Notices

Any other vegans out there?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:02 AM
FitDay Member

Question Any other vegans out there?

any other vegans out there? got any vegan weight loss tips?
Old 12-18-2011, 02:03 PM
FitDay Member

*waves madly*

So I know this post was from foreverago--I only found it via that Tag Cloud thingy, BUT I'm super excited that another vegan exists here. I've seen a few posts about people turning towards veganism as part of one fad diet or another, but none yet that are from people who are already vegan. (Or maybe I'm misreading/misinterpreting the posts I've seen--I certainly am not aiming to offend or exclude here.)

So I guess I'll just second this call for now--any other vegans? Any recipes/support/solidarity on this front?

--Torre
Old 12-18-2011, 04:15 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by edahlt
*waves madly*

So I know this post was from foreverago--I only found it via that Tag Cloud thingy, BUT I'm super excited that another vegan exists here. I've seen a few posts about people turning towards veganism as part of one fad diet or another, but none yet that are from people who are already vegan. (Or maybe I'm misreading/misinterpreting the posts I've seen--I certainly am not aiming to offend or exclude here.)

So I guess I'll just second this call for now--any other vegans? Any recipes/support/solidarity on this front?

--Torre

+1 for the 'Tag Cloud thingy'. *Smiles largely*

Oh I'm sure you'll find at least a few active members that are vegans. You could start your own Vegan thread if you want. There's no recent activity under "Diets" for Vegans, so starting a new thread is perfectly acceptable and encouraged.

Also, there will also be a lot of new members here in just a few short weeks. "New Year's Resolution" thing, ya know.

Welcome to FitDay, Torre!

Last edited by VitoVino; 12-19-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:27 AM
FitDay Member

I am what I call "85% vegan", meaning that I'll occasionally eat some meat or seafood, and rarely some dairy products.

Some weight loss tips... I'd have to say that a key is eating diverse foods, to make sure you get all your nutrients that you need. Unlike meat, most plant-based nutrients are spread out over foods, so it's important to eat diverse foods, and make sure you're getting all your essential amino acids. I'd also say, remember that even though vegan is healthier, it doesn't mean less calories. Fritos are vegan. Bread is vegan. Olive oil is vegan. Just make sure you're eating the right kinds of foods, and the right amounts.

Good luck! :-)
Old 12-29-2011, 01:54 AM
FitDay Member

Because of medical issues I have had to go to a vegetarian lifestyle way of eating and thought I'd let those who would be interested to know about the book my son got me for Christmas called The Vegetarian Way by Virginia Messina,MPH,RD and Mark Messina, PhD.

I have found it very informative and hope you do also.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:21 AM
FitDay Member

Hi. I'm a vegan for many reasons, not least of which is health, and I'm also losing weight. This is my first post on a fitday forum, and I think I'd enjoy participating in a vegan "support" thread here on fitday. When I get time this weekend I might start one, unless someone else gets one established sooner. Either way, I'm "in". ;-)
Old 02-04-2012, 11:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default Not vegan, but am interested in more information.

I'm "popping" this thread up so as to possibly get more response.

I'm not vegan, but am interested in more information.
I may start another thread.

coolit55~ Welcome to FitDay.

Sidenote: (Vito - if you happen to see this, I also used the "cloud" tag. You provided info about cloud tags when you 1st welcomed me.)

Last edited by fit4luv; 02-04-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:33 PM
FitDay Member

Default On and Off

I went vegan about 4 years ago and lost a dramatic amount of weight as well as lowering my cholesterol significantly. Unfortunately my work situation changed, I had to travel and I ate what was readily available.
Both for the animals and for my own health, I would prefer to maintain a vegan diet. My husband has seen how it affected me before and would like to do the same.
I'm wondering- unless you are eating falafel or lots of nuts, how do you eat enough calories to struggle with your weight on a vegan diet? I'm not being judgmental or doubting you, but I found that the volume of water and fiber I consumed made it hard to eat *enough* calories.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:47 AM
FitDay Member

I am not vegan but one of my close friends is I am not sure how long you ate vegan but their is a lot of foods you can eat including tons of junk food.
Almost all candy is vegan
Many potato chips
cookies
donuts
melba toast
granola bars
pretzels
I could go on and on but any eating plan has good and poor choices I eat mostly organic and whole foods and I still managed to put 30 of my 70lbs I lost back on. Trust me organic ice cream with pure dark chocolate is very tasty and calorie laden. Enough nuts and avocado's with whole grain chips will take my total calorie allotment for the day.

Last edited by dar n; 02-05-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:07 AM
FitDay Member

I have found since going almost vegan/vegetarian way of eating that it is not necessarily the healthiest way of eating as most recipes do not omit sugar.salt and includes alot of carbs(pasta-potatoes-rice etc.)
Since I had to go on this lifestyle way of eating due to severe medical reasons I found I have to alter alot of the recipes.

So I am eating more of a vegetable-vegan/vegetarian diet which consists more of the fresh veggies and fruits no sodium or sugar and use veggie protein options it has greatly improved my condition and will be a lifestyle way of eating for me as I can not eat the way I use to or my health issues will worsen.

I have found alot of meals I enjoy and it isn't that hard to tweek them to fit my needs.
If anyone is interested in some recipes I have tried please ask.

I have lost from 234 lbs (July 2011) to 163 lbs (today) goal is to get to 140 lbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.