Notices

Calorie Filler

Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calorie Filler

Hello keeping track of calories has been a useful tool to use on Fitday but I was wondering what some of your thoughts are on at the end of the day if you havent had enough calories what to use as a calorie filler?

What I have been experiencing is that I keep track of my food intake and I am running anywhere between 1300-1600 calories where I think I should be at 1600-1900 calories.... what should I be eating at the end of the day if I am seeing a calorie deficit like this?

or should I not worry about this as long as energy levels and mood is elvated?

5'5 Male 163 pounds
Old 01-11-2010, 06:12 AM
FitDay Member

I have the same issue. I guess we're not eating enough, heh!

But, it's strongly discouraged to eat at the end of the day. Try adjusting future days by eating more in the morning, or just keep the deficit like it is. It's possible that the calorie estimate for "burned" is not correct for you and your metabolism in particular. You know when you feel that you've had enough to eat, and you know if you're starving. I'd say if you're hungry, eat more (on future days), you have the "wiggle room". But if not, go with it. I sometimes have a 1500 cal. deficit which is not what you're supposed to do, but I have to question if some of the other estimates just aren't accurate enough. What I wouldn't do is try to "fill in" calories at the end of the day.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 AM
FitDay Member

This happens to me sometimes. If I feel like I will be too hungry to sleep, I eat some cheese, yogurt, or a milk/protein shake.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 AM
FitDay Member

I keep track of not only calories, but the %ages of my calories that come from carbs, fat, and protein. I do best on a lower-carb, higher-protein diet so I shoot for 45% carbs, 25% fat, 30% protein. I've set up my custom nutritional goals to reflect this so at the end of the day, if I can still have more calories, I see if I need more carbs, protein or whatever and choose my snack based on that.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:50 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the replies....I normally drink a protein shake or something of that nature..... but various reports have the benefits of protein stating you need x amount of grams for your weight... for you you are saying you run 30% of you calories being in protein which is around what I am running (mine maybe slightly lower) have you seen added benefits when adding in more protein to your diet?