Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread beginning 10/22/12 >

7 Day Motivational Thread beginning 10/22/12

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread beginning 10/22/12

Old 10-25-2012, 03:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default Wednesdays Results:

Goals:
Calories < 1700/day: 1586,1679,1731
Workout 3 times this week:MON,TUE,WED
Hit my mini-goal of 220#: Pending (Close this morning)
Motivate all the others here to get back on track!! Pending

No Gym and the wife ordered pizza for supper . Went just over my calories but not by much so I called it Pink. Just a few tenths of a pound to hit my mini-weight goal so I 'm pleased with that.

Hope:
Your Salmon sounds yummy!

Lisa:
You said you have trouble being hungry. What do your fats look like? I ask because fat has been shown to satiate hunger. I have a belief that those on a low fat/no fat diet have a hard time with carvings and hunger because their bodies are needing some fat. I try to get my fat from naturally occuring sources like dairy, meat and use Olive oil almost exclusively for cooking. My fat calories can be over 50% but even as a guy with less than 1700 calories I don't have the cravings and am not hungry all the time.

Mike:
Not sure Fruit Loops are really in the fruit family and I have no idea what satsuma is. But I don't claim to be southern either.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:59 AM
FitDay Member

Goals

- Limit 2 slices of bread/day. 0, 2, 1, 3
- Get to the gym 2x this week. N, N, N
- H2O, lots of H2O. Y, Y, Y
- Cook 5 healthy dinners (no eating out until the weekend). Y, Y,, Big deep fried, blu cheese covered NO,
- Bring lunch to work 3 out of 4 work days this week. N, Y, Y, , N
- Work 32 hrs minimum this week. 7.3, 7.4, 7.4

Pre-plan for Thursday

Coffee x 2 (or maybe 3 - gonna be that kind of day)
Banana
Oatmeal with little light soy milk
Lunch???? Did not bring lunch and will be running all day so not sure...
Wheat-thins for snack
Baked salmon with yogurt dill sauce
Cauliflour - I'll try mashing it, remember posts about that a while back
Chocolate square
Gin and tonic with lemon

Did anyone see the Giants kick a$$ last night!? GO San Francisco!!!

Ama
Old 10-25-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by rpmcduff

Lisa:
You said you have trouble being hungry. What do your fats look like? I ask because fat has been shown to satiate hunger. I have a belief that those on a low fat/no fat diet have a hard time with carvings and hunger because their bodies are needing some fat. I try to get my fat from naturally occuring sources like dairy, meat and use Olive oil almost exclusively for cooking. My fat calories can be over 50% but even as a guy with less than 1700 calories I don't have the cravings and am not hungry all the time.
Ron, i try to keep my fats around 30% and i try really hard to keep my saturated fats at under 10% (7% being the target). maybe i need more avocados and stuff for an increase in the poly and mono fats. i occasionally make an awesome avocado faux hummus that is spectacular, but it's also high in calories. that seems to be my dilemma...how to add things without my calories sky rocketing. such a difficult balance. i'm going to pay attention to your guys' menu choices and glean some ideas. today i'm having oatmeal with 1 Tbsp of raisins for breakfast, a tuna sammie on a wheat bagel thin, and for dinner chicken enchilada with some light sour cream. i've got some fruit in there, some popcorn, and i'm indulging in a small piece of pumpkin cake for 134 calories. (notice the absence of veggies? i just can't seem to make that a priority.) that comes to over 1600 calories already, and that's having nothing else with my tuna and only 1/4 c of oatmeal with 1/2 c milk. i find myself constantly thinking about my next meal. but maybe i need to swap some things around and look at having more healthy fats like you said. thanks for the input.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I shot my doc an email last night about the poor outcome of my visit with the dietitian. She agrees there must be another way to speed up my metabolism than to risk my now normal blood sugar. She and I make a good team on my health management. We agreed that between now and my January appointment with her, I will be doing more research into sensible things to try and she will be on the lookout for a low carb friendly dietitian in case we still feel the need for that.

Cassie, thanks for your suggestion. In 2013 Medicare is going to cover obesity dietitian counselling, but the way I understand it must be with a primary care physician's office and mine only has the dietitian from the pharmaceutical company. We'll get it figured out.

Mike, thanks for the d@*^ hug... ((((hug)))) Yep, you did it right. Thanks for the other offer to snap on my dietitian, but I'll pass on that. I think she had good intentions but doesn't understand there's more than one right way to accomplish almost any given task. Good job on your good works for the cooking demo and exercise tape. And well done on your fruit, too.

Lisa, my heart goes out to you on the insomnia. I've finally gotten past the snack cravings in the middle of the night because I have stronger cravings for sleep. I went to bed at 11:30 last night and it was 2:10 last time I looked at the clock. I agree with Mike that high fiber is a good way to help with feeling full longer--especially if one has to do low protein.

Menu today:

Breakfast: egg white omelet with turkey sausage, broccoli and cauliflower

Snack: almonds (I may switch to walnuts sometime soon--better for helping speed up metabolism.)

Lunch: Turkey, spinach, avocado, horderadish sauce on a low carb tortilla.

Snack: Protein shake and strawberries

Dinner: Baked cod, broccoli, low carb pasta with marinara sauce

Evening Snack: sugar free jello and protein shake
Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mern, they say that green tea can speed up your metabolism. Have you thought about trying it?
Old 10-25-2012, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

Ok so I sorta planned, sorta didn't. Had breakfast and dinner in my head and sort of winged it for lunch. Can I still post plan? I'll still post.

What I ate
Breakfast (plan and real):
Organic chicken sausage, no casing (Mern, you got me in the mood for sausage and ti was goooooooddddddd.....)
1 Local egg, 1 white
small local apple
Lunch: (um no meal)
1 c lentil soup (verrrrrry carby!!! did not realize how much so until - yup after I ate it)
1 local pear
Dinner (plan)
grass fed burger with raw onion and pickles
kimchi pickles
leftover cauliflower and broccoli
Snacks:
organic beef hotdog with mustard and sauerkraut
2 organic cheese sticks
1 100 cal package of Emerald wanuts and almonds or cocoa almonds

Ron, the salmon was delish. Can't take credit. It is a DH specialty.

It is cold here in the Northeast and I am hungry.

Lisa, insomnia sucks. But I don't have to tell you that. I feel your pain, don't often get a full night myself.

Mern, please let Mike slap your dietician. Did I write that out loud?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:18 AM
FitDay Member

Week going well. Had my annual physical today. The usual lecture - only problem really is my weight Maybe I'll shock him by being at goal by next year. Gotta go paint some boots for a halloween costume
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, thanks for the reminder about the green tea to boost metabolism. I knew that, but forgot about it and did not put it on the list of matabolism boosting foods that I started. I'll add it and will go make a pot of it as soon as I'm done posting.

Hope, I burst out laughing over your comment to let Mike slap the dietitian. LOL You may want to slap her yourself. She told me yesterday that people shouldn't eat eggs (neither whites nor yolks, nor egg substitute made from whites) veggies, or any meat at all for breakfast--not even low sat fat/low sodium/low cholesterol meat. Her exact words: "It's a HORRIBLE breakfast and not nutritious at all!" My doc may want to get in line, too, as my egg white/egg substitute veggie omelets with turkey sausage or turkey bacon was HER idea for me for a nutritious breakfast. I think it's wonderful that you eat local whenever possible. Glad you enjoyed your chicken sausage. Question: do you live in farm country or get your meat from a butcher that you know your meat is grass fed? OMG, my mouth started watering over your organic beef hotdog with mustard and sauerkraut!

Last edited by Mern; 10-25-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:50 AM
FitDay Member

Mary, glad your physical went well. Wow, that's fantastic that you only have to go once a year. I have bloodwork and a consult done every four months, but still can boast of no meds needed except for eye drops for my glaucoma. I'll be rooting for you to be at your weight goal by next year. I know you can do it. You're painting boots---for your own costume or what? What kind of Halloween costume is it?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mern, what a stupid comment from that dietitian. Horrible from her point of view, maybe, but it's a perfect breakfast that works for some. What a nitwit. I think it's wonderful to have your doc's support. You guys will get it figured out. Oh, and spicy food is thought to speed metabolism, also!

Hope, your food has been great this week!

Lisa, you asked earlier about my calories and I will give the best answer I can. First thing to mind is that it has been three days...it usually gets harder and I fall off the wagon with a thud! Second, I am in a panic mode because I have been losing (or gaining, as the case may be) ground over the past months and the holidays are looming and my clothes don't fit well! So it is do or die for me right now and maybe I have finally realized that. But beyond the mental part of it, here are my other thoughts, and others have alluded to. I'm not afraid to eat fat (mostly monounsaturated) and between that, protein, and fiber, it does keep me pretty satisfied, if not "full". When I dieted previously, I was a low-fat devotee and it never worked, because all I ate was processed, carby food. Now I eat real food (very little processed), a balance of carbs, protein, and fat, and a lot of fiber. And sometimes I still get hungry. So I play little mind tricks like telling myself that the sound of my stomach growling is actually fat cells going through an internal wood chipper. Seriously. It's all about the deficit, though, not the total amount of calories. You may get the same deficit I do, just by burning more (you may be taller, for example). And one more thing, I firmly believe that your stomach gets used to what you give it. When you are used to eating a lot, your stomach feels emptier when it's not "full." If you're used to eating less, your stomach shrinks and doesn't "expect" as much. It's not a great explanation, but if you can get used to eating less for a few days to get your stomach used to it, you might not feel as hungry. I hope that helps...sorry for writing a book about it here! Your description of what you eat seems good, but it does take some experimenting to find out what works and what doesn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.