FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Always eating... (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/160-always-eating.html)

deblgallagher 01-15-2010 02:26 AM

Always eating...

HI everyone!

So since Im trying to lose weight Ive read and talk to alot of people about this and opinions vary. So Im looking to you guys for advice. Ever since I could remember Ive always snacked and eaten about every 2-3 hours. I seem to always get hungry no matter what I had eaten or how much Ive eaten. My friends back in high school used to be envious because I wouldnt gain any weight. I was told I have a high metablism. Now fast forward to after I have my second kid. During that preganacy I put on alot of weight and didnt lose it afterwards. I havent gained any since which was 8 years ago but I also havent lost any. My eating habits are about the same execpt Im chosing better foods to eat now besides junk like I used to. My question is, is eating small meals all day okay? I cant seem to not eat every 3 hours at least. I move around alot at work, being an Inventory Manager so I burn up alot of what I eat. Ive also cut down on soda intake and have been drinking more water. Any advice on this would be great!

Debbie :D

LauraJo9 01-15-2010 05:59 AM

Have you had your blood sugar tested? My husband also has high metabolism but he also has low blood sugar so needs to eat every 2-3 hours. This might not have anything to do with you, but it's good to check.

I think eating that frequently is fine, as long as you're eating well. Snacking on raisins, pretzels, fruit, and such is healthy and shouldn't throw you off your calorie/fat allottment for the day.

DEVINELADY 01-16-2010 05:29 AM

I eat every 2 - 3 hours. I am told it is better to eat 6 small meals as it keeps your metabolism going. Of course like everything else it depends on what you are eating. And I am as guilty as the next person and making unhealthy food choices like that bag of chips in the middle of the afternoon.

jmswanny 01-19-2010 12:22 AM

the simple way it works: eat 6 times per day, no matter what. breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks in between each. if you want to lose weight, eat smaller meals/snacks. if you're having trouble with that, plan you're meals for the week and go to the store after youve eaten and get snack foods like trail mix, yogurts, and pbjs (that's what i use). if you find yourself getting bored and going to eat, go for a walk instead of on the computer or get involved in a yoga class. the hardest part is getting used to it, but after awhile, you'll be used to eating less and less and more healthy and on your way :D

KristieJean 01-20-2010 10:45 AM

I have a problem with always being hungry and have started eating full bars (chocolate flavored. haha) they help a ton! also stay as busy as you can. I started with the bars last week as part of my diet. and went from 223-216. i found them at walmart and its really helped me as a past binge eater.

jmswanny 01-21-2010 01:25 AM

Another thing i forgot to mention is that you can also drink a protein shake in between meals. they are semi healthy (compared to fast food/junk food), will keep you more full in between meals and a means for thinking about what you eat for your meals.

fkerekes 01-23-2010 10:21 PM

I'd say cut out all sugar and refined carbs. Once you've settled into low carb mode (this is the hardest part), the experience of hunger changes completely. Without swings in blood glucose, and with cellular adaptation towards fatty acid metabolism, the 'sick' sort of hunger that most people think of as hunger goes away. I find that I can arbitrarily fast for up to 18 hours with no discomfort whatsoever. That was never the case before I stopped eating sugar and grains.

Replace those calories with saturated and monounsaturated fats (i.e. heavy cream or half-and-half instead of milk, eggs fried in butter or bacon fat instead of vegetable oil, plenty of olive oil-based dressings, avocados), and you won't believe the difference.

Shell250 01-24-2010 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by fkerekes (Post 1652)
I'd say cut out all sugar and refined carbs. Once you've settled into low carb mode (this is the hardest part), the experience of hunger changes completely. Without swings in blood glucose, and with cellular adaptation towards fatty acid metabolism, the 'sick' sort of hunger that most people think of as hunger goes away. I find that I can arbitrarily fast for up to 18 hours with no discomfort whatsoever. That was never the case before I stopped eating sugar and grains.

Replace those calories with saturated and monounsaturated fats (i.e. heavy cream or half-and-half instead of milk, eggs fried in butter or bacon fat instead of vegetable oil, plenty of olive oil-based dressings, avocados), and you won't believe the difference.

Interesting Fkerekes. Thanks for posting that, it makes alot of sense. Over the past few weeks I have cut way back on my sugar and even moreso on my carbs (I used to eat alot of carbs..), and noticed a difference already in that 'hungry' feeling. I feel more satisfied by adding a higher amount of protein to my diet.