Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread beginning 10/22/12

Old 10-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, I am so sorry this wasn't as you hoped. It sounds as if a new dietician is in order. Not because you didn't like the answer, but because she seems to be in the pocket of the drug company. I can't see how you can put your faith in someone who is telling you to go against what you have worked so hard for...manage your health without medication. I am not anti-meds, but I do believe that if there is a natural way to do it (as you have shown), that is best. Just my opinion.

I suppose a dietician is like a therapist, which I tell people is like a pair of shoes. If it doesn't "fit," you will be miserable, so take the time to find one who is a good fit. You are not wrong and you have put so much effort into this, and know yourself very well...I have faith that you will find an answer. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but you are the queen of digging for info and you will. For now, just do what makes you feel most at peace with your diet, what you know works. Maybe call your doc and share with her. Good luck; keep us posted. {{hugs}}
Old 10-24-2012, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

Calorie deficit 400-500: 165, 419, 29
Workout 3 days: Mon, Wed
>80g protein a day: 83.7, 81.7, 103.2

Forgot to log part of my dinner this morning, somehow, so thought I could eat extra for breakfast when I couldn't really. Meant I definitely met my protein goal though. Also had a couple of toffees/biscuits... tut tut me. Still about maintenence though, so not devastating. Back on track tomorrow...with better logging skills!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 AM
FitDay Member

Mern, this must be so frustrating for you. I am inclined to agree with Cassie's suggestion to consult another doctor, one that may be less inclined to put you on drugs. Drugs, if you need them, can be lifesavers, but I think it's good to check out all the options. Lisa also made a good suggestion of trying to add more carbs (I would say in the form of fruits and veg) but frankly I was surprised at the recommendtions. Because all diabetic counseling I have heard recommends lower carb.

[[[Big hugs]]] to you, Mern. I know this may get you down but it won't defeat you because you are smart and resourceful and you have us and we are all in your corner.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 AM
FitDay Member

Mern – Agreeing with the consensus – A dietician is a great idea, but find one that you can trust. Weird why your doc would recommend you to a drug rep though… About the tearing-up… I am so sorry you had to go through that, and know kind-of how you felt as I have fought the tears back on more occasions than I care to admit in the doc office… even bawled my head off a few times. Big Cyber HUG to you Mern!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default Tuesdays Results, (finally)

Goals:
Calories < 1700/day: 1586,1679
Workout 3 times this week:MON,TUE
Hit my mini-goal of 220#: Pending
Motivate all the others here to get back on track!! Pending

Late posting as had training today at work and then the internet connection was down. Did'nt get to the gym last night but had not really planned to either. Made Chili for the work Chili Cookoff.

Mern; BIG HUG!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks to all for your input, cyberhugs, concern, well wishes, and encouragement. I have decided I will not accept the risk of being led back from now normal blood sugar into pre-diabetes or full-blown type II diabetes with high carb, meds, and a blood glucose meter in order to speed up my metabolism. For me that would simply be trading one health problem for another. That's not how I roll but I honestly do respect the right of others who have decided that's a sensible route for them. I will continue looking for a better solution for myself.

Ama, that crossed my mind, too. For now I'm going to give my doctor the benefit of the doubt as to why she hooked me up with the dietitian from the drug company. Doc did tell me there would be no charge for the dietitian session but failed to mention the drug company connection. My guess is that she thought the dietitian could give me some free pointers on speeding up my metabolism with food combinations while staying low carb, low sat fat, low cholesterol, low sodium, high protein which has worked to reduce my blood sugar and cholesterol. Cyberhug right back to ya!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:44 AM
FitDay Member

Mon:
  • 5 min.s Hula Hoop, 5 mins of not so perfect push-ups
  • Not enough veggies, (some carrots, lots of fruit)
  • Arm intensive to-do list item (3 hrs)
  • 1400 cal.s (1750 basis) Need more protein!
Tues:
  • Veggies: Lots! broccoli/lettuce (lunch), primavera (dinner)
  • 15-20 mins push - pull w/ heavy springs, 40 mins misc calisthenics
  • Above w/12 sequential, slow, imperfect, push-ups (1 inch still to go!)
  • 1214 cals, 73 grams protein (24%)
  • Major progress on to-do list
Ama, Don't be too impressed. It wasn't a full hour of springs, more like 3 sets of 10 x 6 using springs (arms), then I've got a TRX, I did plank->knees in->pike, 2 sets of 10 (killer), rounded out the hour w/ some pilates core work and ended w/ roll-down (standing to floor)->plank->push ups.

On second thought, I'm impressed w/ myself that I can do all that! For the first 50+ years of my life I couldn't do two puny push-ups, so I've come pretty far. I never go to the gym, but I'm sold on the TRX as a good substitute. {Delete that last line if it's too much of a product endorsement!}
Old 10-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mern
I will continue looking for a better solution for myself.
Good luck in your search . Glad to see you staying strong in your convictions. If you're interested, I believe you can search registered dietitians in your area through a national registry on the web; I wouldn't be surprised if you could select areas of specialty, too. Whether you choose to or not, it's good to know you're still so diligent in searching for what is best.

Originally Posted by dmartz
On second thought, I'm impressed w/ myself that I can do all that! For the first 50+ years of my life I couldn't do two puny push-ups, so I've come pretty far. I never go to the gym, but I'm sold on the TRX as a good substitute. {Delete that last line if it's too much of a product endorsement!}
Good for you! You should be impressed; I'm glad you backed up and took credit for that! Congrats on your goals this week so far.

BTW, I think commenting in conversation about something that you like and could recommend is much different from coming on here just to shill products...I don't think it's inappropriate at all...

Hope, glad you're feeling better today!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:20 PM
FitDay Member

So how I did
Breakfast: Ezkiel English muffin
2.5 slices low fat lactose free swiss
2 local apple(s)
Lunch: local grass fed hamburger minus bun with pickles, ketchup and red onions -Nope, boiled shrimp
cucumber slices - nope
Dinner:
(grilled-no) salmon in parchment paper with tamari almonds, ginger and scallions
whatever veggie is here (string beans?) broccoli and cauliflower
Snacks:
100 cal pack of almonds
1 c. soup
1string cheese, which doesn't mean 2
1 sugar free cookie, 1, you hear me?

1350 cal, about evenly split carb, protein, fat
Old 10-24-2012, 02:25 PM
FitDay Member

Goals:
1) plan meals -yup, yup, yup
2) 1600 cals max -1265, 1357, 1350
3) stretch -yup, yup -eventually, yup
4) yoga, walk, something, 2 x this week (starting slow)- walk with DH, looked at the autumn colors, not today, gym
5) write (I am now on a deadline)- yup, no, yes
6) drink more water -trying, at least 48 oz; 56 oz at least, ? not good tho
7) send out positive vibrations yeah - yeah, yeah, yeah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.