Notices

Syndrome X - Metabolic disorder

Old 12-09-2012, 04:08 AM
FitDay Member

Question Syndrome X - Metabolic disorder

Hi

I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and other disease includes metabolic diosrder (caused by my disease)

Is there a forum for eating for this kind of illness?
my Doc gave me a guidline that I can not follow.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

I wasn't familiar with this term, but Googling tells me that it's the same as metabolic syndrome. I don't know of any particular forums, but it has been mentioned on this site. Try doing a search for the terms, or you could always start your own thread (I would put "metabolic syndrome" since that's what more folks would be familiar with, given the previous discussions here).

What are the guidelines that you are unable to follow?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:35 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I wasn't familiar with this term, but Googling tells me that it's the same as metabolic syndrome. I don't know of any particular forums, but it has been mentioned on this site. Try doing a search for the terms, or you could always start your own thread (I would put "metabolic syndrome" since that's what more folks would be familiar with, given the previous discussions here).

What are the guidelines that you are unable to follow?
I weigh 182, and my doctor gave me a paper guideline of NO egg yolks-but 2 per week, 3/4 cup cereal, no fat milk, no breads, baked goods... only 1/2 cup beans, only pasta with no butter or sauce or milk... cottage cheese. no juice, no drink except water or green tea. No nuts, yogurt or avocado. Oatmeal okay no butter, milk or sugar... (when I get $ I will buy stevia?).

I love cottage cheese. I need a meal plan, with some alternatives or I will be starving and then scarf my food.

Sorry to be grumpy... just really bummed. I looked at my old stats here and I have lost 8 lbs but gained 4 inches in my tummy, 2 in my neck....etc.
On a budget, right now...

Also I am being monitored every 3 months for Hashimoto's (antibodies). CT of the neck showed swollen lymph node but nothing the doc is overly concerned about. I have been DX'd with Hypothyroid 2x in the past 20 years (and cured both times) my Endo says it is cyclical. We did extensive blood work, I have not received my copies yet. I will write more clearly later... so exhausted.

I think I will start a new thread like you mentioned. I need support.

Last edited by Tammyjane2011; 12-10-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:21 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Wow TJ, that's a really restrictive diet!
Did the doctor provide with any dietary goals, like "low fat" or "gluten free" etc? I see very low fats, but also little or no grains. Not exacty sure where a body is supposed to get any energy.

I hope this is something of a temporary setback. In any event, grumpy or not, we all here for you.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Yikes, that IS awful. I can imagine that restrictive of a diet would drive anyone to start scarfing everything!

If your doctor just handed you a paper guideline, there may be a way to personalize it to your situation. I think you are smart in finding people in a similar situation to see what they do. Could your doc refer you to a nutritionist, maybe, for a more in depth look?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM
FitDay Member

Hi,
I did not type everything on the do and don't list. The entire list is just impossible to follow. My GP is very irritated with the new healthcare laws... seems like he is taking it out on me. I googled eggs and it seems that the cholesterol in eggs is now ok. The list he gave me looks to be about 20 years old from the American heart Association or something like that. I prefer to find support with people who are in a similar situation as I am. I will type more later. Thank you so much for your replies! ~T

p.s. how is this for funny: the paper says NO baked potato, but the baked potato skins are GOOD source of vitamins! Yeah, right.
"Here is your dinner honey, I will just take the skins of your potato to add to my 4 green beans m'kay?" lol smh
Old 01-09-2013, 01:13 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Tammyjane2011
Hi

I was recently diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and other disease includes metabolic diosrder (caused by my disease)

Is there a forum for eating for this kind of illness?
my Doc gave me a guidline that I can not follow.
My thyroid was removed 3 years ago due to tumors. I now have a very low metabolism and it seems to take me twice as long to lose weight now. I am on a low carb diet. I try to limit cabbage and brussel sprouts because they interfere with my medication, and limit sugar to my coffee. It is a hard, slow roda but it can be done. Go to WebMD to find out more about your disease and it will give you tips on foods to avoid. Good Luck.