Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread 11.12.12~~A Week To Not Be Weak

Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 AM
FitDay Member

Goals:
1) Plan food -yes, yes (went off plan on dinner tho)
2) < 1600 calories, 1180, 1663
3) 6 glasses H2O min - no , 6
4) stretch- yes, no
5) some form of exercise, even at home 2x min -home execise and walk, no
6) pull self up by bootstraps - talked to therapist, "retail therapy" and saw friend,

Will catch up later or tomorrow. Yay Meachan for no caffeine or aspartame!!!

Last edited by canary52; 11-14-2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:30 AM
FitDay Member

Plan:
Breakfast:
Ezkiel English muffin tih raisins and Tofutti cream cheese
Lunch:
DH baked orange chicken (my downfall last night: I ate 4 pieces)
baked squash
Snacks:
almonds
apple
Dinner is a crap shoot because we are eating out but I am thinking Gyro and maybe some fries (I know, I know....)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default Push ... Up

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Donna, what seems to be your problem with push-ups? Is it the keeping your body straight (plank) or the upper body strength?
Arg! I wrote a long post on this and it disappeared when I hit preview! Take 2:

My problem with push-ups is that I'm:
  • Lacking upper body strength
  • A perfectionist
  • OCD (aka AR)
  • Over 50
I've been trying to do 20 Perfect Push-ups for at least 6 months, unofficially a year. My Honey can (still) do plenty of push-ups, even though he's a bit out of shape. The kind where you plank, touch nose to floor, and lift back up. But I haven't been able to do one, ever. Until last week. I did one! I was so proud of myself!

I can (now) hold a rail straight plank for minutes (where n mins depends on the day, time of day, etc...) I can now do pushups that get kinda close to the floor. I can even hold a plank within mms of the floor. But can't seem to do that and push back up. No arms. I've been trying all kinds of tricks, but the tricky part is just to keep trying. On the plus side, I'm (*) Very Stubborn.

Okay! I just tried again, and I did another one! I'm so excited! I can't do two though... Maybe by next year...

Last edited by dmartz; 11-14-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 AM

boji, enjoy your special dinner. You can always be a little more restrictive on calories tomorrow or spread out over the next few days, right? If he's making it, he must care and that's something special.

meachan...good job on your success so far!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default Tuesdays Results

GOALS:
Calories: Less than 1700/day: 1596,1795
Workouts: 3 workouts this week. MON,TUES
Went over on calories by a little, still under 1700 for the average. Hadn't planned on the gym for Tuesday so made it gray. Planning on a gym night tonight.

gwheelocks;
Good to have another guy on board.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Walking Wednesday is out the question. I just left the office, been super busy all day and now it is COOOLLLLLDDDDDDDDD. I'll try to catch up in a bit, now I need to find something to eat.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dmartz
Arg! I wrote a long post on this and it disappeared when I hit preview! Take 2:

My problem with push-ups is that I'm:
  • Lacking upper body strength
  • A perfectionist
  • OCD (aka AR)
  • Over 50
I've been trying to do 20 Perfect Push-ups for at least 6 months, unofficially a year. My Honey can (still) do plenty of push-ups, even though he's a bit out of shape. The kind where you plank, touch nose to floor, and lift back up. But I haven't been able to do one, ever. Until last week. I did one! I was so proud of myself!

I can (now) hold a rail straight plank for minutes (where n mins depends on the day, time of day, etc...) I can now do pushups that get kinda close to the floor. I can even hold a plank within mms of the floor. But can't seem to do that and push back up. No arms. I've been trying all kinds of tricks, but the tricky part is just to keep trying. On the plus side, I'm (*) Very Stubborn.

Okay! I just tried again, and I did another one! I'm so excited! I can't do two though... Maybe by next year...
I never touch my nose when I do push ups. I do my exercises until I hit 90*. This is easier on your joints. So I go down until the top part and bottom part of my arms are at 90* (the top part is parallel to the floor). IMO, going lower than that is putting unnecessary strain on your shoulders and elbows. To be honest, I do them so fast, if I were to touch my nose, one day I'd end up breaking it or knocking out my teeth.

This is going to sound sexist to some but don't try to compare yourself to your honey. Men usually have more upper body strength. That's not to say that you won't ever be able to do as many as him, or more, just don't get discouraged because it's easier for him.

Here's my suggestion... quit doing them how you are doing them. That was easy, huh? No, seriously, the only what you are going to get better at them is to get stronger. The only way to get stronger is to work the muscles. You probably aren't working the muscle much doing one every now and then. I would either go back to your knees and crank them out until you can't do one more, or elevate your upper body, maybe on stairs and start busting them out. Trust me, you crank them suckers out, even on your knees and you'll feel it. The next day your chest, arms and shoulders will probably scream at you. I would also not do them every day, assuming you are cranking them out and wearing the muscle down. Give yourself a day between to let the muscle recover. Then the next day 20 (or however many) more. It's okay to do multiple sets on the days you do them, but give them a day to heal. So lets say you start off on your knees and you can do 8, take a little break and try it again. After a few times, you'll start off a day and do 10. Once you can do 10, pretty easily on your knees, do 10 then take a 10 second breather and get back to it. For every push up you do, that's how many seconds of a break you get. So once you get to 10, it'll probably look like this.
10....... 10 second break
7......... 7 second break
4.......... 4 second break (WTF I ONLY GET A FOUR SECOND BREAK!!!!, yep)
1.......... done

Take off the next day, then try again on the following. I would bet that once you get to the first 10, within a few weeks you'll be able to do 20 on your knees. At that point, you'll probably be able to do a few on your toes. Work at in until you can do 10, then follow the same procedure.

That should get you were you want to be before the next year passes you by!

BTW, If I had to do 10 for every cuss word today, I'd be dead! I think Tori was getting a kick out of it. I dropped a few F-bombs and another choice word or 2, then she wanted to see how many I could use in a sentence. I must say, I think I impressed her.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 11-14-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:28 PM
FitDay Member

Just popping in to say that I royally suck lately. I'll do a full update tomorrow. Annnndddd....carryon.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 PM

1. Target <1600 calories/day.
no. / no 1700. / yes 1571.
2. Walk the park or big block 4x with Sara this week.
Yes! / no. / no.
3. Take meds 2x/day.
forgot p.m. / forgot p.m. again. / yes.
4. Log everything.
yes. / yes. / yes.
5. Plan ahead this week a few healthier (or at least less bad) items to have next week during Thanksgiving.
working on it. / in progress. / done i think.
6. Start reading labels and learning more about cleaner food choices.
tried, but felt a little lost. / did some reading. / a little.

Feeling blah today. I think I will be challenged.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:46 AM
FitDay Member

Goals for the week:
Finish sewing my friends birthday present.DONE!
Keep the kitchen table cleared off. M, T,W
Iron the mountain of ironing. Pants are all done...
Go to water class this week!!W
No pistachios! T,W!
Log food. T,W

Mike- thanks for your tips on the push-ups. I am not great at them either but your advice is good and I will try to apply it. When I reach my weight loss goal (2 more stubborn pounds) I am going to throw some actual weight training into my workout routine. (I am currently doing cardio for weight loss and Strength yoga 3 x a week)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.