Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread 11/5/12

Old 11-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hi guys, like Joanna, I'm just popping in to say I didn't die, just super busy. I have had a mixed bag this week in terms of food and exercise; some days good, some days bad. I need to get my priorities straight again!

Hope, I hope that things are better for you by now. I am sad that you feel you blame yourself. I think you are handling what life has given you with strength and grace, so be proud, even if you don't feel physically strong.

Ama, you and I think alike. I HATE that there is so much crap in processed food. I make everything that I can from scratch, and what I can't make, I watch ingredients on like a hawk. I do bread every other weekend for us and I agree, it is very enjoyable and therapeutic. Recently I tried burger buns but left my hubby to take them out because I had to get my son to volunteering, and he forgot them. So they were actually hard enough to do some damage and we didn't eat them . We just a week or two ago bought a chest freezer (well, we used "points" and got it for free), with thoughts of 1/8 grass fed cow sometime soon, but I am enjoying stocking it up with other things for now.

Hubby was off today and he grilled burgers, and coming home to a meal hitting the table and shaking off the work and the traffic and the mom's taxi routine was absolutely priceless . He usually doesn't get home till 7:30 or so, so this was really an unprecedented role reversal.

I hope everyone is doing well; should have some time later to read though the week. Congrats to everyone who's doing well, and if not, tomorrow is another day and I know you can knock it out!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:23 PM
FitDay Member

Cassie, welcome back. So good to see so many of our people coming home to our "dysfunctional family."

Ama and Cassie, you are my heroines. I made pitas once and other than being unusually dense, they came out OK. That was prolly like 20 years ago LOL. Cassie I had to laugh at your DH burning your buns because mine let my recent cornbread overcook and he got a lot of um... ca ca about being a "cornbread merderer" from me about it.

Cassie and everyone, I really appreciate your compassion. In white because it is my rant: I've been sick with about a 4 day break for almost 6 weeks, a lot of pain and fatigue and it just does something to a person to feel that way after a while. DH is wonderful but I hate to tell him how I feel sometimes (even tho he knows when something is wrong because he says he can see it on my face.) He just feels so bad and helpless. And my friends are great but how much can one impose? I missed an election night party because I could not physically put my clothes on; my body just refused. DH would have helped me, gladly, but my knees and back were aching so badly and I was so weak and exhausted from driving to and from writing class that I just sent him off to the party, watched it in bed in my pjs with my cat and some (OK a lot of) sugar free cookies. He kept texting, offering to pick me up, bring me to the door, but I was fine where I was, talking to a friend on the phone and texting DD about her first time voting (!!!!).

To give you an example of what I have felt recently, you know when you strike your elbow on something? That sharp pain? Imagine having that in your hands (sometimes up to the elbow) and your feet nonstop for a month and a half, all day and all night. I had to type in gloves because my hands hurt so much. And that was only one of many symptoms and they change all the time in addition to insomnia, IBS, anxiety, depression and a host of other stuff like trouble swallowing (really scary at first) or electric shocks all over my body. DH turned up the heat to ease the body pain the cold causes and offered me anything I need, told me go and buy whatever would make me comfortable, whatever the cost. Of course, I cannot shop in this condition, tho I have done it and paid the price; for now it is enough to get food (and he's been helping with that too.) But for DH with a reduced salary to say that: go out, never mind the cost, that was something. He bought me tons of hiking socks for my painful feet. And I do feel bad; the man works all day and then does so much when I can't (cooking, laundry, etc.) Of course when I can do (and even sometimes when I can't) I do my best. I've been crying a lot lately and my post was just one of the times I'd pretty well had it. But I woke up today determined not to let this beat me.
I have to just remember that I am so lucky. And lucky to have my "dysfunctional" FD family too. Hey I think we function pretty damn well!!! My apologies for the long kvetch.

Last edited by canary52; 11-08-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 PM

1. Aim for 1600 calories/day.
close-1750. going the wrong way-1805. getting further from goal. 1513 I did it!
2. Take meds 2x day.
yes. yes. yes. 5 hours late tonight, but yes.
3. Do some sort of exercise 3x this week with Sara for at least 20 minutes each time.
no. no. yes.no
4. Log everything everyday.
yes. yes. yep. yes.

I tried something new yesterday. Usually I have oatmeal with raisins for breakfast. It's delicious and good for me, but I was finding myself feeling famished after just a couple hours. Then it seemed to lead to getting off track the whole rest of the day. So yesterday I decided to have my lunch (a tostada) for breakfast, a low carb tortilla baked crisp then topped with refried beans, cheese, lite sour cream and salsa. The higher protein and fat really worked! I stayed full ALL day long! Then what I planned to do was take my usual breakfast and instead of snacking on the wrong things before bed I was going to have the oatmeal then to keep me full through the rest of the night, trying to avoid my middle of the night cupboard raids. But, I didn't even need it. I had my popcorn, 2 Tbsp of semi sweet chocolate chips, and I was good for the night. Here it is 2:15 a.m. and I'm still feeling pretty good. I'm going to do the same thing this morning, but I'm going to add 2 oz of chicken to the tostada to get in even more protein. I hope it works again! I have 1519 calories planned for today, so I hope I can stick to it.

Sara is feeling discouraged already. She weighed herself and gained 1 1/2 lbs. I tried explaining to her that the scale fluctuates all during the day, and since she weighed herself at night it probably wasn't the best time for it. I hope I can get through to her that this is an ongoing learning process, and it takes time to understand what works best for our individual bodies. She is trying really hard to make good choices, and I'm doing my best to help her by packing her good lunches and giving her good snack choices plus lots of love and encouragement. Please send some good thoughts her way.

Have a very happy day everyone!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:42 PM
FitDay Member

Lisa, I think it's great you found what works for you. Someimes it's just a matter of experimenting.

I missed the original posts about Sara due to the storm. How old is she? Is she overweight? Sorry to make you repeat info. I hope she does not get too attached to the numbers on the scale. That is a trap for a lot of us; I am still caught in it. And you're right, the numbers fluctuate and if you're gonna weigh yourself, it's much better in the morning at the lowest than at night at the heaviest.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:54 PM
FitDay Member

Ama, it's funny; you'll probably find the Cold Eze in a supermarket or drugstore easier. They have regular and sugar free versions. The sugar free melt in your mouth with no real taste; the honey lemon of the regular taste pretty good. It's zinc and for some reaosn, it works. Take one every four hours when you feel sick. No citrus a half hour before or after. I have had it cut colds and upper respiratory things short or even stop them. It's working now. But ya gotta catch it at the beginning for the best results.

Last edited by canary52; 11-09-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:59 PM
FitDay Member

Goals:
Food and fitness:
1) Plan meals - yup, yes, yes, yes
2) Try to stick to meal plans (or close) - yup, no, mostly, I traded out lunch but I stayed within my limits
3) Mindful eating (I like that, Frenchhen; I hope you don't mind I'm using it)- ish, no, yes, yes
4) Water - 36 oz, c'mon 6 glasses - 64oz woo hoo, 56 oz, 72 oz, 56 oz
5) Do not be a carb monster - decent, did pretty well on that, yes, yes
6) 2 gym visits or walks (even short) min, 2 c'mon how hard can that be? (answer with fibro: very hard but NOT IMPOSSIBLE) -nope, no, no but I did exercise at home, no
7) stretch -yup, no, yes twice, yes twice

Personal
8) Wriiiiiiite - yup, yes and class, some journal stuff, the most I've done in a while though I am still stiff from sitting at the desk
9) Meditate -nope, in my car for my friend's sister who was having open heart surgery, yes, yes 1
0) mindful speech/listen -nope, no, yes, meh
11) Practice Spanish -nada; nada todo nada; si; si por dos horas en classe y mas.
12) I'm adding this: keep under 1600 calories: yes, no, 1305, 1285

Last edited by canary52; 11-09-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by canary52
I missed the original posts about Sara due to the storm. How old is she? Is she overweight? Sorry to make you repeat info. I hope she does not get too attached to the numbers on the scale. That is a trap for a lot of us; I am still caught in it. And you're right, the numbers fluctuate and if you're gonna weigh yourself, it's much better in the morning at the lowest than at night at the heaviest.
Hi, Hope. Sara is 10 (she'll be 11 in a couple weeks), and she's a little bit overweight. She's in the 88th percentile for her age, so she's bigger than most girls at school. She's not that far off...just needs a little bit of work.

You're so right about the scale being a trap. I'm addicted to it, and need my fix several times a day. I'm always lightest at about 3 in the afternoon. Weird, huh? As for Sara, I'm going to try to get her in the habit of just once a week.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:29 AM
FitDay Member

Lisa, that is strange, 3 pm: I think that's when I'm at my heaviest! LOL. I think it's good to nip that scale addiction in the bud. Good luck with Sara! I love the emphasis on healthy food.

Speaking of scales, planning seems to be working for me. I am finally losing again and I hope to keep it off the time and to lose more!

Today's menu:
Breakfast
Ezkiel English muffin with raisins
Tofutti cream cheese (this seems to be working)
Lunch
Applegate organic turkey and lettuce wrap
orange
Dinner
roast chicken
winter squash
Snacks (this will be tough becasue I have a discussion group meeting at my friend's and she always has food; I'm gonna try to be "good")
home:
almonds
lox
at my friend's
hummus
rice crackers (can't resist)
fruit
Old 11-09-2012, 06:12 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie - You can joke that your DH has "smokin' hot buns." LOL! Great job reading labels! I am doing better at that than I used to, and it is really pissing me off what I keep finding. The other day I was snacking on wheat thins and read the label - packaging treated with BHT to preserve freshness... what? It was not even in the ingredients list, but written further down. I looked it up and there were lots of "possibly could be carcinogenic, cause behavioral problems... etc" issues associated with BHT. AAAAAH! I lived on wheat-thins when I was pregnant!

I plan to start making bread regularly again - just having a hard time getting a loaf big enough to make sandwiches with, they all seem to turn out more flat and dense than they should. Now I want to start using more nut flours and less wheat - time to start experimenting again! If you have any bread baking tips to pass on it would be appreciated! What else do you make from scratch? I could always use ideas! I make my own vanilla extract, salad dressings, kim chee, pizza crust, sun-dried tomatoes, dinner rolls, and several skin care products. But really want to expand my horizons.

Glad you got a break from dinner last night. What a sweet hubby! Ama
Old 11-09-2012, 06:34 AM
FitDay Member

Hope - It is do sad to hear what you have been going through... I think it is really good that you are able to write about it and get it out in the open. I don't know much about fibro but it sounds like such a heartbreaking condition when flared-up. Big hug to you for what you have been going through. Your DH sounds like a wonderful person and a very compassionate husband and I am so glad to hear you have his unlimited support.

Glad to hear that you are back on track and losing again, that is such great news! I like how you have been planning your menus - lots of good food

Ama

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.