3500 calories to a pound >

3500 calories to a pound

Community
Notices

3500 calories to a pound

Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by stocky1
Well, it can take 3 days or more to release the water. Not sure exactly why and it varies from person to person. Sometimes what happens is people eat salty food frequently so, they may be dumping water and picking up new water right afterward so you don't notice any weight change.

The best way to get rid of it is to flush it out by drinking water. The same thing happens with carbs. If you've been eating relatively low carb (intentionally or not) over a few days and then have a plate of pasta one day you will no doubt see an increase in weight the next day. This is because carbs often are turned into muscle glycogen and glycogen holds water in the muscle. Now, when you exercise and particularly lift weights, gylcogen is burned and the water flushes out.

What I mean by over estimating is that Fitday is just estimating the calories of a lot of items. Lets say you are eating pasta and Fitday says 200 calories per serving. Perhaps the box for the item says 250. Chances are the box is more right. The Fitday nutrition info is just the average for that item,it may be more or less depending on brand and variety. I always enter what the box says if it differs from fitday.

Most often a weight gain while being on diet (no cheat) is attributed to carbs and sodium. However, over a few days you should flush out the extra water.
OK, that makes a lot of sense. On those few days I "messed up" I definitely upped my carbs. I normally try to stay under 150 (if not under 100) and on those days got close to 250-300.

as for fitday, I only use it on food when I absolutely have to. I hate not being certain of what I'm eating so I only use it if matches what I've found on CalorieKing.com and I couldn't find a label (as in average brand chicken).

I'm pulling out the water bottle now because my weigh in is tomorrow and right now it is not looking to pretty.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:21 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Michellebelle_05
OK, that makes a lot of sense. On those few days I "messed up" I definitely upped my carbs. I normally try to stay under 150 (if not under 100) and on those days got close to 250-300.

as for fitday, I only use it on food when I absolutely have to. I hate not being certain of what I'm eating so I only use it if matches what I've found on CalorieKing.com and I couldn't find a label (as in average brand chicken).

I'm pulling out the water bottle now because my weigh in is tomorrow and right now it is not looking to pretty.
To be honest, since you are female you have a lot of things stacked against you when talking about losing weight. Less muscle mass, more potential water weight and other things. I really have a lot of respect for the ladies because for us guys the weight loss thing tends to go a lot easier.

Carbs are not bad, as long as you don't eat too many calories they won't make you fat but they do tend to mess with water retention. Particularly if you are normally around 100 or less and suddenly double or triple that.