Notices

weight loss and your clothing

Old 02-23-2010, 07:52 AM
FitDay Member

Red face weight loss and your clothing

Hello ladies~
So, my weight loss goal is to loose 30 pounds. Now thats a lot of pants sizes. What do you do when your clothes are getting to big but you are not even half way done?
I started a skinny clothes fund for when I am at my goal. I hadn't planned on using any of it until I was done. Do I use some of it now and get stuff a little tight? Or do I just keep wearing my big girl clothes until I hit my goal? (keeping in mind, I am a stay at home mom and we are on a tight budget LOL)
Old 02-23-2010, 08:32 AM
FitDay Member

that's a hard one. i would say make the clothes you have now last as long as you can. use belts to keep your pants up. check out second hand stores for cheap clothes to get you over that hump. even a seamstress to take a nip in at the waist. that's what i did cost me $10 to have pants taken in at the waist. cheaper than a new pair of pants. i'm sure other ladies will have other great ideas.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:57 AM
FitDay Member

How about a clothes swap with friends? I've seen this done and I think it's a great idea...most women are happy to get rid of their larger sizes (and burning that bridge is a great incentive to keep up the good habits) and someone probably needs your size as they slim down. Or the Salvation Army store sometimes has some inexpensive, suitable options. What a great problem to have! You are on the right path.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM
FitDay Member

I am in a tight budget too and what I do is to go to ross or mrshalls and go to the clearance department and buy jeans there, I have bought jeans from 49 cents to up to 5 dls which honestly is not much. Good luck and I hope it works!
Old 02-23-2010, 01:11 PM
FitDay Member

Simply Fab: Instant Button For Jeans

Found these the other day and I haven't gotten them yet, but I ordered them for my 6 year old daughter. She's tall and skinny, she needs a size 6 for the length but they fall down, and she has trouble working a belt by herself. I thought it was a fab idea!
Old 02-23-2010, 06:24 PM
FitDay Member

Hi There,

I totally understand where you are coming from! One little tidbit I picked up reading Dr Phil's book was that we shouldn't wait til we have lost all out weight to buy nice things. Even on a budget. I think that being a stay at home mom, which I was at the time, I was like you and didn't see the need to "dress up to clean the toilet", but have 1 or 2 items that fit well, that are not falling off, that make you feel good inside can actually do a lot to help towards your goal. I understand the money crunch! Like one of the other ladies mentioned, you can get some really good sales! Especially this time of year! I have gotten dresses at Old Navy for 97 cents! Pants for, like $4! It's just a matter of looking at the clearance rack. I never buy second-hand. And it's not because I am a snob or am "too good" to wear used items, I simply get better deals on clearance items than I can at Value Village. I simply cannot bring myself to pay $7.99 for second hand pants when I can watch the clearances and get brand new for $9 or $10 - or less in some cases.

Good luck! We're rooting for you!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mattangmccann
Hello ladies~
So, my weight loss goal is to loose 30 pounds. Now thats a lot of pants sizes. What do you do when your clothes are getting to big but you are not even half way done?
I started a skinny clothes fund for when I am at my goal. I hadn't planned on using any of it until I was done. Do I use some of it now and get stuff a little tight? Or do I just keep wearing my big girl clothes until I hit my goal? (keeping in mind, I am a stay at home mom and we are on a tight budget LOL)
hi ,

Hi, You should wear what you like it down. Or that you 'thinner'clothes or just the old and new I wear my old clothes from each other once the clothes sit blames me buy something new that too tight so I just need to lose weight for good in to sit, that motivates me as a bit like me because I want new clothes instead. old. So do I and if the clothes I no longer do I have now defaultroute a garbage bag that's all old clothes / bags / shoes ect. and if it goes that is full to the charity shop (shop for discarded clothing ect. for people who are not so large budget) that people usually have something to
Old 02-24-2010, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

I hear you. I'm right in between a mid size and my goal size right now. I bought a new wardrobe to go back to work, but none of it fits anymore. I've got a saggy bum look going... I'm having a really difficult time trying to justify another new wardrobe because all of my pre pregnancy clothes are tight. I work in an office environment and it is just not professional to show my rolls...

I also have trouble going to second hand stores, mostly because they can't accomodate my 2 kids in the change room with me and I don't have the time to rifle through all of the stuff there.

Another option is discount or liquidation stores. I went to Winners (in Canada - "Brand Names for Less") for my work wardrobe and I managed to get 5 pairs of dress pants for $100. Walmart or Target would have some good stuff for an ok price too.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 AM
FitDay Member

I second everyone's vote on the thrift stores. About 10 yrs ago, I lost about 55 lbs... (after gaining a bit back, I'm now losing only 10 lbs.)..and at that time, I bought my jeans at thrift stores, including Goodwill. I could deal with my tops being a bit loose, but colleagues were noticing my pants were falling off! There was no way I could wait to buy pants, esp. jeans- I live in jeans. Since most high quality brands of jeans cost a minimum $25 or so new, I had no choice. That's my suggestion. :-)
Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 AM
FitDay Member

Other places to shop are large department store outlets. I used to live near the Dillard's clothing outlet. At the end of every season everything from their stores came in at 75% off the regular price and it quickly went down drastically from there. I cannot tell you the savings we found - designer clothes for a couple of dollars! Maybe you could try to Google or Bing on the name of a department store plus the word 'outlet' and see what comes up in your area. Dillard's never advertised that their outlet was there, it was just by word of mouth and the place was always packed. No frills shopping & no returns.
Last summer I was in the same predicament you're in now and shopped at the clearance sections of Burlington's and Marshall's. To me something about wearing something new new (instead of used) is special, plus the savings there is the same as our local thrift store (Goodwill has really gone up in their prices!) You'll feel great with some new threads showing off that beautiful new body!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.