Notices

Help with everything

Old 07-18-2010, 03:33 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Help with everything

I am an 18 year old, about 160 pounds, hoping to get under 150 or 145. I dont consider myself hugely overweight, but my father and cross country coach pointed out how much i have gained since the end of the sports season. I completely changed what i ate, no more Kwik Trip meals and no more fast food. And the amount of food i am eating is so much less. I started the beginning of the summer around 167. I keep weighing myself and it seems like i am gonig back up. I get down to about 158.5 in one morning but then 2 days after, i am 161 pounds. It feels bad.
Am i really gaining weight?

I am running 4-8 miles a day 5 days a week. Is there an accurate way to weight myself consistently?

I would also like to know about metabolism. I used to eat an amazing amount of food. How exactly does metabolism work?

How can i stay full but still lose weight.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:19 AM
FitDay Member

With all that exercise, you probably need to make sure you're getting enough protein. When you log your food intake scroll down and look at the calorie pie chart. Opinions vary on what the "optimal" percentage of proteins is, but many of us who are trying to lose weight try to get to 40% carbs, 40% proteins and 20% fats. Although 50% carbs, 30% proteins and 20% fats is also widely used, and others use 50% carbs, 25% proteins and 25% fats. Since everybody is a little different it makes sense that one answer does not fit all. You probably need to experiment a little and see what works for you.

You may also want to look into some sort of protein snack or supplement to use immediately following your workout. That typically is the best time to feed your tired muscles. I usually follow my workouts with a high protein, low fat, low calorie breakfast. Although on the evenings I go to the gym I usually follow it with a protein shake, so that I don't eat a ton of calories right before bed.

Weight does fluctuate throughout the day, for the most accurate check, you should weigh yourself at the same time of day. I weigh myself in the morning, before I eat or drink anything and right after I pee. Weight also fluctuates from water retention, dehydration and how often you um, poo. So if your weight is up, give some thought as to when you last had enough water and when you last sat down for some QT on the johnny. Women also can count on weight fluctuations right around the time that Aunt Flo visits...

I'm guessing that you used to eat an amazing amount of food during the cross country season? Well, weight is determined by caloric intake - calories burned + time. So during the cross country season you were burning an amazing amount of calories during both practice and competition, so you could eat an amazing amount of calories, now that school is out your activity level has changed, whereas your appetite has not. So the answer for you is to either cut back on the calories or up the workout, or both.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:21 AM
FitDay Member

Snow puddles: there are a couple things you may want to think about when it comes to factors affecting your weight. this is going to be kinda long...

1. how much are you eating? if you were to track your calorie intake how much are you coming out with....you may be taking more than you think OR taking in LESS and i mean way less than you think. I personally struggled with this when I was in my teens...the whole eat less to lose weight concept really failed me and although I worked out like crazy, i gained weight because i was eating a lot less than my what i needed to lose...

I'm still learning about metabolism myself, Here's the little info I know about metabolism...
A) you shouldn't eat below your metabolism when dropping calories (so if you calculate your BMR and you get 1300 or whatever, then you need to eat at a MINIMUM that or above HOWEVER

when you're as active as you are your Daily Calorie Expenditure (this is your BMR + lifestyle activities + intentional physical activity) should be higher. So say that you're BMR is 1650 + another 400 for lifestyle activities (i.e. attending school, chores, errands, work, etc) + 500 burned during each session of your run = 2550 to lose a 1 lb a week - 500 (2050) or lose 1.75-2 lb a week -800 (1750). Try not to create deficit larger than 1000 continuously as it may cause you to lose muscle mass, every once in a while or once a week shouldn't do much damage.

When you determine how much you need to eat to lose, i suggest varying your choice of food each day if possible and how much you eat (so say one day you eat 1650, next day eat 2000, next day eat 1700, etc) and also varying your workout a bit too. I'm not sure if doing 5 miles one day and 8 the next may be enough of a variation as your using the same muscles? however including some other form of cardio into that routine and the sugg. on the diet would keep your metabolism confused...the same routine after a while allows your body to create an adaption so you're no longer challenging the body and that when you plateau and stop losing weight or seeing effects from your exercise/eating....<this is the part that I'm still working to understand in detail, so if you come across something, you should post it>

Plugging your info into fitday may be helpful (in terms of how much you burn) and if fitday doesn't aide in finding the foods you eat, track it by manually writing it down or using other online programs

FYI: when you calculate your BMR on fitday I would suggest using the Mifflin...it took me a while to finally realize that its' the most accurate or closer than Harris Benedict...I'm not sure how other's have done it.

2. similar to the previous response; running is weight bearing and perhaps you be gaining some muscles. I used to run about that much 5 days a week 5-8 miles per day and only worked out my upper body strength...and I felt firm...like lean firm.

3. in terms of a device that you can use to accurately weigh yourself, I would suggest a digital scale...with the function of a fat % /water/body mass. While these may not be accurate to the T, they can still tell you when you have more water weight, vs. more muscle %, you get the idea?
Here's one that I own: Full Body Sensing Body Composition Monitor and Scale with Seven Fitness Indicators - Bed Bath & Beyond
it's a bit more than most people want to pay for a scale but I like it. and if you go here you can print out a 20% coupon Bed Bath and Beyond Coupons - Find Online Coupons & Discount Codes for Bed Bath and Beyond

or if you have a bed bath and beyond store close by you, they display these sometimes so you could go in there like...once a week and weigh yourself :~)

4. How are your clothes fitting? are they looser? tighter? good indicator of weight loss. When I start doing any type of weight bearing activity, I start to feel bulky/swollen im pretty short so it's not a feeling I like, but then when I put on my clothes and all is well...it's encouraging.

I hope other's continue to post informative feedback on here for you...in the mean time, research your question and you'd be surprised what you can learn and share with others...

Last edited by DecemberBlue; 07-18-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 AM
FitDay Member

Snowpuddles, It's great that you are looking to stay healthy! I can't answer your last question, because I have no idea. Also, the previous posters had great advice!

I just want to tell you that you are likely not gaining weight. In fact, if you were comfortable with how you looked when you were running, use that as your gauge. How do your clothes feel? Last week I weighed myself on Monday. I weighed 131.6 lb. I weighed myself 2 days later at the same time of day at I weighed 136 lb. Today I weighed 133.4 lb. I can fluctuate 5 lb in a day. It is completely normal! I find if I eat a lot of salty foods my weight goes up by about 5 lb and it takes a few days to come back down. If I eat as much fibre as I am supposed to, my weight is a lot more stable.

You may want to weigh yourself once a week too. It levels out the day to day fluctuations. Remember, it takes a long time to lose weight so don't get discouraged by your day to day numbers, think long term! I've lost 20 lb in 7 months.

Good luck!