FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Weight Loss Tips (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/)
-   -   New bathroom scale (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/weight-loss-tips/1396-new-bathroom-scale.html)

NessaSonic 06-23-2010 09:58 PM

New bathroom scale

okay- so I just got a new scale because the old one makes a snap carckle and pop when I step on (i've had it for years). The old one also weigh .6lbs off (it weighs my 30lb weights 30.6lbs). My new scale weighs me over a pound less. What number should I go by? Is it silly that I am this scared of going by the new scale only to find out it's wrong someday? I think I'm being ridiculous now that I type this out, but I'd appreciate opinions regardless...

almeeker 06-23-2010 10:53 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I have a scale in the upstairs bathroom, a Wii Fit Plus (which takes your weight) and I also use the scale at the gym. I never weigh the same on all three of them. The one that weighs me the lightest is the one in the bathroom, so of course I like that one best. What does your new scale weigh the 30 pound weight at? If the new scale seems to be more accurate go by that one. The reason I use the one at the gym is because it is a "balance" type scale, where you have to slide the little weights around until the arm teeters on the red line. Those are probably the most accurate scales, and that particular one is calibrated pretty much everyday by the gym staff. It's just a number honey, ain't nothing to be afraid of.

paleorainy 06-24-2010 07:58 AM

I have three scales at home and one at the gym, all four give me a different weight. That's because they are instruments as any other instrument are calibrated over a measure.
Choose one and stick with it. The new or the old doesn't change a thing, it's not the 0.6lbs that will make a difference in the long run. A big glass of water could weight enough to make you weight 0.6lbs more, don't make a trouble of it, it's not. Just choose one.

wannabefitgrl 06-24-2010 12:28 PM

I think my bathroom floor has little hills and valleys in it because I can weigh myself at three or four different spots in the bathroom and get a couple different weights. I take a rough average if I'm getting a lot of values, but if I get a majority weight, that's the one I use. I only lose a pound a week, if that even, so I know the importance of every pound, but try not to sweat it if I can't get an accurate read.

I look at little things...like how I don't suck in my gut when I'm walking around anymore. That tells me my clothes fit and I feel good in them! Good enough for me.

NessaSonic 06-24-2010 10:15 PM

thanks guys! yeah- i'm just gonna go with the new one. I suppose I should weigh myself at the gym, but I only see very thin girls doing that, and it makes me self conscious.

Ratsmouth 03-24-2011 02:55 AM

New Bathroom Scale

Yesterday I bought a new scale because I really didn't have a reliable one to use when I wanted to. I had been weighing in at the doctor's office, but hate to bug the nurses there to let me use their scale. SO...the new scale registers my current weight at 230.6, and I'm setting that as my current FitDay weight. The doctor's scale a week or two ago indicated 240, but if I'm going to be using one scale to track progress, I think it should be trusted. (Not that I think I've lost almost 10 pounds in two weeks!) One of the scales is "off". I'm just hoping my new one is consistent.

I have been watching my calories and exercising religiously every day, and I probably have lost SOME weight since the doctor's office weigh-in. In any case, I discovered hipbones and a couple of ribs the other morning, and they didn't belong to the dog.

Anyway, having the new scale at home gives me some encouragement to keep going, now with additional feedback re: progress. :)

wildbeanerz 03-24-2011 03:04 AM

I don't have a scale at home either. They have a digital scale at work that we are using for our weight loss challenge. It is there all the time so I will continue to use it once the challenge is over. I am a terrible scale person. I will weigh myself quite often if there is one available. So this way I will not be so tempted because it is at someone else's desk they will know when I use it. She is the weight recorder for our challenge also so I don't feel weird if she sees my weight.

By the way...I am sure that you did lose some weight if you are noticing bones you didn't before. Maybe not an exact amount based on two different scales but congrats anyway!!! :)

Kumochi 03-24-2011 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ratsmouth (Post 40945)

I discovered hipbones and a couple of ribs the other morning, and they didn't belong to the dog.

LOL Thanks for the giggle. Mary

Ratsmouth 03-24-2011 04:12 AM

Thanks. I like to weigh myself, but not daily, since there's some perverse force in the universe that makes you weigh more one day/less the next/more the next. Also, when you hit a plateau, daily weights are discouraging. I weigh about once a week, even with the scale in my bedroom.

Yeah, I'm sure I've lost SOMETHING in the past two weeks. If not, that same perverse force is REALLY out to get me! I'll know I'm doing really well when my dimples disappear. My mom and her friends used to think they were cute when I was a kid, but when I got out of college, I weighed 128 lb. (5'8")...so no more dimples! I'll be very happy when the needle shows I'm out of the obese range and merely overweight! Sheesh. The other thing is that my dad and his mother both developed diabetes later in life, and I want to beat that rap.

SvetaDoll 03-24-2011 07:20 AM

On the topic of scales, i have one at home that is really basic and isn't very precise. I'd like scales that i can be sure are accurate and show me the small increments of weight loss.... can anyone suggest a brand of scales or what features i should look for in scales?? I don't really want to pay more than $50....

Thanks!

sw07 04-07-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by SvetaDoll (Post 40994)
On the topic of scales, i have one at home that is really basic and isn't very precise. I'd like scales that i can be sure are accurate and show me the small increments of weight loss.... can anyone suggest a brand of scales or what features i should look for in scales?? I don't really want to pay more than $50....

Thanks!

I've got one of these:
http://images.bizrate.com/resize?sq=140&uid=1594999207
It seems to be accurate, I'll double check it with 25# dumbells every so often.
Wal mart has 'em and they're cheap-
Walmart.com: Health o meter Oil Rubbed Chrome and Silver Scale: Home Medical

Wanda51 12-14-2011 05:42 AM

Bathroom Scale

I was going to go and get myself a scale for my home. This way I could have an accurate weight loss. I know that different scales can be up to 7 pounds in a difference. However, I thought if I got a scale I would wind up weighing myself everyday and possibly getting disappointed at no weight loss. So looking around I have found that most scales only go as high as 350 pounds. That is my goal for April. I don't have any doctor's appointments until the end of January so will have no way of weighing myself. That will give me time to lose any weight I lose after Christmas dinner though. LOL

Rubystars 12-16-2011 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wanda51 (Post 64991)
I was going to go and get myself a scale for my home. This way I could have an accurate weight loss. I know that different scales can be up to 7 pounds in a difference. However, I thought if I got a scale I would wind up weighing myself everyday and possibly getting disappointed at no weight loss. So looking around I have found that most scales only go as high as 350 pounds. That is my goal for April. I don't have any doctor's appointments until the end of January so will have no way of weighing myself. That will give me time to lose any weight I lose after Christmas dinner though. LOL

Get this one, it's the one I use, and it works absolutely brilliantly and goes up to 440 lbs.

Amazon.com: Eatsmart Precision Plus Digital Bathroom Scale with Ultra Wide Platform and Step-on Technology, 440-Pounds: Health & Personal Care

VitoVino 12-16-2011 12:37 AM

Eatsmart is a great company as well. They get rave reviews on Amazon for customer service. I've got the kitchen scale.

Newjen2012 01-05-2012 03:49 AM

Help fitday friends!! home scales?

hi guys i have just purchased an expensive set of digital scales, i stepped on and it says i am 5 pounds over what i weighed myself at the doctors on tuesday two days ago?

is it the scales? is it me? i bought these so i can weigh myself at the same time, every week..

but i am so confused :( help xx

VitoVino 01-05-2012 04:07 AM

Digital home scales are pretty accurate.

The only accurate weight would be nude so maybe you were wearing more clothes at home?

At any rate, big swings like this can always be attributed to water weight. And a diet high in salt will make you retain water. So start tracking your salt as a custom nutrient would be a suggestion. Plus the water weight can be from TOTM as I'm sure you're aware.

mecompco 01-05-2012 04:45 AM

Yup, I can have huge swings from day to day or even in the same day. And, it's really of no importance whether your scale matches the Drs. or not but it is important for it to be consistent. If you step on and off it, it should give you pretty close to the same weight.

I always try to wear the same thing, weight at the same time, make sure the scale is in exactly the same place, and step onto it in the same way.

Weigh once a week and you'll save yourself some heartache! If you accurately track your calories and are on average well below your daily calorie burn, you can rest assured that you will (usually, as plateaus DO happen) see a loss.

Regards,
Michael

volleyballgranny 01-05-2012 05:56 AM

What they say is not as important as whether or not they are consistent. I wouldn't worry about it. It's a pain to have to record that higher weight when you start, but it will even out over time.

LMB2011 01-06-2012 08:40 AM

NewJen: I too, compair my weight from my scale at home to the one at the doctors after they weigh me. One time I will be at the same weight as them, the next my scale will say I'm more then them. I have had a 7lbs difference between my scale and the doctors. My doctor has told as long as you use the same scale it really doesn't matter what the "office" one says. Kind of like with ones blood pressure. It's all about seeing consistant readings.

In my personal journey with watching my weight I have jumped up 4 lbs in one day due to water weight and salt. Then next day I will be down 2 to 3 lbs if not all 4.

15 in 15 Easter goal
Week 1: 309.3
Week 2: 308.9 (-.4)

strangeways88 01-10-2012 08:48 AM

Try calibrating your scales. It should tell you how to do this in the instructions that came with your scales. I've heard people complain that they'll weigh one thing when the scale is in one spot on the floor, and then they'll move the scale and weigh two pounds more or less...within a seconds of weighing themselves. Re-calibrate your scales and this should help.

VitoVino 01-26-2012 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rubystars (Post 65117)

I finally broke down and bought a new scale and wound up buying this EatSmart. It's real cool looking as well as having quality craftsmanship. And of course it's accuracy is the main feature. My old analog scale was really hard to read, and the weight fluctuated too much during the same weighing session. So sometimes I'd spent several minutes just trying to determine my weight and then I wasn't even sure how accurate it was.

I absolutely love the EatSmart. It hard to find something on Amazon where greater 90% of the ratings are fives but this is one of them.

rinah3 02-07-2012 09:25 AM

I actually just started a thread on scales a few minutes ago. My nasty habit of weighing myself more than once per day has been really affecting my motivation. I guess if I really need to visualize my weight loss process I should stick to taking before and after photos :D The thing is, sometimes, I'd feel my clothes actually getting looser on me but see no change in my weight. I don't know what's up with that.