Notices

starting my journey to loose weight, again....

Old 04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
FitDay Member

Talking starting my journey to loose weight, again....

I have dieted on and off several years, everytime I get serious about it it seems something happens to derail me. This time I have decided that I want to get in shape and if I loose weight while I am doing it great! I would like to be able to run a 5K race by this summer, I can walk a mile in about 15 -18 mins but I am in no shape to run. I would like to loose 25 lbs but they say to get to my ideal weight I need to loose 50 lbs. Both sets of grandparents and my mom are diabetics so I know that it is not a question of if I will be but a of when. I am trying to put it off as long as I can. I am a stay at home mom with no adult interaction so basically all I did this winter was eat junk food. I want to do this not only for myself but for my family. I would like to be able to get out and play soccer with my youngest (2 years) when she gets old enough to play. Hopeing I find some support here.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 AM
FitDay Member

You've come to the right place. I'm a stay-at-home mom too, only I had 125 pounds to lose! Yikes! I'm down by 64 and have another 60 to go. I have to say that since starting this journey, my family is much healthier overall. A healthy mom = a healthy family. Even my somewhat chubby 8 year old daughter has lost 4 pounds and dropped 3" in her tummy - and she's not even dieting! She likes to get up in the morning with me and workout. I ride the elliptical, and she plays Wii Fit Plus games. Hey it's working. Our house is also very nearly junk food free. We have a little left over Easter candy, and there are some other things here and there. But we have almost no boxed frozen dinners of any kind, no chips, no munchies, no pizza rolls, yet the house is loaded with all kinds of food - most of it at least marginally good for you. One switch you can make that is pretty easy is to switch over to whole grain low-cal bread. I think that's what helped my daughter lose 4 pounds. We've also switched to whole grain pasta, which was very easy as well. We also do a lot of fresh veggies and fruit for after school snacks, before we were all about the cookies and chips.

Soccer is a great workout. I try and play with the kids now and then and I always used to end up wheezing. But I've been riding that elliptical like a fiend since Christmas and I think I'm going to surprise them. Mama's got game now....