Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread 11/26/12...Welcome Back!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:10 AM
FitDay Member

It's Friday! Yay!

Joanne, just like people have been saying, it really is okay to go over every now and again. We are humans and not perfect But writing it down will help when looking back at it. Gives you a reason to keep going forward! You can definitely do this; don't feel down on yourself for starting the week not the way you planned. Make the rest of the week count and just keep going! Life goes on, and we want to make the most of it!

I see so much going on this week; I'm so glad I am posting to this forum! Let me update to this Friday. Haven't done all that I wanted, but I am trying hard to stay happy and positive! I've plateaued on weight for the past few days, but that's good because even though I'm not losing - I'm not gaining either! See the positive, no matter the situation.

1) Eat <1900 calories a day: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes so far
2) Yoga for 30 minutes at least 3 days: Yes, No, No, No, will tonight
3) Walking with dog at least 5 days: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
4) Stretching every day!: Yes, Yes, No, No, Yes
5) Stay happy and positive all week!!: Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

Here's to the weekend stretch! Keep smiling
Old 11-30-2012, 03:25 AM
FitDay Member

Ok, I read The Protein Debate, and my conclusions are that both side come off as zealots who skew evidence to suit their viewpoints. The only point of agreement I noted is that casein, a protein found in milk, may be implicated with adverse nutritional outcomes, (which supports my preconceived hypothosis. )
In summary, nutrition is a contentious and highly personal subject, and it's difficult to find what works best individually, much less for a large population.

It was, however, an interesting slog, and I feel more informed than before I started.

- Donna
Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 AM
FitDay Member

Hope, those Vitamuffins sound yummy. Glad you got to enjoy at least a teeny bit of SF chocolate. Wish I could eat oatmeal, too. I love it, but it takes to big a chunk out of my 25g net carbs per day to manage my blood sugar. I join you in the lack of exercise, but the rest of your reports this week have been very, very praiseworthy! Kudos on that!

A nice susbstitute I found for oatmeal is microwaved soy textured veggie protein aka TVP. Some people think I'm crazy, but I tell them "Don't knock it if you haven't tried it." To save milk carbs, in place of milk I use water and non-fat dairy creamer and a bit of artificial sweetener. Cinnamon to taste is a nice addition. Sometimes for the liquid I use thinner low carb protein shake. Then I nuke it to my desired consistency. I use Bob's Red Mill brand TVP --found in both baking and health food sections of my local grocery stores.

Lisa, thanks for your encouragement. Great job on lower calories yesterday, logging, meds (Oops--you reminded me. I had to stop typing there to go take my supplements.) Wishing you a pie free day today.

Donna, you had a remarkable report on calories and fat even considering the Butterfingers. I don't like them as much, but now I eat low fat versions of cheese and yogurt. I really enjoy Eden Organic Black Soybeans which are only 1 net carb (8g carbs less 7g fiber) per half cup serving. They're canned and unsalted and I can find them only online. I can simmer them with tomato sauce and seasonings to make low carb baked beans. I add them to turkey chili and soups. I also found I can "fridge marinate" them overnight with chili powder and some other seasonings to impart some flavor. Thanks for the link on the Protein Debate. I'm going to read that later today.

I'll be back later to do more catching up with the group.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 AM
FitDay Member

Mern, I used to use TVP in meatless chili but I never heard of it for oatmeal. Definitely gonna check that out!!! Thanks!!! So glad you are back with your support and your help!! And we are here for you too, mama!!! You got this!

I did yoga at the gym and waited too long to eat- ran errands instead of going home. Waiting too long to eat makes me feel lousy and causes me to eat more. I wonder if other people find this too - they eat more if they wait too long. Anyone?

I did not get a chance to read the protein article but I will add this. I agree with Mern. There is no one size fits all diet. I feel better eating less carbs and I am a total carboholic. But changing my diet not only helps with my weight, it helps with my fibro, hypogylcemia and panic attacks. So yeah I miss some things (mostly pizza) but not that much after a while. I get used to my diet and enjoy it. And when I "slip" (as we all do) I feel it.

Joanna, you can do it. Of course, you can do it. You're an incredible, awesome, incredibly accomplished person and you got this. As I tell DD we can't live backwards; we can only move forward.

Love to all...

BTW Butterfingers were my favorite when I was a kid. Now the rare time I have ever tried one they make my teeth feel funny.

Last edited by canary52; 11-30-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by canary52

I did yoga at the gym and waited too long to eat- ran errands instead of going home. Waiting too long to eat makes me feel lousy and causes me to eat more. I wonder if other people find this too - they eat more if they wait too long. Anyone?

BTW Butterfingers were my favorite when I was a kid. Now the rare time I have ever tried one they make my teeth feel funny.
Raising my hand! I totally want to snack before dinner (while I am cooking dinner) if I wait too long to eat. I am thinking of stashing some healthy snacks in my car for the long drive home; ok only 20-30 min or so, but having a small box of raisins or something stashed in the glove box for emergencies would help. When I walk in the door in the evening I usually head straight for the kitchen to start cooking.

Butterfingers are one of my evil nemesis'. They tempt me to no end, then my skin is in ruin for the next 2 weeks after eating just one bite size... sigh, when will I ever learn...
Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 AM
FitDay Member

Goals
Lots of H2O: Y, Y, Y, Y
Focus on whole foods: Mostly, Mostly, Mostly, Y
Focus on fruits and veggies: Y (big veggie soup for dinner), Y, no so much..., Y
Focus on exercise: N, Y (kicked butt at the Gym!), Stretching, Y (workout video - good cardio)
Lose 1lb: -.2 so far, -1lb!!!
Post to FD even at the end of the week when I get lazy: Y, Y, Y, Y, Y
Don’t stress over Christmas (I manage to pull it off every year and this will be no different): Y - I am debating skipping cards all together. So far not too stressed out. Y - Planning a white elephant party with close friends and it is pot-luck so no worries about providing all the food. Sorta - too busy to think about not stressing, well maybe this is a Y after all! Ok - I bought cards today, but only plan to send them out to blood relatives. And will have some on stand-by to send to people who I receive cards from.

Food Plan - Friday
Coffee x 2 (was out and went to McD to get coffee and it was HORRIBLE! So zero for today.
Breakfast - 1/2 slice toast, dry cereal (really need to get to the grocery)
Lunch - organic mac n' cheese (DS is home so kid food it is!)
Snack - orange
Dinner - Chicken, rice and broccoli (did not do this as planned last night because I wanted to marinate the chicken overnight)
1 Drink with dinner if at all
Back-up food for after dinner craving - low cal, low carb and low salt
Chocolate piece for dessert

Last night I made shakshuka for dinner - it was wonderful! It is like a slow cooked thick tomato stew with lots of veggies and lots of spices like turmeric and paprika. It is served with poached eggs (poached right in the stew), and served over rice. Yum!

Ama
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 AM
FitDay Member

Jenn, kudos on your logging, water, fruits and veggies and exercise Tuesday through Thursday! Inspirational! Wishing you more balance with the carbs and protein. UGH, I know that's not easy, but also know you can do it. Just do the best you can with the rest of the day. I think I'm going to be over in saturated fat today unless I don't eat the other half of my lunch salad for dinner. Remember when we don't eat right, we can start fresh any time. Tomorrow is a new day full of new hopes and achievements.

Joanna, life sometimes does a lot of sabotage on our healthful ways of eating. Yup, it's behind you, so just move on. OMG, I love Butterfingers--actually it's my very favorite. We should get on them to make it calorie, carb, and fat free, nutritious, and just as yummy as the ones on the market now. Wishing you a less tempting weekend.

Krystal, I've read that sometimes our bodies want to plateau to get used to the new reduced weight before allowing us to lose more--sort of like it's trying to be sure you're not trying to starve it. Kudos on the additional .4 lb. weight loss since I first met you. Nice reports this week, too!

Donna I didn't get to the protein article yet, but I and my doc, and most of the people in this group agree that what works for one doesn't work for another. At one time I had dropped my protein intake to 100g and then started regaining weight after changing nothing else. Since my blood test still show no signs of any kidney damage that doc is skiddish about, she has given consideration to the fact that I may actually NEED more protein than the average person. So she's looking on my 120g as an experiment for the time being.

Hope, aw--you are so darned sweet. I love being back and sharing this journey with all of you. The support I get here is key to my not falling off the deep end on body weight. Like you, I find that I eat more and am more tempted to cheat on my diet if delay my meals or snacks too long. Kudos on your yoga! I have discovered that I sleep better and have way fewer headaches on low carb. Sorry--I found it amusing that Butterfingers make your teeth feel funny.

Ama, your reports this week are absolutely awesome! What a great role model you are! I got my Christmas cards done early this year because I was caught up with my housework and couldn't work in the kitchen because we have contractors doing some work out there and DH was on the computer. I've never gotten them done so early--love sending them, but hate the work of addressing them. I think this is only the third year in my 41 years of marriage that I didn't have to track down a new address for a friend or family member. We're getting some holiday hustle and bustle over tomorrow already because my husband's family (7 siblings and their descendants) must have our annual Christmas dinner at a restaurant this weekend due to other committments and travel plans. We don't like to have to postpone it to the new year. OMG, my mouth was watering over your description of shakshuka. I'll have to see if I can adapt that to low carb, low cholesterol. Always looking for new ideas. Thanks for mentioning that! Oh, yeah--kudos planning your meals ahead, too. plans, too.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:03 PM
FitDay Member

Goals:
1) plan meals: yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
2) stick to plan (or equivalent): yes no yes, yes very close; yes very close (OK an extra bread and a slice of turkey) salad with dressing instead of cucuumber, not bad
3) 1600 calories or less - 1340 no 1587, 1490, just under like 1597 lol
4) lower carbs -yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
5) no caffeine which means no chocolate heavy sigh -yes sigh, yes sigh, yes, yes, yup
6) 6 glasses water min -7, 8 5 6 ?
7) be a stretchy mama every day -yes, no yes, yes must stretch or I feel icky, yes
8) gym or gentle exercise at least 3x this week -no, no, no, no yoga at gym
9) meditate daily-yes no yes, yes during yoga does tht count? not really
10) practice Spanish -yes no, no yes class no
11) WRITE - yes class yes, yes woke up and wrote right away no
12) be kinder to myself; stop being such a hater to me - trying so yes, yes, yes, yes mwhah, yes
13) avoid sugar: yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

Ama, you're doing great! I too try to have something in the car or in my purse, I take 100 calorie packs of nuts.

Mern, you like that about the Butterfingers and my teeth? It is strange...

I might not be online this weekend and next week but if I'm not, I'm with you in spirit and expect to see you ALL here when I get back online...

Love, Hope

Last edited by canary52; 11-30-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:07 PM
FitDay Member

Plan:
breakfast
egg whites and turkey bacon
lunch
burger and salad
dinner
grilled chicken sandwich
snacks:
nuts
apples
maybe one of those Sabra hummus/pretzel things
egg salad

Last edited by canary52; 11-30-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 PM
FitDay Member

Aw, Hope, I'm really sorry. I didn't take the Butterfingers making your teeth feel funny seriously enough. What kind of sensation is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.