Notices

discouraged

Old 04-24-2010, 04:57 PM
FitDay Member

Default discouraged

Hi everyone! My name is April. I'm 24, 5/7, 175 lbs. When i moved to college 2 years ago, without trying I began loosing weight. I lost 30 pounds in a year without trying! and as a result of a new lifestyle, eating differently, and being more active, all of which went along with the new college life, not a conscious decision to do these things. I didn't notice the weight loss until i realized i was wearing a belt every day and my pants started to gather in the front. i suspiciously tried on a smaller size pant and I was able to easily fit into ones 3 sizes smaller! wow! ok, i had lost some weight. Now I want to loose more!....

The past 8 months, a major change in attitude has taken over my life. I went from not caring about my weight, to loosing nearly all the self confidence I once had and obsessing over weight loss. I've had many positive experiences this year due to loosing the previous 30lbs but it seems the more weight I loose, the more self conscious i become. I have started seen a councilor for these issues and its time to pick myself up and continue on my weight loss journey (as soon as i started feeling self conscious about my weight, i stopped loosing it).

so i need some encouragement. i have been eating pretty well, logging my food, etc. i am also a firm believer in not depriving myself. if im having a craving, im going to have it, but i am aware of what im eating, and try to compensate for higher calorie food craving items.

my biggest downfall, however, is sugar. i HAVE to have it. days i go without, i become extremely grumpy and shaky. I've tried replacing sugar for fruit, and it helps but doesn't rid the cravings completely. i feel that if im able to cut the sugar out of my diet i will be more successful in my weight loss and healthy overall. i understand the harm refined sugars can cause to your body and feel the urgency to "get off" of it. Any tips you have to go about doing this would be amazing.

Thank you everyone for reading this. I guess i need a bit of encouragement to get back on my emotional feet and push through to eventually be successful.

Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:34 AM
FitDay Member

I'm not much of a sweet tooth, but occasionally I'll get a really bad craving for it. I keep a few things in the house that usually help although not always. I have a bag of peppermint candies, they have 10 calories each and if I let them slowly melt in my mouth it takes a while to eat one. I also have a bag of individually wrapped Dove chocolates, that can help too, again letting it slowly melt. I also try and drink a lot of water with the sugar fix, hoping to fill myself up. The other thing I do is to make sure I start my day with a big pile of protein. It keeps me feeling full longer and doesn't set me up to have a sugar-low later in the day. I don't know about you, but if I consume a pile of carbs then sooner or later I will get a blood sugar crash and an almost uncontrollable crave for sugar sugar sugar.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:44 AM
FitDay Member

Feeling self conscious after a large weight loss or gain is totally understandable. Your body feels foreign, and people begin to react to you differently. It's sad but true, appearance DOES matter. A lot of the time, being overweight becomes a shield from the outside world, especially attention from the opposite sex. That can be very threatening, especially if it's never happened before. Glad you're seeing a counselor.

How often are you eating? If you're having blood sugar issues, high protein and small frequent meals may help. Or eating your largest meal early in the day, especially if the crash is happening late afternoon/early evening.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

it was really difficult for me to get off sugar. I have it a couple times a week now, but don't obsess over it anymore. The trick is, your taste buds change in about 14 days. So, if you can stick out those miserable, grumpy, 14 no-refined-sugar days, the next time you eat it, it won't be the same. For instance, I got a light latte the other day and could only drink a quarter of it, i gave my husband the rest. It was just...gross. The same thing is happening with animal products for me. The less I have it, the less I want it, the grosser it becomes.

Your cravings also die down (concentrating on getting enough nutrition really helps with this- eating a while, clean diet). So far, I've lost 20 lbs and gained one lb of lean muscle, but i almost feel like it's been 50 lbs. I feel so much better than I did with my previous way of eating!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

14 days? That's pretty optimistic it can take much longer, took me on the order of 8-10 weeks and still I have weak moments. But nessa is right, it takes time and in order to get past it, you'll have to make yourself stick it out. And you may even find yourself falling off the wagon here and there. It's okay if you do, just brush yourself off and get right back on.

I don't get grossed out by animal products, seems like I'm eating more of those all the time. What does gross me out and makes me feel sick are foods with insanely high carbs, like doughnuts and frosting. I just about can't do birthday cake anymore.

Last edited by almeeker; 04-25-2010 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:24 AM
FitDay Member

almeeker- your taste buds don't change all at once, and 14 days is when there is a noticeable change. It's been about two months for me now, though- and I can honestly say, there is a huge change in how processed foods taste to me.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:10 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you for the tips. I know this is terrible, but eating happens when it happens. its my last semester in school and if i get to eat once a day im lucky. Ive been thinking about needing to eat more, i didnt think of adding more protein to curb sugar cravings, but i am on campus or at work a good 12 hours a day, then run home, eat a quick dinner, and begin homework. there have been days when ive carried food with me, but its so much!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:31 PM
FitDay Member

do you eat at the dining hall or at home home? does the dining hall give you an option to take food home? mine did. They had little baggies for if you needed to take your cereal on the run, and always had fresh fruit. oranges, bananas, and apples are so easy to shove in your bag and carry around, along with these great whole food bars called larabars. carrots are easy too. basically- any type of whole food you can take two seconds to shove in a baggie and run. I know how you feel. I worked full time and went to Smith full time and it was really difficult. I did end up gaining about 50lbs there, along with the 30lbs I gained senior year of high school!!! I'm workign it off now, but I really wish I had stopped the weight gain earlier, or even worked some of it off when I had the chance!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:38 PM
FitDay Member

There are a lot of really easy high protein foods, you just have to know what to look for. I've really gotten into Greek yogurt, it's packed with protein, like 14-15 grams/serving, regular yogurt also is a good one, another fast quick protein is water packed tuna, pop the lid and if you're like me eat it right out of the can.