Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Is it being obsessive or good planning? >

Is it being obsessive or good planning?

Community
Notices

Is it being obsessive or good planning?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:40 AM
FitDay Member

Default Is it being obsessive or good planning?

I've made a life change decision about 7 years ago to loose the extra weight and keep it off. So far, I consider myself to have been successful with that. At 5'6" I'm down to 148lbs, 65lbs lost and still gone!
Although I'm not at the weight I want to be at and I have my yo-yo moments, but for the most part, I'm steady. I give most of this credit to logging what I eat and maintaining an active lifestyle. I run on average 6 mi. in a session and weight lift for about half hr.
My issue is when I tell my friends or people I meet how I acheived my goal and what I did, I'm referred to as being obsessed with it. I'm very concious of what I eat & could tell you the calorie count of a Hershy's kiss (20). Is this being obsessive??
Old 08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
FitDay Member

Nah, I wouldn't say it is obsessive,and I am right there with you. I weigh everything I eat! Even things that I know how much they weigh,give or take... I weigh my olives that I put on my salad. Folks think I am obsessive too, but for too long I was on the opposite end of the spectrum, puttering along, thinking I was eating healthy and within a caloric range. You have to do what works for you. Make no apologies for it. You are smarter and better for it!
Old 08-11-2012, 02:15 AM
FitDay Member

who cares what other people think? You're doing what's right for you. I hear comments frequently like "You're so thin, you probably never have to worry about your weight", and think - if they only knew! I am thin BECAUSE I've been conscientious about my diet and exercise regularly.
I do not get into conversations with anyone about my specific food choices - because frankly, I get REALLY bored when people decide to share with me what they've eaten - or not eaten.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:19 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Your friends might just be being critical of you as a defense against their inner voice that says they should also be swimming against the tide. The tide is our cultural dysfunction around food and eating - it takes the kind of constant mindfulness that you practice to swim against it. For those of us trying to lose fat or maintain a loss, failing to plan is planning to fail.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

It's not being obsessive. You are successful at maintaining your weight loss, a goal hard to reach for most people!
Old 08-11-2012, 11:01 PM
FitDay Member

Weigh and measure, know, not guess, as close as possible, how many calories you are eating. It's the only way to know whether you're in a calorie deficit or not. You're doing the right thing, don't let other's comments change what you're doing for yourself. If they call you obssessed you can tell them "No, I'm focused."
Old 08-13-2012, 03:50 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks everybody....nice to know I'm not the only one on the planet who has an understanding of it.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 PM
FitDay Member

Nope. I wouldn't say obbessive
Old 08-19-2012, 05:56 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Nope, I wouldn't say obsessive either. I know from experience how just grabbing a little bit here and there (even of healthy food!) can add the pounds. I have also wondered if I would continue to weigh, measure, and log forever...and I decided that if I need to to maintain my weight, so be it! If someone else thinks what I need to do to stay on track is obsessive because they don't need to do it, I consider them lucky...I just can't do it that way...so far, anyway.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:53 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, speaking from someone on the other side of the spectrum, its not for anyone to say. If you are extreme in your caloric intake, there are extreme consequences. Ive been there. Its up to you to see the numbers and realize if you are obsessed or not. If you are doubting yourself, you probably are. Hope you continue to maintain, without health sacrifices.