-2010, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

If you're losing inches you're obviously doing something properly. Why fix it?

All I can suggest is that you're eating too many calories.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

With two young children, all this exercise, restricting calories as you are, are you getting enough sleep? Lack of sleep (and stress) can cause your body to hold on to water weight. Don't restrict your calories while you are nursing. This is the one and only time in your baby's life when you will have this experience with this baby. Make it as relaxed a time as you can. With all the exercise you are doing and with the fitness you had going in, you will be fine and by the end of the year that baby weight will be gone. I'm surprised your doctor gave you the go ahead for such an intense exercise plan so soon. You don't sound like one of those women who will use the baby as an excuse for being overweight! It sounds like you have great habits already and you will have a healthy family and be a wonderful example for your children. Babies need a happy, relaxed mother, not a hungry, tired, and stressed one. Good luck, enjoy this time, it will not come by again.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:18 AM
FitDay Member

Are you currently breastfeeding? If so, DO NOT lower your calories any lower than you are. You may actually affect your supply of milk. I was told by my doctor that the lowest you should ever go while breastfeeding is 1800 calories, which is the equivalent of a non-breastfeeding woman who is eating 1200 calories a day. If you are working out, you should eat more than that. Add 500 calories to the BMR given by Fitday if you are.

I too had a baby 7 months ago and your story sounds pretty much exactly like mine. I too was getting frustrated with the amount of time that it was taking to lose the weight, but your body is not meant to lose it this fast. I too was super active before pregnancy (and now after) but had to stop during the pregnancy as per doctor's orders. It will take a while to lose the inches and the weight but if you continue on the track you are, you should get there. It took me 5 months to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and I am now working on my last 10-15 pounds, which I am also finding difficult (finding the time to work out is difficult with a new baby, but can be done).

Good luck and congratulations on your new bundle of joy!!
Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by noelminneci
With two young children, all this exercise, restricting calories as you are, are you getting enough sleep? Lack of sleep (and stress) can cause your body to hold on to water weight. Don't restrict your calories while you are nursing. This is the one and only time in your baby's life when you will have this experience with this baby. Make it as relaxed a time as you can. With all the exercise you are doing and with the fitness you had going in, you will be fine and by the end of the year that baby weight will be gone. I'm surprised your doctor gave you the go ahead for such an intense exercise plan so soon. You don't sound like one of those women who will use the baby as an excuse for being overweight! It sounds like you have great habits already and you will have a healthy family and be a wonderful example for your children. Babies need a happy, relaxed mother, not a hungry, tired, and stressed one. Good luck, enjoy this time, it will not come by again.
Im not restricting. I beleive I am eating enough. My milk supply is great and luckily my LO is such a good baby and I get good sleep I think the problem nowadays with women having children is they use to tell them to eat extra calories and not diet.....some women take it to the extreme. With all the obesity nowadays the national breastfeeding organization doesnt recommend that anymore.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:18 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by LoopyLil
Are you currently breastfeeding? If so, DO NOT lower your calories any lower than you are. You may actually affect your supply of milk. I was told by my doctor that the lowest you should ever go while breastfeeding is 1800 calories, which is the equivalent of a non-breastfeeding woman who is eating 1200 calories a day. If you are working out, you should eat more than that. Add 500 calories to the BMR given by Fitday if you are.

I too had a baby 7 months ago and your story sounds pretty much exactly like mine. I too was getting frustrated with the amount of time that it was taking to lose the weight, but your body is not meant to lose it this fast. I too was super active before pregnancy (and now after) but had to stop during the pregnancy as per doctor's orders. It will take a while to lose the inches and the weight but if you continue on the track you are, you should get there. It took me 5 months to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and I am now working on my last 10-15 pounds, which I am also finding difficult (finding the time to work out is difficult with a new baby, but can be done).

Good luck and congratulations on your new bundle of joy!!
TY. 1800 calories is different for everyone though......ya know. I actually thought about increasing my calories by 300 to see what happens. I do workout 6 days a week.....but they are only 40 minutes though it is intense cardio. I have since just had a 2lb weight loss and I didnt track good last week (go figure) but I do think I ate more. I guess Ill just have to tweak here and there and see what works for me