Not sure where to start? >

Not sure where to start?

Community
Notices

Not sure where to start?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:35 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Not sure where to start?

Hi, I just joined this site today in hopes of educating myself to lose weight, but I'm still not too sure where to start!

I'm 5'8" and 155 lbs (more or less, don't have a scale anymore). My mom passed away in October so I've been very inactive and depressed up until a month or two ago, so I'm looking to improve the image I have of myself.

My general plan is to start eating better and lose some weight, as well as tone up. I would also like to start running but am not sure where to start with that, either, i.e what shoes to get, how far to run since I'm a beginner, etc.!

Any advice you have for me will be appreciated Thankyou!

EDIT: I am also hoping to very much lower my body fat %, as the last time I checked (A bit over a year ago) it was at 30%. :|

Last edited by xCarrie; 06-15-2010 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:54 AM
FitDay Member

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, it's always rough to lose a loved one. It's great that you're finally starting to feel better and are ready to start exercising and eating properly!

"Toning up" is a huge myth, you tone up by losing body fat. I would incorporate at least 3 days of weight training into your week, keep it at a minimum of 30-45 minutes a day and go at a high intensity with heavy weights.

For running shoes, you can't really go wrong with New Balance or Asics. I'm sure there are probably other shoes that are cheaper and as good quality but these are very reliable shoes. I got 7 months out of my New Balance before my feet started to hurt again... (flat feet.)

Eat at a 500 or 1000 calorie deficit everyday and you'll lose 1 or 2 lbs a week.

I'm sure I barely hit the surface, so if you'd like anymore information I'm sure others will respond!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:12 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Seifer
What would you recommend for weight training? I can't afford traditional dumbbells and that seems kind of intense for a beginner like me.. lol
Old 06-15-2010, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Use the Fitday tools to rebalance the calories you eat. Try to get your protein intake to 30% of your total. Reduce the amount of simple carbohydrates you eat. This means limiting anything with white flour, white rice and sugar. Substitute Whole grain products vegetables and fruit.

I agree with SeiferWar about lifting heavy weight. This will help you retain the muscle while your cardio work burns the fat. Remember muscle drives your metabolism. If you have been inactive don't try to do too much too soon. Start by walking for cardio instead of running. Listen to your body and increase as you are able. Pick activities that you enjoy and that you can sustain. Look at the journey has a life change and not just a 'diet'.

Check out Bodybuilding.com, there you can find a multitude of information for workouts and nutrition information as well as some very inspirational transformation stories. Good luck!!
Old 06-15-2010, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks McDuff ^_^

Good call on the protein, I put in what I had for breakfast and it's only at 16% right now. I'll have to check out what food in my house has protein in it
Old 06-15-2010, 04:04 AM
FitDay Member

Good sources of protein:
Eggs
Cottage Cheese
Yogurt
Pork
Beef
Chicken
Turkey
Fish (Canned tuna is relatively cheap and it's portable!)
Peanut Butter
Old 06-15-2010, 08:00 AM
FitDay Member

Oooh thanks! I forgot that I have like five cans each of tuna, turkey and chicken, I'll find a way to use them
Old 06-15-2010, 06:25 PM
FitDay Member

Hey xCarrie,

Some great advice up here already, but thought I'd chime in anyways.

If you're not attending a gym and you're searching for ideas on weight training, try bodyweight exercises like push-ups, lunges, dips, pull-ups, squats, and so on. If regular push-ups are hard, you can do them on your knees or with your hands a couple steps up the stairs. Lunges IMO are a good beginners' squat, and for pull-ups, buy a few resistance bands, loop them around the bar, then around your knees, and use them as assistance until you can do at least one regular pull-up.

You don't necessarily need dumbbells or a weight bench if you're just starting out.

Good luck!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM
FitDay Member

Hi xCarrie,

Just thought I put in my two cents as well...

If you don't really know, how to get started, start with baby steps. In the past, I usually used the "I don't know how to get started" as an excuse not to start at all, so it's all about taking these first crucial steps. Take your bike instead of your car, take the stairs instead of the lift, switch off that TV and go for a little half-hour walk instead, ask friends to jog with you, plan in set dates for your workouts. Oh, and as far as workout is concerned, I very much recommend swimming. It's such a great all-body-workout and it burns a lot of calories (about 550/hour) (and it really shapes up your thighs which is quite a nice plus, I think )

Best of luck for your journey!
Molly
Old 06-16-2010, 01:10 AM
FitDay Member

Here's my 2 cents too....

You could try the couch to 5k program, I've heard it is great. You can get podcasts for your ipod that are geared to this program too. By the time I found out about it, I had found my own way to do 5k. As for shoes, New Balance are the only ones that work for me, and it's rare that I stray from one style. Shoes are very personal based on your gait, foot and other things. The best thing that worked for me was to go to a running store and get advice from someone who knows how to fit running shoes.

I found boot camp style workouts really boosted my weight loss (after initial weight gain) and strength. Just another strength workout to consider...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.