Adjusting Goal Weight >

Adjusting Goal Weight

Community
Notices

Adjusting Goal Weight

Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 AM
FitDay Member

Talking Adjusting Goal Weight

Well, i posted this in ladies support group, didn't get much response, so let's see if i can gett any advice here?!

i have been thinking about my goal weight for the last few days. my goal puts me @ bmi of 24.4, i think it's too close to danger zone of going over the healthy zone limit. should i adjust my weight goal?
at my current weight i tried and could easily fit into a size 4 gap capries, i'm afraid to go lower in weight and just become too small.
what do you think i should do?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Default Hi Farahb7!

I think that it is fine to consider your goal weight flexible, just as your body is a work in progress right now. There is so much variation among individuals. Just a for instance...I haven't tried Gap capris (although now I want to go shopping ), but my BMI is a shade under 20 and I would probably wear the same size as you, at your BMI of 24.4 (being very pear shaped and all). BMI is just a number and there are many factors that could affect it (it does not take into account muscle proportion, for instance). What about going to the doctor for a physical to check cholesterol, triglycerides, etc? If you are healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about the BMI. You could even find a way to measure your body fat percentage (at a gym, with a body fat scale, with calipers, etc.), and if that is in the "fitness" category or the "acceptable" one, so much the better.

We all have a different idea of what looks healthy, what looks overweight, and what looks too small. I think it's more about how you personally feel...finding a balance between a weight you can maintain in a healthy way and being satisfied with how you look at that weight. If that describes you now, stop; if it doesn't, keep on truckin'.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:51 PM
FitDay Member

Hi cassie,

my BMI is still high, it is more like 28.40, my goal weight bmi, when i reach there eventually, after losing 20 more lbs will be 24.4. i still have so much to lose, but to be honest, i do love my curves also and don't want to lose those along the way. so, i better look for other tools, as you mentioned, lose some weight and then see if it's enough or if i should drop more.
The scary thing is, i'm still considered overweight, and fit in size 4, imagine i lose the 20lbs! hope my family won't have to need a magnifying glass to find me at that point!!!!!

by the way, what is a good body fat percentage for ladies?
Old 05-31-2010, 03:01 PM
FitDay Member

Farah,

Wikipedia has a handy reference table for BF% taken from American Council on Exercise - hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

You might also keep in mind that clothing is consistently getting bigger at the same size...the whole "vanity sizing" phenomenon. What is a 4 now might have been a 8 years ago. No matter how smart we are, and no matter how much we know better, if we can get into something in a size we never thought we'd get to, we're a lot more likely to buy it . Gap is funny anyway...I wear a medium with some things and an extra small with others, so don't just go by clothing size. Try to look at the whole picture and focus on how well you feel and how well your body is working for you wherever you are in your journey.

The body fat chart is a good reference, but keep in mind that there are debates about how accurate each measurement modality is. I have one of the fancy-dancy scales and I know that there's a margin of error. But I tend to look at it as knowing it said 28% when I started and anywhere from 19-21% now, so I know there's progress.

Above all, just be gentle with yourself and listen to your body. I know when I listen to my head I go down paths better not traveled; the body is more honest!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 05-31-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:03 AM
FitDay Member

thank you for your responses, Cassie and Nik. my scale shows a body fat of 35%, i started with 39%, so i think i still have a long way to go.
and you are right about clothing sizes as well, in my closet i have anything from size 2 to 12, different brands, and they all fit me fine. isn't that really interesting, about 10 sizes difference!!!!!!