Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WEIGHT LOSS > Weight Loss Tips
Going to college and I don't want a freshman 15 >

Going to college and I don't want a freshman 15

Community
Notices

Going to college and I don't want a freshman 15

Old 07-06-2010, 05:11 AM
FitDay Member

You will have so much fun in college! Just walk to and from absolutely every class... don't skip a class...

Try to stick to your meal plan and if you end up going out to eat, just order a water with lemon so you can still socialize but not exceed calories or your bank! Then grab a sandwich at your dining hall when you return.

Use the bike for shopping and stick with your own two feet for everything around campus.

I think 145 is a good goal, mine's the same and I'm 5'9. Just slightly older than you at 26.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default beer control

LOL. hahah. Michelle, I didn't mean to give up beer entirely. lol, you'll be a college student at A&M. That's near impossible. It's a great school to go to games and parties at -- a good social scene. Plus, the academic programs are excellent. Just watch out for the quantity of the beer, and perhaps the quality as well.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 AM
FitDay Member

I hear you I am a senior in college, my advice is to watch out for the all you can eat social trap. plate your food and never go back for seconds. good luck!
Old 07-07-2010, 07:23 AM
FitDay Member

haha, well I'm not much of beer drinker in the first place so I don't think that will be too much of a problem lol

and Thank you. I'm in love with the A&M atmosphere and hope it will be as phenomenal as I have thought forever.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default Keep stuff in your room

I disagree with the person who suggested getting a dining hall pass. It's different at various college, but some of them allow you to get as much food as you want and call it a meal. Others use a card that has money on it so you can budget. Either way, its like eating in a restaurant and studies show that people eat more in restaurants than they would in their own home.

If you have a fridge in your room and access to a supermarket, I would buy stuff for breakfast and lunch and then eat in the dining hall with friends for dinner. For breakfast, I used to get yogurt and a packaged bagel, but you can get cereal, milk and fruit as well. Or even instant oatmeal. For lunch get bread and deli meat and have fruit and some veggies like baby carrots or snap peas. Keep good snacks in your room like apples, oranges, bananas, etc.

Also join the free rec center. If you go regularily or attend the same classes, you will meet others that like to do what you like and it can be a support system. A fitness class is a great way to meet people especially if you tend to be introverted.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:55 PM
FitDay Member

True, some people do over-eat on a meal card. However, Michelle seems to be conscious of healthy food choices and she's going to a large (and well-funded) school. Now, I may have never been in her future cafeteria, but.... I'm betting that she has more options available (e.g. eggs, salad bar, grilled meats, etc) for her there than she would by just stocking her room. Plus, how much room would she have there to store food? Would she get bored on having the same breakfast every day? What's her usual/preferred breakfast? Does she value the social aspect of eating (eating with others, meeting other cafeteria regulars, etc)? All choices for Michelle to make. For me, it was easier to just show up at the cafeteria since I didn't have a kitchen, nor did I have refrigerator storage, and I met friends there.

Also, its a big sports school as well. When I worked in my university's student athletic center, I saw that many of those athletes were on scholarship with free room and board (ala cafeteria style). Main point, the bigger schools offer more and better choices in the cafeteria. More options available = more opportunities to make healthier choices.

However, I do absolutely agree on taking advantage of the free gym. I can't even imagine how A&M's gym looks....
Old 07-10-2010, 05:12 AM
FitDay Member

Back in college....My friends and I thought the dinning hall put some special ingredient in the food to make us "go" right after we ate there (and so people wouldn't get sick)... Literally we would eat and then poop it all out once we got back to the dorm! Wicked gross, and I never cared for the food to begin with, and since I was so busy in the sorority world, we were lucky to get one meal in a day (usually dinner).

Ohh how I miss college!!!!!

Now I'm lucky if I go once a day, and I've been eating a TON of fiber!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:35 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by iceland77
True, some people do over-eat on a meal card. However, Michelle seems to be conscious of healthy food choices and she's going to a large (and well-funded) school. Now, I may have never been in her future cafeteria, but.... I'm betting that she has more options available (e.g. eggs, salad bar, grilled meats, etc) for her there than she would by just stocking her room. Plus, how much room would she have there to store food? Would she get bored on having the same breakfast every day? What's her usual/preferred breakfast? Does she value the social aspect of eating (eating with others, meeting other cafeteria regulars, etc)? All choices for Michelle to make. For me, it was easier to just show up at the cafeteria since I didn't have a kitchen, nor did I have refrigerator storage, and I met friends there.

Also, its a big sports school as well. When I worked in my university's student athletic center, I saw that many of those athletes were on scholarship with free room and board (ala cafeteria style). Main point, the bigger schools offer more and better choices in the cafeteria. More options available = more opportunities to make healthier choices.

However, I do absolutely agree on taking advantage of the free gym. I can't even imagine how A&M's gym looks....
First... The Rec Center is quite possibly the greatest facility I have ever seen lol

Next, the dorm I am staying has a kitchen and I enjoy cooking so I will probably do a decent amount of cooking for myself, but like you said I am a very social person and I do get bored of the same foods every day so I will also make good use of my parents money () and the cafeteria available. From what I have seen they almost always have very healthy choices... the most annoying thing will be that I will stress about not being able to accurately record my calorie intake because I won't know how they cooked those "healthy" foods lol
Old 07-14-2010, 02:37 AM
FitDay Member

Hahaha, I would be surprised if your facilities were not top-notch! Mine had nutritionists and physical trainers available too (and not at a bad price either... the trainers only cost about $75-$100 for 4 sessions depending upon their status: student or professional). You could check into those extra services if you feel the weight creeping back on.

Come to think of it.... I remembered that my school had little cards posted on the glass outside of the hot foods isles. They were all color coded in green, yellow, and red with the nutritional stats. The colors varied accd to calories (green being lo-cal and red high-cal).

Hope you're doing well so far. I'm excited for you.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:59 PM
FitDay Member

no freshmen 10 for me or my now sophomore girl. Leave your car at home, walk, bike everywhere. Find a sport or activity you can do 2-3 times a week...swimming, jogging, take a PE class etc. Make it easy. eat in the dining hall on campus if you live there. Stay away from casserole type things with mystery ingredients. Avoid the fried stuff. EAT BREAKFAST EVERYDAY-you will be less likely to grab "junk" because you are starving. Eat some kind of protein for breakfast and it will get you to noon. Don't keep "junk" in your room, really want an ice cream? Get off your duff and WALK there. Know you are going to a party? Eat lightly so if you choose to have some beer you won't be blowing it. Track your food. Good Luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.