Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 16
Exclamation Monsterous Appetite

I dont know what it is, but I'll watch what I eat throughout the entire day, get a diet-worthy intake of 1300 calories, then suddently lose control and ruin everything later. What can I do to prevent/help this?
linusfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4
Default

me too its the worst!
there are a few things that have helped me a little, although its still a real problem and i haven't found a magic bullet solution yet...

eating lots of protein during the day and with dinner

drinking plenty of water during the day, and heaps of herbal teas in the evening, particularly ones with liquorice root in them - it helps curb sugar cravings a bit.

distracting myself and reminding myself that the cravings will pass

making sure there are no high calorie snack foods in the house, and that there are low cal alternative snacks instead (so i don't go to the shops in a binge frenzy).

unfortunately even though i replaced everything in the house with healthy low cal alternatives i'm still binging and just eating twice as much so it ends up being just as many calories...

yeah, still looking for the magic solution, as all the above things help a little bit but not much
vivienneamillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 27
Default

Eat veggies! I like the steam fresh veggies and I add a little smart balance or promise butter and some Mrs. Dash Garlic Herb and eat the whole bag (I did this last night at dinner along with my protein and it worked). Protein and fiber are your two best friends for hunger. Make sure you get your share of complex carbs too though.

If this doesn't work, maybe talk to your doctor about taking some appetite suppressants for a little while.
__________________
****************************************
Height: 5'7"
Heaviest Weight: 321 lbs. (Feb 2008)
FitDay Starting Weight: 230 lbs. (Jan 2010)
Current Weight: 170 lbs. (1/20/10)
Tot Weight Lost: 151 lbs.
Next Goal Weight: 160 lbs. (by End of Feb 2011)
Pounds to lose: 10 lbs.
mhunter1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
almeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,742
Default

I think this is the reason most diets fail, you work so hard only to crash and burn day after day. Here's some things I've tried that seem to help:

1. Think about your hunger, is it "real" hunger or uncontrollable munchies, taking over? Real hunger builds over time and it can be held off, especially if you know approximately how long it will be until you eat again. Uncontrollable munchies are usually a symptom of a carb crash (and possibly carbaholism), so what you need to do is to avoid crashing by limiting your carb intake per sitting. A lot of people will tell you to limit (or even eliminate) "white" foods like white flour, white rice and white potatoes. We only have whole grain bread and pasta in our house and I try to limit my grain based carbs to 1 serving at breakfast and depending on my calories throughout the day, another serving with dinner. I usually go low-carb and high protein for lunch so I can avoid that after dinner carb crash.

2. Another way to avoid going overboard with the munchies is to pace yourself and eat something that takes time to eat like an orange or grapefruit, or nuts/seeds that have to be unshelled like sunflower seeds, almonds or pistachios. And while you're munching down your snack drink a big swig of water between mouthfuls.

3. Another thing I do when I feel out of control is to tell myself that I can eat whatever I want but I have to start with an apple and go 20 minutes between snacks. Usually I get that full feeling between the 2nd and 3rd snack and the munchies taper off after that. Apples are a great snack BTW and they have a lot of fiber too, which usually helps to make me feel full.
__________________
Starting weight: 244.6 lbs. 10/01/09
Pounds lost: 80.6 lbs
Current weight: 164 lbs
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 23
Default

Excellent tips! Thx!



Quote:
Originally Posted by almeeker View Post
I think this is the reason most diets fail, you work so hard only to crash and burn day after day. Here's some things I've tried that seem to help:

1. Think about your hunger, is it "real" hunger or uncontrollable munchies, taking over? Real hunger builds over time and it can be held off, especially if you know approximately how long it will be until you eat again. Uncontrollable munchies are usually a symptom of a carb crash (and possibly carbaholism), so what you need to do is to avoid crashing by limiting your carb intake per sitting. A lot of people will tell you to limit (or even eliminate) "white" foods like white flour, white rice and white potatoes. We only have whole grain bread and pasta in our house and I try to limit my grain based carbs to 1 serving at breakfast and depending on my calories throughout the day, another serving with dinner. I usually go low-carb and high protein for lunch so I can avoid that after dinner carb crash.

2. Another way to avoid going overboard with the munchies is to pace yourself and eat something that takes time to eat like an orange or grapefruit, or nuts/seeds that have to be unshelled like sunflower seeds, almonds or pistachios. And while you're munching down your snack drink a big swig of water between mouthfuls.

3. Another thing I do when I feel out of control is to tell myself that I can eat whatever I want but I have to start with an apple and go 20 minutes between snacks. Usually I get that full feeling between the 2nd and 3rd snack and the munchies taper off after that. Apples are a great snack BTW and they have a lot of fiber too, which usually helps to make me feel full.
aarany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 965
Default

almeeker,
Great advice!

I have a theory (I have no scientific proof other than my own experience) that some people have a tough time with hunger because they are following a low fat diet. I keep unroasted almonds for a crutch, because their fat content helps satiate my hunger. I can eat 10 and satisfy my cravings.

I believe, like almeeker stated, that simple carbs can create that carb crash and your body starts telling you it is missing something. This weekend I was at my oldest son's house helping him with some car work and it went over lunch. We had pizza for lunch. I ate two pieces, but the worst part was the crash I experience later in the afternoon. I couldn't even stay awake. I ate a protein bar and that helped me out of my crash.
__________________
Ron

Male, Age 53 Height 5'-11"
Start, Spring 2009....,.. 270.0 lbs
January 21, 2010. ....,...255.0 lbs (Joined Fitday)
September 10, 2010..,..223.8 lbs. (-46.2lbs)
Mini-Goal......................225 Achieved 9/21/2012
Mini-Goal......................220 Achieved 10/26/2012
Current.........................216.2 lbs. (-53.8 lbs)
Mini-Goal.......................215
Goal..............................200



My log: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/Public...Owner=rpmcduff
rpmcduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
almeeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,742
Default

I LOVE almonds, but 10 never feels like quite enough. I have to be very careful with nuts, because I will literally eat the whole can/bag/box whatever and not even realize it. So to use them for a snack, I count them out, and then hide the nuts in the far back of the cupboard and drink a swig of water between each bite.

You might be right about the low fat, my diet has been low fat for so long I sometimes have trouble adding in more. When my fat percentage looks too low I usually opt for a deviled egg (or 2) or maybe an ounce of cheese.

I LOVE pizza too, but I always keep in mind that is has about 300 calories/slice, more if it has double meat or cheese (heaven forbid BOTH!), and it's going to give you a hard crash later. The last time I had pizza I got up in the middle of the night with the worst case of munchies. So I've been trying to avoid pizza, or make homemade versions that are lower fat, calories and carbs.
__________________
Starting weight: 244.6 lbs. 10/01/09
Pounds lost: 80.6 lbs
Current weight: 164 lbs
Goal weight: 120 lbs
Weight to go: 44 lbs
Goal Date: 1/1/13

Last edited by almeeker; 08-10-2010 at 10:57 AM.
almeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
mecompco's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almeeker View Post
I LOVE pizza too, but I always keep in mind that is has about 300 calories/slice, more if it has double meat or cheese (heaven forbid BOTH!), and it's going to give you a hard crash later. The last time I had pizza I got up in the middle of the night with the worst case of munchies. So I've been trying to avoid pizza, or make homemade versions that are lower fat, calories and carbs.
I love pizza and could probably live on it. Here's what I do:

Whole wheat pita
.25 cup Ragu pizza sauce
.25 cup part skim Mozzarella
top with mushrooms or onions or black olives or jalapenos (or nothing)
cook in preheated toaster oven using pizza stone for 15 minutes
Yum!

Around 400 cals or so and fairly low fat--add a salad and a couple glasses of water and it makes a great supper.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
FitDay Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Adirondacks
Posts: 199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by almeeker View Post
I LOVE almonds, but 10 never feels like quite enough.
My hubby brought home some roasted almonds that were in 100 calorie packs. They are the perfect size to just take the edge off hunger and I don't have to worry about overdoing it by having a larger bag/jar accessible. Maybe give those a try almeeker. =)
__________________
Highest Weight: 294 (11/10/2006)
Starting Weight: 265 (08/01/2010)
Current Weight: 235
Pounds Lost: 30 lbs. (Total: -59 lbs.)
Mini-Goal: 225 (by 1/31/2011)
Ultimate Goal: 140 (by 12/31/2011)

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...smooshmcsmeesh
smooshmcsmeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
Kathy13118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,153
Smile Pace.

It's been shown that eating slowly tames appetite.

That is, eat a bite, then stop. Wait, even if it's 30 seconds (which may seem like a long, long time) and then take the next bite. Continue to do that until you have eaten the serving.

The idea is that it takes awhile for the feeling of satiety to register, even at the level of 'a bite,' let alone 'a portion.'

I really, really believe this works. Can I do it? No. Not unless I am eating alone or eating in a group where everyone is talking, including me.
Kathy13118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
appetite, appetite suppression, binge, diet, healthy snacks, weight loss tips

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2