FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   Going to college and I don't want a freshman 15 (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/1457-going-college-i-dont-want-freshman-15-a.html)

Michellebelle_05 07-02-2010 06:58 PM

Going to college and I don't want a freshman 15

Hey there. My weight has been fluctuating drastically for about two years now. Last year I went from 185(jan) to 175(june) to 168(july) to 177(aug) to 164(dec) to 193(now). I really want to get myself back on track. My goal is 150, but I will be satisfied with 160's... (I'm 18, female, and 5'8)
I'm really worried that as soon as I start to get on track this summer (which will be difficult because I work odd hours at sonic =/) that it will just all go to waste as soon as I start college. I'm young and am tired of these weight battles. Is there any advice y'all could give me?

almeeker 07-03-2010 01:11 AM

The key to maintaining a healthy weight is to have healthy habits. Do you eat the food at Sonic? Cutting down on fast food is a great start to developing healthy eating habits. Do you have a regular workout schedule? Routine exercise is another healthy habit. Usually colleges have workout facilities that are free for the students to use, and they generally also have IM team sports, which is a great way to meet people you can work out with. Do you get enough sleep? Which I know is very hard for college students. Do you drink enough water? This should be easier for a college student than any other habit, so keep your water bottle handy and reach for that instead of junk munchies, when your up late studying. Another good habit is to know what a "serving size" looks like. You can practice with measuring cups and cereal and/or water, and train yourself to have a fairly accurate "eyeball".

One of my own healthy habits is to steer clear of foods that contain ingredients I can't identify, and/or couldn't make or find myself. But that is only a good rule when you buy your own groceries. Which wasn't the case when I was living in the dorm, so I made other rules for the cafe buffet line, I wouldn't eat anything swimming in butter, grease or gravy, anything coated with breading and deep fried, meat products cut into geometric patterns (square fish, round chicken patties, cylindrical sausage patties), etc etc. Since I couldn't read the ingredient labels it was sort of an easy way to stay out of foods that were over processed and laden with hidden fats and calories.

And I hate to point this out but at 5'-8" isn't a healthy weight around 180 lbs for you? I'm a lot shorter, so I may be off base with that, but you might want to verify your goal with a doctor or nutritionist before you make the effort to lose 30-40 lbs., only to find yourself underweight and sickly.

GameGal 07-03-2010 02:57 AM

According to the charts for ideal weight.. at her age and height there is a large range, which depending on your body type ( muscular, petite, large boned) are all a healthy weight. It ranges from 125 to 164. Most people felt 140 is ideal ( according to ther charts).

In addition to what almeeker suggested, be sure to get your veggies in each day ( 5 servings!) and if you have a small fridge, try to keep /eat mostly fresh ones. As Almeeker said, the less processed, the closer to the natural state things are, the healthier they are.

If you are drinking soda ( even diet soda ) stop!! Even with diet, your body eventually believes it is sugar and stops weight loss. I was a devoted diet soda drinker for years and years. I never drank water. Had convinced myself I would gag if I had to drink it.. so never did. But recently, I found ( at walmart) something called Sam's Clear American. It is a sparkling water beverage .. not just water based... and is naturally flavored. No sugar, no calories, no nothing.. and I love the peach flavor. It tastes just like a peach. There are many flavors and the best thing is.. its much cheaper than buying soda. And you get your water requirements met.

You might also post a small note on the bullitin board asking if anyone there would be interested in partnering up to walk or workout or swim (if the college has a pool) together and keep each other motivated and accountable.

Good luck to you :)

Michellebelle_05 07-04-2010 02:24 AM

Thank y'all so much for the help... It was great advice =D

iceland77 07-04-2010 04:22 AM

beware of ramen!

Michellebelle_05,

I didn't gain the freshman 15 because I had a meal card at my dining hall. It was absolutely wonderful and I was psyched. However, I did gain the sophomore 20. haha. I moved out into my own apt sophomore year and was trying to budget my money a little better. So, I ended up buying a ton of ramen (10 packs for $1 = 10 meals) and drank free beer, with horrible results (20lb gain!). Eeeks! Granted, I lost the weight junior year when I realized what I did to myself.

My advice to you is to use a meal card for your dining facility and eat smart. The meal cards can be pricey, but when you figure out the cost/per meal ratio (and factor in the undetermined happiness of weight stabilization/loss), it's all worth it.

Also, don't live on ramen and beer like I did. :)

PS Good luck, and have fun!

Michellebelle_05 07-04-2010 07:47 AM

Haha alright so the basics=
No to Soda (which I rarely drink anyways)
No to beer (and other alcohol I'm assuming)
No to cheap ramon (Which will be hard)
Yes to working out at the rec
Yes to the meal man
Yes to common sense

Sounds good =D

fletch8502 07-06-2010 01:07 AM

Just wanted to let you know that it IS possible to avoid the Freshman 15... I actually LOST 30 pounds in my Freshman year of college! (Gained it back after college, but that's another story!)

I think another important key to success is letting your roommates/friends know what your goals are and having them help you along the way. Encourage them to be healthy with you, and maybe they won't encourage that late night pizza for them or for you! So much about eating and drinking in college is social...surround yourself with like-minded people who want to eat right and exercise and you'll do well! Best of luck, and have fun! College really can be some of the best years of your life!!!

almeeker 07-06-2010 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by GameGal (Post 14999)
According to the charts for ideal weight.. at her age and height there is a large range, which depending on your body type ( muscular, petite, large boned) are all a healthy weight. It ranges from 125 to 164. Most people felt 140 is ideal ( according to ther charts).

I was going off the 5'-0" = 100lbs + 10lbs/inch in height, but that is just a ballpark thing. I have a really good friend that is 6'-0", she weighs 200 pounds and looks absolutely fantastic, but you're right every body type is a little different and I'm 6" shorter.

Luckygir15 07-06-2010 03:35 AM

When I went to college I actually LOST weight.

Are you going to a big school?

If so, always walk to and from class etc. That 20 minute power walk to and from will add up FAST I promise! Try not to take the bus at all...Walk, walk, walk....better yet, don't even bring a car, this will force you to make friends with kids who do have cars or you will have to walk.

I wouldn't give up on the beer aspect of college, just be aware of what your doing and keep a food log. Having fun and partying....Ohh I miss those days!

Michellebelle_05 07-06-2010 03:49 AM

Haha yes I'm going to Texas A&M. And I planned on bringing a bike if nothing else to save on gas. And I think getting a support group is a great idea. My brother went out to eat every night with his friends and down south all we eat when we go out and are poor is burgers burgers burgers lol. So hopefully hanging out at the rec center will find me like minded girls and scrumptious guys ;-) (with my newfound weightloss of course) lol

and 180 is defintely to high for my body type. I'm a bit think boned, so i'm not unrealistic in my expectations but I have found that when I'm around 165 I feel and look far more healthy than any +1 (972) 816-2272. But that is still not the healthiest I could be. I'm athletic and want to perform better as well look better so that is why my goal is 145