Notices

Need help - Consistent Binge Eating

Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Freshman30
I've been with this site for over two years now, but I haven't posted in months. My story is a little long so I'll try to summarize at the end, but I think I need to say this or write it down in some way for the same of being cathartic.

As a child and teenager I would binge eat at every moment- when my parents were away, after they went to bed, while baby sitting, ect. Being alone meant freedom to eat anything. In high school my binging would last for months in between months of dieting. By the time I graduated high school I weighed 200+ lbs at 5'2". I'll never know my true highest weight because I avoided scales, photos, and mirrors. Then, I joined this site, became serious and lost about 50lbs.

Recently, I moved in with my boyfriend and our friend Joe. Living with 22-year-old guys means that there is always junk food around. Not to mention the 2-4 friends over every night with pizza and calorie filled booze. In the post few months I've found that I'm back to my binging ways. I thought I had broken the habit, but once again whenever I find myself alone, I eat. I've gone back to my old habit-besting tricks like keeping healthy snacks around, and exercising stress away, but I can't seem to stop myself anymore. Although we don't have a working scale, it's probably safe to say I've gained back 10-20 lbs. I'm ready to admit that I might really need help this time.

TLDR; I eat massive quantities of food whenever I find myself alone. I broke this habit over a year ago but it's come back.

I have no idea what to do. Tips?
Good for you on losing the 50 pounds. Thats amazing. I can relate to the binge eating. I eat perfectly all day and at night when everyone is in bed i tend to eat stuff that I never even thought about eating all day. I know what I "need" to do - I just fail miserably after dinner. I have am 5'5 and currently 164. Two years ago I was 135. I just can't get back to that. I was 150 for a year and I had really heavy periods that were lasting 14-17 days and so I was put on the Marina IUD and gained 15 pounds in a month. PMSING for almost three weeks has made me crave things in the evening for sure.....The Marina has been in for 8 months and is not working - so now I am getting a hysterectomy. Hopefully then I will stop craving all this junk at night.
Right now I joined a competition with my brother who is super fit. He said he will buy me $500 worth of clothes if I can lose more weight than him in two months otherwise I have to buy for him. This has motivated me more than anything else lately - hopefully you can find something like that as well.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

Let me be clear. What you have is an eating disorder, not a bad habit. Binge Eating is a disorder as real and and as dangerous and Anorexia or Bulimia. I highly recommend going to a Overeaters Anonymous meeting or meeting with a psychiatrist.

I am not going to lie - the OA meetings can be a big weird. It is worth it to go to different meetings because they all have a different vibe. Compulsive eating can be difficult to deal with, and is a legitimate disorder- You are not a "emotional eater." It can be hard diagnosis to cope and deal with, but once you get a firm idea of what it is, you may find that there are many people like you, struggling with the same thing.

Is OA For You? - Overeaters Anonymous