Notices

Sleep Issues

Old 04-06-2010, 11:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default Sleep Issues

Hi, I'm new on the discussion boards here, although I have been using the fit-day for quite some time. I'm cutting carbs down to around 20 a day, and seeing a fairly significant weight loss, but I think I SHOULD be doing better. I think my biggest problem is with sleep issues, and was hoping someone(s) here would have some ideas. I'm 43, work full-time plus, but just can't sleep longer than 2-3 houirs without waking up, tossing & turning, etc. Of course, then in the light of day, I am so tired I can't stand myself! I'm on a few different scrips from the Dr., but don't take the Ambien that he perscribed, as it didn't seem to help. I am careful about keeping my bedroom dark, cool, and not exercising too close to bed-time. Does anyone have any solutions? I have read in so many different places that good sleep can be a key to continued weight loss. These issues have been going on with me for well over a year now. I feel like my entire life, I will just ALWAYS be tired. Anyone with any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Marcia,

Have you ever had a sleep study done? Is it possible you have apnea? You are right; sleep is important. If you can get your insurance company to approve it, a sleep study could help identify the nature of your problems and figure out how to treat them effectively.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
FitDay Member

Marcia- CJohnson is correct. Sleep Apnea causes a lot of issues that you may not even realize. You could be having breathing issues that are waking you up. I had a study done 3 years ago and use my machine every night. Another thing that I started taking were OPCs (a month into it)they are supposed to help fight radicals in your system. I sleep like a baby now as does my spouse
Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 PM
FitDay Member

I go through bouts where I just cannot get a good night's sleep lying down. I have bad joints, and I think lying down puts pressure on things, causing me to toss and turn. I have a SleepNumber bed, and it helps, but sometimes if I go out on the couch, make a big wedge with a bunch of pillows, and sleep sitting up, I get a lot more rest. When I'm having an episode like that, I'll be able to fall asleep fine but wake up after 2-3 hours and not be able to fall back asleep.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:14 AM
FitDay Member

Have you had your hormone levels checked? Could be perimenopause and could happen anytime after 35. My mom started to go through it at 40. She went on hormone replacement therapy and started sleeping 5 or 6 hours a night.

Something else that works for me is yoga. If I wake up and can't get back to sleep I do 20 minutes of yoga and it works wonders.

If you have a lot on your mind, writing it down to dwell on in the morning helps too.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:24 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you, once again, ladies for your thoughts and suggestions. My cousin who is a nurse practitioner swears by yoga. And as far as the hormone thing goes....well, I am making a Dr. appointment TOMORROW! Over a year ago he checked my hormone level and noted, ( according to the nurse who I was able to contact afterward), " PT appears to be starting menopause....". Well, my last period lasted FIFTEEN days, and wasn't light, it was super/plus for almost the whole thing. I am plateaued with my weight loss at 20#s, was hoping for 15 more by June 1st....I can't help but wonder if this isn't all tied together. Again, thank you all so much for taking the time and enegy to try to help out!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Lizzy...where in MI are you? I am in Grayling, originally from down-state though....
Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 PM
FitDay Member

I have trouble sleeping too, but I have restless leg syndrome and have had insomnia my whole life. It actually runs in the family. Anyway I've been sleeping much much better since I started dieting and working out everyday. I also have allergies so I take benedryl at night, which drops me belly up without fail.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:56 AM
FitDay Member

I recommend that you get a sleep study done - what you describe are a few of the common signs of sleep apnea. If the sleeping problems are apnea, then you could benefit a lot from a CPAP machine and/or surgery and/or dental appliance (depend on what type of sleep apnea is diagnosed). I had surgery for sleep apnea and am now sleeping a whole lot better and am not as tired as I was before the surgery.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:29 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by marcia1906
Hey Lizzy...where in MI are you? I am in Grayling, originally from down-state though....
I live in the Jackson area, but I'm very familiar with Grayling, my husband's family has a cottage on Higgins Lake. Small world!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.