Community
Notices

Extended cardio?

Old 11-19-2016, 05:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default Extended cardio?

Recently had a wrist injury and I gained 31lbs while on the Prednisone. As soon as I could take my wrist out of the splint I joined a gym desperate to loose this weight ASAP! I cannot fit into my clothes and it feels like it is suffocating me when I lay down. Given the fact that my wrist is still recovering I cannot do alot of work with free weights so I really need to rely on cardio more to work this off, but many experts I have been reading online say not to do cardio for more then an hour because your body starts to break down muscle which is counterproductive. Is there any way I can extend my cardio to 2-3 hours without negative side effects? One hour a day cardio even at 75-85% MHR is not making much of a dent in this stubborn fat. Anybody have any suggestions?
Other information.
36 years old, 5'6" 217lbs, cannot calorie restrict diet or do "fasting cardio" due to hypoglycemia.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

The only suggestion I have is to see a registered dietitian (your doctor can give you a referral) if you are relying only on exercise to lose weight. It will make your goals that much clearer and you will feel better!
Old 11-23-2016, 08:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kachok1980
Recently had a wrist injury and I gained 31lbs while on the Prednisone. As soon as I could take my wrist out of the splint I joined a gym desperate to loose this weight ASAP! I cannot fit into my clothes and it feels like it is suffocating me when I lay down. Given the fact that my wrist is still recovering I cannot do alot of work with free weights so I really need to rely on cardio more to work this off, but many experts I have been reading online say not to do cardio for more then an hour because your body starts to break down muscle which is counterproductive. Is there any way I can extend my cardio to 2-3 hours without negative side effects? One hour a day cardio even at 75-85% MHR is not making much of a dent in this stubborn fat. Anybody have any suggestions?
Other information.
36 years old, 5'6" 217lbs, cannot calorie restrict diet or do "fasting cardio" due to hypoglycemia.
If you are off the medication that made you gain weight, give yourself a few weeks for the effects to wear off and for the metabolism return to normal state.

If you can do sauna with your condition, do sauna (ask your doctor, for sure). Add a couple of long walks in your day if you are able to with your schedule. Restrict high HR exercise as recommended. Walk through water if you have access to the pool. Try drinking simple stuff like bone broth, dandelion tea and lemon water, while trying to avoid caffeine.

Hope some of these suggestions help.

Last edited by Ruvvoy; 11-23-2016 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:46 AM
FitDay Member

When medication affects your weight, you need to keep it monitored by your qualified health professional. In the meantime, try to maintain as healthy an eating pattern as possible. Juicing can help to keep the nutrition level high.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:20 AM
FitDay Member

Well, everything cannot happen quickly. Give some time to your body to get adjusted. Overdoing of anything will surely harm.