Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 9/4/2012 Fresh start, everyone!

Old 09-08-2012, 03:13 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Ann, half a cupcake is better than a whole one...or two...! I don't think calories are wasted if they're worth it. Is the little guy letting you get any good sleep?
Of course not! Still up a few times during the night but my body is sadly used to the lack of sleep and reliance on a few cups of coffee in the morning to function. One more week off and then back to work full time on the 17th. Trying to enjoy every minute of being here while I can. I love working but still sad at the same time to not be here.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:14 PM
FitDay Member

I am happy to say that I am one pound away from my first goal and actually ran 4 miles with my friend today...although I had to stop a few times since my legs were cashed from running the night before. But overall pretty happy at the end of this week and now working towards meeting my next goal.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:46 AM
FitDay Member

Wow... it is quiet!! Well, this weekend was pretty much a total wash for me, food-wise. Could have done a lot worse, but sure could have done better. Haven't logged Friday through today, but my calories weren't that bad. Did have an incredibly lovely 3-day weekend with hubby, transforming our yard and home from summer to fall mode. Found beautiful mums at HD and the property looks amazing, I must say. I've been busy also transforming our home from "raising children mode" to "childless mode", which has also been therapeutic and fun. Crazy things, like buying new silverware and dishes, cleaning cupboards and closets, making meals that my daughter hates, lol. I'm really enjoying this new phase and I know that she is too, which makes it a win-win.

Made an awesome peach cobbler last night with the last of daughter's fruit/veggie stand peaches... I know, I know... I could have found a healthier way to use them up! But with a hot cup of coffee late last night, it was really a treat.

Did a little more shopping this morning and everything else has to wait because it is, after all, PACKER SUNDAY!!! (With a Detroit game as the opening act at noon!) So, I'm one happy girl!

Judi,
It feels good to be back here. When life gets busy, I always miss the friendship and support that I find here. Telling parents bad news always hurts; it somehow brings us back to our own parent/child relationship with them, no matter how old we now are. I'm sure after the initial shock they will be a great source of comfort and support. By the way, the cranberry and gin is an incredible way to get a full serving of fruit, don't you think?? lol Makes me want to dig in to my wine supply for today's game... hmmmm... sounds like a plan! You're handling everything with grace and sound judgement. One minute at a time, followed by one hour and then one day. You're strong, capable and unstoppable... no matter what, never forget that. Oh, and send some salsa my way; you're making me hungry!

Cassie,
Ahh... going home... yes, it's a mixed bag. I was having an incredible time laughing and reminiscing with my mom and relaying the stories to my husband. But, after I returned home, it hit me that most of my family is no longer with us and then it wasn't fun any more. Kind of like when my husband arranged for me to spend the afternoon last summer at my childhood home for my birthday. Things that you haven't thought of in years and years, both the good and the bad, come rushing at you like a title wave and it's much more powerful than you and usually catches you completely off guard. Part of the sadness, as well I'm sure, has to do with the fact that these are all probably "lasts" for my mom and I. Although I would never want to return to my home town to live, a much larger part of me remains there than I was aware of prior to Friday, if that makes sense. Familiar foods, familiar smells, familiar places bring back memories of my dad and brother who are no longer here who made our family whole; memories that have been filed away for a long time. I'm the type of person that can "compartmentalize" bad memories and store them away. I purposely don't remember or "celebrate" dates of sad events, etc. because I don't want to relive them year after year. But, when taking a trip such as this one, you're forced to do just that and it always takes me a day or two to file them back away... lol.

Anyway, off to my opening day double-header (and bottle of wine... gee, thanks Judi! lol ) Probably the only way I'm going to make my quota of fruit for the weekend! lol

Have a great afternoon, all!

quinn
Old 09-09-2012, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

Happy Sunday! It's been a lovely weekend . I did decide to have a relaxing day yesterday instead of painting the ceiling. I ended up baking and cooking all day; I tried three new recipes and miraculously stayed pretty much on target with my calories, less than 100 over. I made banana bread, light shortcakes with freshly whipped cream and strawberries, and fish tacos with homemade salsa and chipotle pepper-adobo sauce. I did a 40-minute workout with the weights and hubby and I went for a half-hour run.

I've just finished watching the men's semis (US Open) and am getting ready to roll right into Orioles-Yankees game, after which I hope to hit the trail for another run and then work on my son's scrapbook for a bit this evening. Our heat and humidity has broken for now (we'll get it back for a bit, I'm sure), but it is wonderful to have the windows open and to get outside.

Although I think I'm in trouble for this coming week...hubby is currently on a website and has informed me that it is Restaurant Week in our area...there are about 20 restaurants that are offering prix fixe menus with appetizers, entrees, and desserts for $15, $25, or $35. One of the places has listed as a dessert fried Oreo beignets, dusted with powdered sugar and served with ice cream. Eek

Quinn, I totally hear where you are. When I was growing up, my whole family was in the same town and I always saw aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, everyone. My town also feels like it is still a part of me in many ways, part happy nostalgia and part wistful knowing that it will never be the same. Lately I've been combing the internet to find classic recipes that I remember from restaurants there and replicating them...along with ones my grandmothers used to make. It's also bittersweet. At any rate, I'm glad you had such a great day with your mom and in moving on in this next phase.

Judi, hope the salsa is going well for you today and that the boys are pulling their weight!!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 09-09-2012 at 05:40 AM.