Notices

Take a look at my food log give opinions

Old 08-06-2010, 05:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Take a look at my food log give opinions

Just wanted to throw this out to all. I started on July 11th and feel I am on course. Havent really been getting a lot of weight loss results since initial spike. Would like your opinion on my food choices percentages of fat carbs etc. not trying to hurry this thing up want to get lasting results though.

Here is my public food and activity log.
Thanks
Age 50
5'10
male
weight goal 196 by end november

Started July 11th 230 lbs
today Aug 6th 221.2 lbs

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...er=justawalker

Last edited by justawalker; 08-06-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:43 AM
FitDay Member

If you want good advice, you might want to give a little more info about yourself, like age, gender, height, weight goal etc.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
If you want good advice, you might want to give a little more info about yourself, like age, gender, height, weight goal etc.
edited post with more stats thanks
Old 08-06-2010, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

Ah, thank you. When I opened your log I was like waahhhh, justawalker needs to be justarunning if she's eating that many calories everyday, but then I realized that maybe you are not a woman. Looks like you might be into bodybuilding or at least doing some serious toning with the nlarge in your log. What is that stuff exactly? Looks like a protein supplement of some sort, but it doesn't seem to have much in terms of nutritional value, or did you leave that part of the info off the custom food? Just curious, DH has been urging me to find a different protein powder, the one I like is a little too pricey for his taste.

What's your starting weight? Never mind, see it now.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

Ah, thank you. When I opened your log I was like waahhhh, justawalker needs to be justarunning if she's eating that many calories everyday, but then I realized that maybe you are not a woman. Looks like you might be into bodybuilding or at least doing some serious toning with the nlarge in your log. What is that stuff exactly? Looks like a protein supplement of some sort, but it doesn't seem to have much in terms of nutritional value, or did you leave that part of the info off the custom food? Just curious, DH has been urging me to find a different protein powder, the one I like is a little too pricey for his taste.

What's your starting weight? Never mind, see it now.
I left the nutrition part out. Anyway dropped nlarge from my diet too much sugar. I have another whey protien I am using that is on its way.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 AM
FitDay Member

You eat almost exactly the same foods I eat! If you took away the bread, that could be mine.

I'm afraid I can't offer any advice though, other than to say that I personally think that looks like sensible eating (of course). You're keeping your protein pretty high, which I understand is good to avoid losing muscle. I'm keeping my calories a little lower and not losing anything, but I'm female and quite a bit smaller, so that's understandable.

I'm inclined to suggest you keep doing what you're doing. It's not unusual for people to lose a relatively large amount of weight the first week as the body adjusts to a new eating pattern, but it's often mostly water. It seems like what you're doing ought to give you about a pound per week fat loss, which puts you right on track.

If you aren't losing anything at all, then I'd love to know why, because I've got the same problem.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

Okay, he's my 2 cents for what it's worth. I don't see a lot of veg in that food log so you might want to swap out something and get a pile of green leafies in there more often, and have you thought about adding some cardio into that workout regimen? I hate cardio myself, but it burns calories like mad and it's really great for your heart (and no offense, but at your age you need to start considering these things). And I say that as a 40-something year old woman with a heart condition from a family with a history of heart disease.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

Okay, he's my 2 cents for what it's worth. I don't see a lot of veg in that food log so you might want to swap out something and get a pile of green leafies in there more often, and have you thought about adding some cardio into that workout regimen? I hate cardio myself, but it burns calories like mad and it's really great for your heart (and no offense, but at your age you need to start considering these things). And I say that as a 40-something year old woman with a heart condition from a family with a history of heart disease.
Almeeker If you go back I did and hour on July 31st, Aug 1,3,and 5 so 4 days this week I did an hour Cardio out of 7. I basically do 1 hour every other day...
Old 08-06-2010, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

You might be low in dietary fat. As a man try and get at least 30% of your calories from fat, good fats.

They are important for producing testosterone, which is a key component of building muscle and losing body fat.

And alcohol, is probably whats holding you back the most. Alcohol slows protein synthesis, dehydrates you, dumps your vitamins, and lowers testosterone production. Alcohol calories must be burned off before food calories and slow digestion.

Basically alcohol is putting your body in a poor state to be building muscle and losing weight, so try and limit your drinking. This is probably not what you wanted to hear but its the truth.

Edit:

Also, I noticed you have a similar starting weight as I did. I started at 225 on july 6th today is aug 6th and I weigh in at 214 but I have also lost considerable inches (body recomposition!) I started off with getting about 2100 calories then I upped it to 2200 and then 2300-2400, at 2300-2400 I feel very comfortable and energized, I don't battle hunger and I lose weight at the rate of my goal which is 1.9 pounds a week. Its about a 950 calorie deficit, which is plenty and actually on the high end of "safe." I still get about .8-1g protein/lb of bodyweight and most of the RDA for nutrients, so I know I am adequately fueling recovery.

I am only 23 so my base metabolism is higher, but still 1500-1800 calories is probably low for you, use the goal weight tool and set a reasonable goal date, the slower the weight comes off the healthier and more permanent it will be.

I noticed you were getting 2-3 beers a day, thats probably whats killing your weight loss, and muscle growth. Take a look at this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUpzAw674Hw the voice over sucks but the info is solid.

Last edited by midwestj; 08-06-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:29 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by midwestj
You might be low in dietary fat. As a man try and get at least 30% of your calories from fat, good fats.

They are important for producing testosterone, which is a key component of building muscle and losing body fat.

And alcohol, is probably whats holding you back the most. Alcohol slows protein synthesis, dehydrates you, dumps your vitamins, and lowers testosterone production. Alcohol calories must be burned off before food calories and slow digestion.

Basically alcohol is putting your body in a poor state to be building muscle and losing weight, so try and limit your drinking. This is probably not what you wanted to hear but its the truth.
No good that is what I am looking for opinions. I will try to get more Avocado,nuts olive oil. I thought that the couple beers a night might not be a big deal but will try to cut them out for a while and see what happens. makes since.
Anyone else have an opinion or experience on moderate alcohol consumption sabitaging your weight loss efforts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.