Notices

Hey Ladies, a new week is here! You know what time it is!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 PM
FitDay Member

Ama, I love your water goal--simply doing your best. Aw, I'll bet you get back on track today with the whole foods and veggies. I love fish--I usually buy less expensive fish like canned tuna, canned salmon, and frozen pollack, tillapia, and swai (Vietnamese tillapia) but yesterday treated myself to a 2 1/2 lb. bag of frozen cod fillets. I know fresh fish is better, but in my area of Ohio it's hard to find fresh fish that's really fresh and the prices of fresh fish are above my standard of living.

DH does virtually all the machines in the weight room at the Y (when he goes, which isn't often enough) and he's going to go with me today to demo, teach me how to use them properly and effectively myself, and help me figure out my initial settings for just the machines appropriate for my needs and goals right now. He did great helping me with the two machines I currently use in that room, so I want him to show me rather than someone who doesn't have a handle on my strengths and limitations.

I'm so fortunate that our health insurance pays for our gym membership since we're over 65--and the Y is less than 2 1/2 miles down the road. I usualy DETEST exercise, but right now I look forward to the four days a week I exercise at the Y. I exercise at home on Saturdays.

Last edited by Mern; 09-20-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Mern

Ann, kudos on your five mile run and on all you do with rearing two children, working full time, taking care of your home, exercising, etc. I don't know how you do all that! When I was your age ith two children I didn't work outside the home or exercise and didn't have a computer to have to deal with emails. You are an amazing, accomplished woman! I keep procrastinating about making an appointment at the Y for a tour and demo of more machines in the weight room appropriate for my ability and needs.
Thanks Mern! Its tough but I just live on coffee half the time to make it through the day!! As long as I keep moving and going, I don't think about how tired I am.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 AM
FitDay Member

Goals for the week...here goes...
1. Log everythingyes,yes,yes
2. Eat 4 servings fruit/vegetables4.5,4,3
3. Keep carb/protein within limit 120carb/60g proteinno
4. Drink at least 6 glasses of water a day
5. Exercise(same goal)--didn't get enough last week so here's hoping for this weekabout 40 mins yesterday--Wii fit and cut grass

Personal goals
1. WRITE. There is workshop at local library in 2 weeks and I want to have some stuff done
2. Finish cleaning out spare room (I can at least see the top of the bed again )
3. Pull out weeds in driveway and front lawn...a job I hateok Mike, done this morning
Old 09-20-2012, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

Wednesday:

1. LOG EVERYTHING, no matter how small. Yes, Yes, Yes
2. Calories under 1100. 1278, 1698, 1205
3. Strictly limit breads and cheese; no deep-fried ANYTHING!!! Yes, No, Better
4. Take ALL vitamins and supplements; even the big, nasty ones. Yes, Yes, Yes
5. 3-4 fruits and veggies a day. Yes, Yes, Yes
6. Be grateful, humble and patient with everyone... no matter how hard. Yes, Yes, Yes

Just starting to feel caught up with everything that's been going on lately. Fell asleep on the couch last night at 7 pm, which never happens. (In fact, my husband said I was snoring!) I don't know if it's the sudden onset of unusually cold weather or what (...29* when I woke up yesterday!) but I have been totally wiped out. I generally don't heat the house until mid-October, so I made a huge pot of old-fashioned beef stew and let it cook slowly in the oven all afternoon. Held my eating to one serving, but husband dove in face first and so I have very little for left-overs.

It's interesting, now that we are empty-nesters... things have changed that I never had really thought about. Cooking for two is interesting! Having had at least one child at home for the past 30 years, it's wonderful but is going to take some getting use to. Now I can make all of those dinners that my husband and I like, but that our kids did not. Grocery shopping for two- I'm used to not only grocery shopping for a family but for the kids friends, who often ate here, and my mom's home. This week, I REALLY over-bought! Laundry- it takes me a week now to get a full load of whites or darks and I've been using the same bottle of laundry soap since daughter left! (It's amazing how much laundry an 18 yo girl generates... pj's, casual clothes, uniforms, work clothes, dress clothes.) And I was also used to doing my mom's wash for her home.

It has changed my eating as well... and probably not for the best. I always ran a really old-fashioned 50's type home when my kids were here. That meant a big, hot, nutritious dinner at 5:30 every weeknight. Unless you had a really good reason, you were expected to be here. As I overheard my son tell one of his friends once, "In our home, it's 'AIS at 5:30'. (Ass In Seat) You don't mess with dinner." Now, if I feel like cooking, I do. If I don't, we just go out. Or, I make much smaller, more casual meals which usually means more bread, etc.

I have LOTS to figure out, but I want to keep it as healthy as possible and yet not give up our traditional, evening meal favorites. I can see where it would be very easy to pick up weight with all of these changes... like I said, LOTS to figure out!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

Oh my gosh Quinn I can so relate to your post!! We went from cooking for 4 to cooking for 2 in 3yrs and it took quite some getting used to. My Mom and I eat out more too. Add on changing diet a yr ago July to low protein and then finding out I'm diabetic and it's even more of an adjustment--can we say stress??

Jenn
Old 09-20-2012, 03:48 AM
FitDay Member

GOALS:Join the 7 Day Thread: DONE, (maybe some regrets, lol)
Calories < 1700: 2235!, 1831, 1761
Workout 3 days: NO, NO, NO

Mern; Weights/machines are my favorite part of working out. Plus they build muscle which in turn burns more calories and increases your metabolism. Too many women are intimidated by the weights and machines. Just apply some common sense so you avoid injury. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:13 AM
FitDay Member

Ann, I DO remember that--running on coffee and adrenaline and having no time to even realize how tired I was.

Jenn, you're coming along nicely on your goals-just that one red no for carbs and protein. Lets see what you can do on that today. I'll try harder on my sat fat today--haven't been doing very well on that one this week.

Quinn, wow, you're doing GREAT on your goals. Well, I'm glad you were able to crash early on the couch yesterday without having to take care of someone or to take someone somewhere. It's about time you get to do stuff like that. Wow, I guess I'm mean. LOL Live in GD was not quite 17 when she moved in with us and from day one has been expected to do her own laundry. (My sisters and I each had to do our own laundry when we turned 14.) GD eats fairly healthfully but doesn't enjoy the same foods that DH and I eat, so she buys and cooks her own food if she's not eating out with BF or on the run between school and work. It certainly is nice to be able to cook when you feel like and to not cook if you don't feel like it. Sometimes DH and I eat on leftovers or each cook our own dinner. Other times we share the cooking by each contributing one or two dishes. Oh, I have no doubt you'll figure out how to adjust to your new, more free lifestyle without gaining weight. You have such a good head on your shouders.

Jenn, it is hard to manage protein and carbs all at the same time when having to manage blood sugars. You are inspirational!

Ron, thanks for your encouragement on the weights/machines. DH is a really good teacher. We went through and he helped me figure out the settings for four machines to start out with at my level of mobility and strength, considering shoulder, knee, and back problems of this 66 year old while still considering that my range of motion is improving and knee problems seem to be decreasing since using the elliptical and stationary bike. I'll be doing the Back Extention, Tricep Press, Torso Rotation, and Ab machines to start out in addition to the elliptical, stationary bike, strength training, and seniors (Silver Sneakers) cardio program at the Y. I used to HATE excercise with a passion. Now that I've found exercises that are right for me PLUS enjoyable, I find my five days per week exercise invigorating and actually look forward to it. I never would have thought I'd be saying that and meaning it. Now I'm looking forward to YOUR report on what YOU did at the gym recently. Hint, hint.

Oh, I almost forgot-- today I reached a mini-goal of 1/2 mile on the elliptical without stopping to rest. I'll add 1/10 of a mile until I get up to one whole mile non-stop and then probably will increase the intensity before adding more distance.

Last edited by Mern; 09-20-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:22 AM
FitDay Member

Question hello new here.

Hello, I was told to come check out this thread, uumm I don't really know what to do here lol i just got signed up to this site last night,
goals, uumm to get up and work out ever day or so,
well thats where i will start off any way, thanks.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nightshade1991
Hello, I was told to come check out this thread, uumm I don't really know what to do here lol i just got signed up to this site last night,
goals, uumm to get up and work out ever day or so,
well thats where i will start off any way, thanks.
Welcome aboard! This is basically an accountability thread. Just post up what you'd like to accomplish for the week and update daily. We all work together to motivate and push each other. The new thread starts and is stickied up top every Monday but there's no reason to wait until them. Jump right in.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:17 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Welcome aboard! This is basically an accountability thread. Just post up what you'd like to accomplish for the week and update daily. We all work together to motivate and push each other. The new thread starts and is stickied up top every Monday but there's no reason to wait until them. Jump right in.
well thank you,
thats awesome just what I need otherwise I will never get up and do it :/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.