Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread beginning 10/29/12 >

7 Day Motivational Thread beginning 10/29/12

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread beginning 10/29/12

Old 11-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

Day one and I already missed a goal *headdesk*
But I did make it through 18 things on the list, plus a few things I had forgotten to put on there (ahem, bills!).

1. Calories 1200 or fewer. 929
2. Do some sort of exercise every day. Nope
3. Eat clean. Yes
4. Get enough fluids. Meh
5. Get enough sleep. Yes
6. Log and post. Yes

Most of today I'll be volunteering with my son at the organization we work with; they are having their Fall Classic tournament. There will be kids here from many states; kind of like Special Olympics but just tennis. It should be a beautiful day and a lot of fun.

Still have not gotten caught up with you all, but welcome back to Quinn and April. Hope, I am glad you have power, and hope you can get detoxed from the carbs. I never felt the pull of a "carb addiction" until recently, but it is there. I think its probably because I've been letting the wrong sort of carbs in.

Lisa, I just saw your post. I have had the experience of working with my son. Like your daughter, he's not fat, but because he stayed on the short side for so long (5'4.5" now! but I guess that's still on the short side ), he always had the appearance of being a little chunky, even though he was physically active. I basically just tried to share information...like why protein was good, why we choose complex carbs, and how to do the "trade off" thing, like, well we had pizza for dinner, so maybe dessert should be fruit instead of frozen yogurt; tomorrow is fish, so froyo would be okay then. Basically I talked my thoughts through out loud, like when he asked what was for dinner, etc, and told him why I made each choice, or when I suggested snacks like, for example, having high protein after he had just played a match.

I read a study not too long ago about how much younger girls are starting to "go on diets." I think maybe framing it as being healthy, eating smarter, making better choices, etc. can be a mindset that she takes with her into adulthood. Jenn has some very good thoughts above; I love the walking idea. Your daughter is lucky that you are knowledgeable and eager to learn more and to help her. It is easier when you have a buddy, especially when you're a kid.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default Fri.

• Work out 2 days > 40 min.s: 0, 20, 0, 0, 20
  • Average < 1600 cals: 1084, 1242, 2050, 1744, 1837
  • Vegetables: Y, Y, Y, Y, (a few)
  • Protein (g): 43, 44, 96, 101, 82
Walking 8+ hours
10 % cals from red wine!
Old 11-03-2012, 02:26 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by lcriswell0421
I wanted to bring something up to you all and get your feedback. My daughter, 10, is very self conscious about her weight. She is in the 88th percentile for her age, and all her friends are very skinny so she has a poor self-image. She is a little bit over weight for her age, but she's definitely not fat. She has been complaining about it, so I just keep telling her to stop eating junk food (she's really a chocolate lover!). Then she complains about how hard that is. But yesterday she really decided she wants me to help her to start eating better and making better choices. ...
Perhaps keep smaller portions of chocolate, the high cacao stuff, around to satiate your daughter's cravings for chocolate. I've heard that this type of chocolate is good for you, and can actually help loose weight. Then the focus can be on healthy substitutions for things you love, and portion control. Like you mention, making better choices

- Donna
Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 AM
FitDay Member

Got exercise bagging leaves this afternoon. Wanted to finish but the bags were heavy and I had to drag them up to the house myself (approximately 150ft--one at a time) so only did 3. Been too busy to really plan proper meals so hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Jenn
Old 11-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

What's up weekend warriors? Well I've been chopping away at my goals today.

Chopping wood by hand is a workout!

I'll check back in a little later. Get to it ladies... and Ron!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 PM

I wanted to drop in with a quick thanks to those who gave me some great ideas on helping my daughter, Sara, learn about healthy eating. Donna, having some higher cacao chocolate around is a good idea. I will look at the store, see what I can find, and separate it into small single portions. Cassie, we spent a fair amount of time today discussing things like why carbs are good, but in moderation and things like that...very good idea to have discussion on why we do what we do. And Jenn, I took your advice and looked up the guidelines for servings of the different food groups for her age. To help make things easier, to learn how to count and keep track of actual serving sizes, and to get an easy visual, I created a daily checklist for her. I've attached a pic of what I made. The green boxes are the minimum recommended servings and the black boxes are the "up to" servings. So, vegetables are a minimum of 3 and up to 5 servings a day. You can see here that she did excellent today with a well-rounded diet. She was short 1 serving of vegetables, and went a smidge over on fruits, but really she did awesome. And she really liked "seeing" how well she did. She was under on calories, so we looked at where she needed more servings and decided a fruit/milk/yogurt smoothie would be perfect along with 1/2 single serving bag of popcorn for another grain and more fiber (she was low in fiber), and it was great to help us get her to a balanced day. All your suggestions were very helpful and taken to heart. I think Sara will really learn a lot...the healthy way!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:41 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, where are you?????
Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 AM
FitDay Member

Goals:
1) Do not gain "hurricane weight" by overeating while hunkered down - same, lost, lost, gained two pounds Whut?; same, same
2) stretch every day- y, y, y, y 3/4 (interrupted by coffee) y, y
3) remember to take my pills (blood pressure, fibro, vits)- y, 1/2 y, yes, yes, yes
4) under 1600 calories - ?, ?, 1967, 1587 NO, NO
5) what is up with me and water? I not only have to pour it but I actually have to drink some (and I even gave it to Mike as a goal) n, n, n, YES 8 glasses woo hoo ? ?
6) gym 2x this week -n, n, n, n, n, n
7) meditate- n, y, n, y, y, n
8) write - ish, yes, yes, yes no, no
9) plan meals n, n, n, yes yes but went off, no
10) remain positive - y, y, 1/2 and 1/2 yes yes both days (I think) but it was really hard

We had friends stay over for two days because they lost power. And I lost will power. So as I say, Finnegan begin again. (corny, I know.) New day. New start. Ignore leftover dessert.

Mern, where are you? I miss you.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

1. Calories 1200 or fewer. 929, 1224
2. Do some sort of exercise every day. Nope, Possibly
3. Eat clean. Yes, Mostly
4. Get enough fluids. Meh, Yes
5. Get enough sleep. Yes, Yes
6. Log and post. Yes, Yes

Mixed bag this weekend. I didn't exercise per se yesterday, but I did spend hours on the court fetching balls while volunteering, and boy was I tired and stiff when I got home! It was a wonderful day, even though I didn't get much done of the list from hell. The boy picked the restaurant, Italian, so I guess I got off lucky being over just a hair on my calories. I'm trying to regroup the productivity today.

Lisa, that's a neat chart you have for Sara. I agree about the high cacao chocolate, too; the really cool thing is that it's not as sweet, so just a square or so is plenty for a treat...it's not something you can compulsively eat, like M&Ms or Hershey kisses, IMO.

Way to hang in there, Hope.

I miss Mern, too .
Old 11-04-2012, 12:21 PM
FitDay Member

Default Sat.

• Work out 2 days > 40 min.s: 0, 20, 0, 0, 20, 0
  • Average < 1600 cals: 1084, 1242, 2050, 1744, 1837, 1527
  • Vegetables: Y, Y, Y, Y, too few, N
  • Protein (g): 43, 44, 96, 101, 82, 52
Walking 5 hours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.